Will sanctions be the end of the tube resurgence?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by BayouTiger, Feb 23, 2022.

1. Gibsonian

Gibsonian Forum Resident

If we pollute too much the earth will take care of the people part. It will eliminate the organism producing the problem.

rischa, jonwoody, Roland Bart and 2 others like this.
  2. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

Oh yes, as I said in another post, tube supply (among a lot of other goods) has already been an issue, so I don’t even know if we’d be able to point to this situation as a cause going forward.

And, again, I agree there are likely to be much larger concerns that will impact more people in more essential ways. And there is of course a major humanitarian atrocity taking place. Still, if I need vacuum tubes for something that is important to me, I need those tubes, and anything that might make getting them difficult is still a concern.

3. yamfan

yamfan Forum Resident

I run them on all the time. I want more global warming so that I can play tennis here year round. I have 2 sets of spares for my pre amp and mid monos.

hi_watt likes this.
  4. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

Just ordered a spare quad of Tung-Sol KT120. The installed quad is new. Hopefully I’ll be good for a “little” while.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  5. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

Yep, that's because and all of those unrepairable use-once and then throw-away products are so much more environmentally friendly than is a tube amp which was build 60+ years ago and which is still running strong to this day. In the mean time one could have owned dozens of environmentally-friendly back plastic crap components which presently now occupy landfills. :rolleyes:

6. Gizmo90

Gizmo90 Ashes to ashes, funk to funky

Hey that's a good point!

Doctor Fine likes this.
  7. vwestlife

vwestlife Forum Resident

This has really hurt the hobby of restoring vintage radios and TVs, because if it happens to need a tube that is coveted by audiophiles, the cost to repair instantly exceeds its value.

8. SteveFord

SteveFord Forum Resident

That weird little shrimp running Russia is planning on the West caving when we all have to revert to solid state amps.
    Fiendishly clever but we can always downgrade our speakers.

Big Blue likes this.
  9. Roland Bart

Roland Bart French doctor

We must preserve democracy and human rights and stop buying russian tubes. China makes very good ones at an affordable price.

10. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

That is a hobby which I find difficult to understand. Analog TV isn't broadcast anymore. And analog radio is dying fast, including ham radio (unfortunately). So what can one do with a beautifully restored Tube TV today other than to let it collect dust or watch static?

Last edited: Feb 24, 2022
    SandAndGlass and Big Blue like this.
  11. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

There are converters.

DeFriend likes this.
  12. Uglyversal

Uglyversal Forum Resident

There are lots of convertors and also you can plug plenty of other collectables like a Commodore64, the first VHS recorder, a 1970's Atari and so on

13. Roland Bart

I haven't read about ham radio even on Hifi Pig.

14. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

We ain't getting any new tubes from any current factory if that is the case.

Benzion and TarnishedEars like this.
  15. Roland Bart

S
    Sorry, it was a bad joke to exorcise the situation.

Big Blue, jonwoody, Ntotrar and 2 others like this.
  16. Khorn

Khorn Dynagrunt Obversarian

Hmm….

17. SteveFord

SteveFord Forum Resident

I knew you were kidding.
    A previous poster go it right, worse case another country buys the Russian power tubes, marks them up, relabels them and sells them to us.
    Plenty of old signal tubes floating around and they generally sound better, too.

18. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

I bought a spare set of K120s because of this thread. Not something I really wanted to do. But prudence is warranted, in this case.

19. PopularChuck

PopularChuck Senior Member

I see what you did there...

20. Lowrider75

Lowrider75 Forum Resident

In the last couple of years (pre pandemic) prices of NOS tubes have been increasing. The tubes you use may still be available but will also be affected by price increases.
    I was keeping in touch with Brent Jessee last year due to the fact that many of the NOS 6SN7's I use were often out of stock. Eventually I was able to purchase a good supply of premium tubes. A great thing about Brent is that he hasn't raised his prices since tube availability has been diminishing. Unscrupulous Ebay dealers are asking outrageous prices for in-demand tubes (of questionable quality). Even prices at Vintage Tube Services have increased. I recently paid $450 for a pair of Ken Rads which previously cost much less 2 years ago.
    The tubes I use are in the $350 to $400/pair range (6SN7 & 7308) and I consider myself lucky to have a good supply now. I see prices for these tubes have increased since I made my purchases.

33na3rd and jonwoody like this.
  21. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

no effect whatsoever....

Tullman likes this.
  22. Lowrider75

Lowrider75 Forum Resident

I agree. Look at car prices, and the new kitchen appliances I purchased were higher than not very long ago.

Big Blue and jonwoody like this.
  23. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

That should be a perk of being an AR customer!

SandAndGlass likes this.
  24. slovell

slovell Retired Mudshark

That's a dam$ pertinent question. It hadn't occurred to me and my old carbonized brain until you posted it. If nothing else, I'm fairly sure this mess will drive the price of reissued tubes through the roof.

BayouTiger likes this.
  25. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Even if it's only an excuse to raise prices.