Will/Should Phish be in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Christian Hill, Oct 15, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Christian Hill

Christian Hill It's all in the mind Thread Starter

They probably will as the potential list of inductees gets smaller and smaller year after year.

[​IMG]

2. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

What? The list gets longer. There are a lot bands that still aren't in. With only 5 inductees allowed in every year, the list grows. Currently, you get a pass if you are female with an unwritten +2 rule where the induction qualification are lower. Last I checked, Fish doesn't have female members. There are 16 nominated for 2020 and IMO they all are more deserving than Fish. This includes Whitney Houston and Pat Benatar who will probably get in if Rufus featuring Chaka Khan doesn't take their spot.

3. jc1027

jc1027 Forum Resident

Maybe, just after WEEN gets in.....

Sean, Tristero, Kevin j and 3 others like this.
  4. Crimson jon

Crimson jon Forum Resident

They deserve to be..

You enjoy myself and divided sky are two of the best prog/jazz rock pieces ever laid down. They have managed to stay popular enough to play large venues year after year.

adamos, Larry Schmidt and petem1966 like this.
  5. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

They'd fit in well there

pig bodine likes this.
  6. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

Would have to be a small list.

7. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

There's a difference between priorities, and artists who belong in. That's one of the things I think has muddied the conversation about the Hall all these years ("He shouldn't be in until after he gets in..."), and has subsumed the question of, "Yes, but, priorities or no, does this person/persons deserve to be there...?"

I think Phish has definitely had a significant, legendary effect in the jamband culture of the touring rock and roll phenomenon. I can't personally say they deserve their status (any more than the musicality of The Grateful Dead once the weed wears off), but it exists, thus, validity. I'm not making a personal judgement, as I have no real appreciation for it, but even a casual observer can recognize the cornerstone of a movement, when you can't see past it on the way into the arena.

Christian Hill likes this.
  8. Christian Hill

Christian Hill It's all in the mind Thread Starter

The list for Rock and Roll acts gets smaller. If you look around today who will be inducted in 25 years?

9. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

They've already shown they'll take rappers

Kendrick Lamar will get in through the poetic majesty of his Pulitzer Prize winning "Bitch, Don't Steal My Vibe".

ironbutterfly likes this.
  10. egebamyasi

egebamyasi Forum Resident

No to both.

11. mbd40

mbd40 Steely Dan Fan

They have a Ben & Jerry's ice cream named after them so sure.

S. P. Honeybunch and ARK like this.
  12. Spadeygrove

Spadeygrove Senior Member

Hey, the bar keeps getting lowered year after year, so why not?

Good musicians but I just never ever cared for 'em.

bzfgt and rnranimal like this.
  13. Smokin Chains

Smokin Chains Forum Resident

Well, Fishman does wear a dress!

ARK and GoodKitty like this.
  14. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

I think they will, and they deserve it.

Sure, they were disciples of the Dead, but that hasn't stopped plenty of other inductees who owed a lot to their forefathers. They'll celebrate their 40th anniversary as a band in the next 5 years, and have spent most of the last 30 of those years being one of the most consistent live acts in the business, with zero member changes, commercial compromises, or sellouts. Once they moved up to big venues, they stayed their, even 25 years after their first arena gigs.

I don't think anyone can knock their musicianship (at least in their prime), integrity, and unique approach to every facet of the band, and I think they'll get in with all that plus sheer longevity. Having said that, there's certainly acts that deserve higher priority, many of which are on the ballot this year.

15. ARK

ARK Forum Miscreant

Will they get in the hall of fame?... no

Should they get in the hall of fame?... not for me to decide

Are they in my personal hall of fame?... absolutely

GoodKitty likes this.
  16. DPK

DPK Forum Resident

17. ceddy10165

ceddy10165 My life was saved by rock n roll

Absolutely, positively. I think their legacy makes it’s own case for the hall. It may take them awhile, but they’ll get there.

adamos, ianuaditis and Crimson jon like this.
  18. DJ LX

DJ LX Forum Resident

And weren't they also on an episode of The Simpsons?

ianuaditis and GoodKitty like this.
  19. Daryl M

Daryl M Senior Member

Was Phish eligible for 2020? If so, I'm stunned they were not nominated today.

20. They are my favorite group, and honestly, I don't want them to get in.

Allow the fan boys on this forum to cry about the snubs to their crushes, but let's not get sucked into the whining.

21. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

Their Flying Hot Dog is already in the Hall of Fame and so they are on the Hall’s radar. They put on one of the longest and largest concerts by a single band in history. I can’t think of any band who put on one that was longer and larger. And they pulled off 13 nights at MSG without repeating one song.

Love em or hate em — they will get in. And they deserve to.

They don’t care whether they get in, and neither do I — but it will happen.

adamos, GoodKitty, JuanTCB and 2 others like this.
  22. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

Innovation: Not super super innovative but they did help revitalize and modernize the jam band scene so there’s that.

Influence: As mentioned befre, the modern jam band scene would not be And what it is today without these
    Critical Success: A very solid critical reputation for the most part.

Commercial Success: Some, selling over 8 million in the States. Like most jam bands, they don’t seem to have the same degree of popularity overseas, but that didn’t hurt some other acts.

Overall they have a strong case.

23. PopularChuck

PopularChuck Senior Member

Probably not, but the HoF is an irrelevant wank-a-thon, so what does it matter?

24. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Not heard them yet They seem intriguing but a bit of a risk given I'm not much of a jazz fan beyond some of John McLaughlin's work.

bzfgt likes this.
  25. Trader Joe

Trader Joe Forum Resident

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.