Will sanctions be the end of the tube resurgence?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by BayouTiger, Feb 23, 2022.

1. motorstereo

motorstereo Forum Resident

I'm not much of a tube guy but I admit I'm hoping for this outcome to:agree:.

2. Khorn

Khorn Dynagrunt Obversarian

I’d be more than happy to pay a premium for them as I already know it would be well worth it. We have the expertise and capability to lead the way.

motorstereo likes this.
  3. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

Wouldn't hold my breath on this one. Given the relatively limited scale of the market opportunity relative to the start up and environmental costs, I can't see this being an a very attractive investment to too many sources of capital.

Ear Candy, tlowe and 420JJJazz666 like this.
  4. Khorn

Guess we’ll just have to wait and see. I’m more optimistic. Market may be relatively small but very lucrative given the intended target.

5. Doctor Fine

Doctor Fine "So Hip It Would Blister Your Brain"

I can't live in a world where tubes define my musical existence.
    Think I'll start a band.
    Bluegrass. All acoustic.
    Anybody IN?
    Playing guitar out on the back porch with a couple friends.
    You know---singing and stuff.
    Wowsa!

jonwoody likes this.
  6. Oddiofyl

Oddiofyl Forum Resident

I did the math.... yes $1500 is a LOT for a pair of WE 300b tubes, but there are a lot of amps out there that cost the same to re-tube because there are two or four quads of large KT *** bottles in there that amount to the same or more.

Hopefully they will outlast their warranty, I know its pro rated but hopefully they prove to be rugged and long lasting. I've spent over $2k on the WE and NOS rectifiers and input tubes for this amp , should have it soon.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  7. motorstereo

motorstereo Forum Resident

Agreed; and this also applies to most anything and everything consumable

Khorn likes this.
  8. BillWojo

BillWojo Forum Resident

Don't hold your breath. It's took years before the new Western Electric Company (in name only) could get their 300B ready for release. A credit to them.
    Most of the skill set and know how is sitting in graves now, some of the materials are highly toxic and labor is to expensive.
    Not gonna happen.

BillWojo

jonwoody, Rolltide and Khorn like this.
  9. DeFriend

DeFriend Well-Known Member

Yep, I have a digital TV tuner connected to my first HDTV flatscreen, a 280 lb Panasonic that has no built-in digital tuner.

10. DeFriend

DeFriend Well-Known Member

I have (4) of the 6V6 GT Japanese Magnavox tubes (not GTA) that I pulled from a curbside console (and all the other USA, Great Britain, and Japan tubes that were in the same console).
    Make me an offer; I'm not in the business of hoarding.

11. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

I’m in the same position. New tubes in the amp, two spare power tube quads now stored away. I imagine these will be the only Tung-Sol KT120 tubes I'll likely ever see. It's good the amp can use other tubes (sourced from Asia?).

SandAndGlass likes this.
  12. MattHooper

MattHooper Forum Resident

Can anyone give some insight, e.g. a list even if short, of the type of tubes (or tube manufacturers) that are Russion, or whose supply is ikely to take a hit due to sanctions?

Just as a for instance: Tung-sol KT120s and 6550s?

(Those are what I use for output tubes on my CJ amps).

I ordered some spare input NOS tubes quite a while ago that...friggin' hell...might have got delayed/lost in transit.

13. ca1ore

ca1ore Forum Resident

Sounds about right. I’ve two full replacement sets of tubes (plus a few extra) for my VTL amps …. and the current set still have some life left. So I figure that gets me through the next decade. I don’t know what the current inventory is at the bigger sellers. GoldLion KT88 had been hard to find even before the the invasion, so doesn’t bode well for folks who need those. This is such a niche market, hard to see it getting much traction elsewhere.

14. Oddiofyl

Oddiofyl Forum Resident

I bought some JJ 12ax7 and 12au7 today.....im stockpiling.

15. Khorn

Hmm….hope the declaration of the “Solid States of America” are not imminent!

SandAndGlass and jonwoody like this.
  16. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

New Sensor which is an American company founded by a guy named Mike Matthews, creator of Electro Harmonix guitar effects, makes a lot of tubes in their factory in Saratov, Russia under a variety of brand names, some new, some old classic brand names that New Sensor bought the rights to -- Electro Harmonix, Tung Sol, Mullard, Sovtek, Genelex/Gold Lion. They also I think source some tubes from China, but nearly all the tubes of any type from those brands are coming from their Russian factory.

SandAndGlass, tlowe and MattHooper like this.
  17. Oddiofyl

Oddiofyl Forum Resident

Am I insane buying spare tubes for an amp I'm going to put into storage or maybe even sell? Probably but I really,don't like getting gouged on glass so to me they will always be worth something. I plan on doing a second system, I have everything but speakers . Tuner, preamp, amps, dac..... who knows , I could sell everything .

18. jonwoody

jonwoody Tragically Unhip

These 6 tubes just arrived for my preamp 70s made in the USA. Fingers crossed the sound good I hear the 70s were not the best for Sylvania tubes. Great service as usual from Tube Depot ordered Wednesday evening here today.

[​IMG]

19. Oddiofyl

Oddiofyl Forum Resident

That’s what I’m talking about !!! I buy JAN N.O.S. whenever possible. None better

jonwoody likes this.
  20. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

If he couldn't sell tubes to the US, perhaps he could open a plant in the US. He has the schematics and he could move the equipment to the US.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  21. Oddiofyl

Oddiofyl Forum Resident

I have 6 rectifiers and 5 pairs of input tubes for my incoming amp…..

22. Ulises

Ulises Forum Resident

Anyone know a good Chinese/ non-Russian kt-88? I tried the psvane grey bottles and loved both the sound and the looks, but have found they are less durable than the Genelex Gold Lion kt-88s I’ve used in the past (and am using now) in my Primaluna Dialogue Two.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2022
  23. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

JJ Electronic makes their tubes in Slovakia. JJ Electronic makes a variety of pre-amp tubes, power tubes, and rectifier tubes.

JJ Electronic tubes: JJ Electronic - Vacuum tubes

SandAndGlass and Ulises like this.
  24. MattHooper

MattHooper Forum Resident

I wasn't even aware of JJ tubes. Do they have a good reputation for quality?

25. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

They had some quality control issues with an EL 34 type a long time ago and angry old men on the internet will never forgive them, but they make good tubes. Being OEM in Luxman gear speaks for itself in my opinion.