Will sanctions be the end of the tube resurgence?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by BayouTiger, Feb 23, 2022.

1. Classic Car Guy

Classic Car Guy - Touch The Face Of God -

I'm probably on somewhat similar. If I get the chance to win or have an excessive money, I'll g0 straight with WE300b. What sucks is I need 4 to run my amp.. Otherwise I would have bought a pair.

2. Classic Car Guy

Previously looking at the specs if your new Linton speakers and I'm impress especially when I heard the sound on the video. Its very "mid-bassy".
    Powering with a tube amp, "feels like" needing a low-medium power to make them sing which actually I prefer more.
    I was going to say my amp guy is innovating so much designs lately that's really blowing my mind and may contribute ideas to your upcoming tube amp search. In my opinion, these are the way of the future on high fidelity tube amps.:-plnktn-:

3. Classic Car Guy

4. Lowrider75

Lowrider75 Forum Resident

Same here. My amp is using SED Winged C 6H13C. Factory has long since closed.
    There are 10 in the amp and I have 6 spares. I don't know what I'll do if I run out. I haven't found any other tubes that give my system this sweet sound.

jonwoody likes this.
  5. ca1ore

ca1ore Forum Resident

Yeah, when I got my VTLs in 2008, they came with SED winged C 6550s. I miss them .....

SteveFord and Lowrider75 like this.
  6. Classic Car Guy

I just bought another 6sn7 and hopefully the last one. I'm just totally done with buying tubes for the way how their prices are today, "crazy."
    I couldn't afford to buy a match. I have to buy these preamp tubes one by one and test it.
    I didn't know I was going to be using a 6sl7 along the way. Its a good thing I have 4 NOS RCA stashed for almost 30 years. This new amp that I'm getting needs 1. Hopefully this will last me 20 years.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2023
    jonwoody and SandAndGlass like this.
  7. Benzion

Benzion "Cogito, ergo sum" Forum Resident

The OTL amp builders that use a battalion of tubes in every unit are going to start feeling the squeeze soon, if not already. I expect a shift to single-ended models, as they use fewer tubes. I'm well stocked for now and foreseeable future, and could probably ask friends to get me tubes from Russia, but overall, the situation is not good here.

8. Classic Car Guy

As of what I know, there is still a lot more. But if its being harvest as an OTL supply, that might be the case.
    I have 16 of the ruskie's. Hopefully this should take me longer to use. This new amp that's coming, I only need 1 per side and its set very conservative in SE mode.
    How's your new amp?

9. Benzion

Fine, thanks. Haven't been in the mood to play much lately.

Classic Car Guy likes this.
  10. Classic Car Guy

Oh man its 78 degrees in my room. I gotta get the AC ready to fire soon. Otherwise no tube amps...:sweating:

11. Benzion

I don't like AC at home, and don't use until it gets over 90 outside. And still use my three tube amps in summer.

jonwoody, C10 and SandAndGlass like this.
  12. Classic Car Guy

I didn't know it gets over 90 in NY. Does it gets hot and humid?
    or atleast the air is moving?

13. Benzion

It even gets over 100 at times. Very humid.

14. Classic Car Guy

Check it out.. I think I'll be getting my new custom made amp 8 months earlier than I thought.. :laugh:
    Fluxion A-331 6C33C-b SE recording amp.

Benzion likes this.
  15. ca1ore

ca1ore Forum Resident

Haven’t needed, nor tried, to actually purchase any tubes ….. but upon a cursory scan availability appears worse than ever. Upscale seems only to sell to prior customers of PL amps. TD still not selling any Russian tubes (that I could see) and tube store is out of most 6550/KT88-KT120 varieties. Viva has the Chinese brands.

16. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

Viva seems to have a full slate of Russian New Sensor offerings in the 6CA7/EL34/KT77 family. I see Russian New Sensor KT88s and 6L6s and 6922s. They don't seem to have too much of a shortage of Russian made tubes.

17. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

I very much doubt that there is an actual shortage?

18. Classic Car Guy

what tubes?
    With the NOS 6c33c-b there's no way to tell. No one is making it today so I bought I what I can get. The rest of any common tubes, there are other places to get those.

Ham Sandwich likes this.
  19. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

For amps that rely on old tubes like that with no modern production equivalent you've got to buy (hoard) enough NOS tubes of that type to keep the amp running for as many years as you expect to be using the amp. Figure out how many hours the tubes will last, figure out how many years that will be for each set of tubes with your expected listening hours. And buy (hoard) enough tubes to keep the amp going for as many years as you want the amp to play, plus a few extra tubes to replace sets that die a premature death. That's the reality of dealing with tube amps that rely on old tubes with no modern production equivalent.

Classic Car Guy likes this.
  20. Classic Car Guy

jonwoody likes this.
  21. Classic Car Guy

Exactly.. So far I got 3 sets of new quads. According to the seller it took him so many tubes to get them matched sets. So for a 2nd system like where this tubes will go, atleast I can get a minimum of 15 years.. may be more. But I have to get a tube tester for this type so I can monitor the wear in time.
    edited. I also have an extra new loose 7 pieces

Ham Sandwich likes this.
  22. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

Should be doing that anyway...

Tullman and Classic Car Guy like this.
  23. Classic Car Guy

Hey.. I wanna use this as an iphone tone ringer. How do I do that? :laugh:
    Megatron Man iPhone Ringer

SandAndGlass likes this.
  24. Classic Car Guy

I was listening to this amp right now in my system. This amp has a lot of bass and very nice classy mid-bass and high's...

SandAndGlass likes this.
  25. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

There most certainly was a problem a year ago problem because of sanctions against Russia with tubes getting into the US. At first they were cut off (in part too because not only of NATO action but Russian action), now I think, plus consumers were stocking up, so there was a shortage. And with the MFN status lifted on Russian, there are, at least in many product categories -- I don't know specifically about tubes -- higher tariffs than before, so even as the availability seems to have improved, prices have remained high. But there doesn't seem to be the same shortage.

That of course puts aside the question of whether or not someone wants to continue to buy products from a company doing all it's manufacturing in Russia.