Dolby's new Atmos surround sound system

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Metoo, Jun 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Metoo

Metoo Forum Hall Of Fame Thread Starter

2. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

Thanks, Metoo. As a big fan of surround I'm curious to hear this in a theatre.

3. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Yeah, I'm curious to hear it as well. Read about it on the HTF and it sounded intriguing.

Doesn't seem to be something that would translate well to home theater, though!

4. ROLO46

ROLO46 Forum Resident

Overhead surround
    Wonder how much all those Martin Monitors cost?
    Cinema owners are notoriously tight wad
    Full Dolby 5.1 only cost about £10k,they didn't like that much
    Full 63 ch might be a little more.......
    Dolby have done something similar in pro audio distribution,Dolby E
    1 metadata stream with every option encoded for different useage, 8 compressed channels into 2.

5. proufo

proufo Forum Resident

My guess is that this is mostly a way to implement patents and it will have very little penetration at either end of the movie business.

6. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I bet in LA, they're worried that any ceiling-mounted speakers will fall on the audience's heads during an earthquake!

7. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

66.2 surround sound. The promo videos make it sound rather intriguing.

One of the theaters ~5 miles away from my house is on the list to get it. But I'm not sure I'm interested in paying $9 to see "Brave" just to experience it.

8. charlie W

charlie W EMA Level 10

The system is already in place at the Dolby Theater(formerly the Kodak) at Hollywood and Highlands. Here is the list of present Dolby Atmos installations:

http://www.dolby.com/us/en/professional/technology/cinema/dolby-atmos.html

9. ROLO46

ROLO46 Forum Resident

Ta
    Will pop into Wotton Basset and beg a listen.

10. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

None in NY or LI yet. :(

11. Oatsdad

Are those all already set up for Atmos? I clicked on the page for the AMC Garden State - the closest Atmos theater to me - and saw no mention of it.

The Dolby page simply states that the listed theaters will be the first to have Atmos - it doesn't state they all have it NOW...

12. Oatsdad

Paramus NJ, buddy - at least you're closer than I am! :D

13. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

what a scary thought!:eek:

14. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

I deleted some posts, but for a good reason: To clarify something that people are confused about!

If somebody is trying to say that this system, Atmos, is already in "many theatres" in your area, you are almost certainly wrong, as evidenced by the list of Atmos-equipped theatres posted on this page: http://www.dolby.com/us/en/professional/technology/cinema/dolby-atmos.html

It's a very, very small number of cinemas.

Now, having said that, there are, indeed, many theatres that have (or have had) surround speakers in the ceiling, and it's absolutely not anything new. In fact, Seattle's very first multiplex, the UA Cinemas 70 & 150 at 6th & Blanchard, opened in 1968, had ceiling surrounds in the large ("150," named for the Dimension 150 projection system) auditorium. (I know: I have the blueprints for the theatre in my office, and three of the surround speakers in my possession, and yes, I got them down from the ceiling myself, and the speakers were manufactured in or around 1967.) Let's be clear, though: These were ceiling-mounted surrounds working off of (in most cases) a SINGLE SURROUND CHANNEL -- nothing akin to Atmos in any way!

So...YES, there may be "many" (or at least "some") theatres in a given area that have ceiling-mounted surrounds, AND.....NO, they are not Atmos facilities. (...or at least the vast majority are not.)

M'kay? :)

By the way, the closest facility to me is the new "Cinetopia" megaplex at Vancouver Mall in the Portland, Oregon, suburb of Vancouver, WA. I will definitely be making a trip down.

Matt

15. charlie W

charlie W EMA Level 10

16. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I don't think this is exactly accurate. In the case of Atmos, the height speakers are dedicated channels, not just more surround speakers. Heck, I've been in mixing rooms that had about two dozen surround speakers... but they all carried the exact same signal (as in 5.1). The 24 speakers merely spread the surround track around more evenly, adding "spaciousness."

I know that (as one example) one of the sound quality issues for the Ceramic Dome on Sunset Blvd. is that the city zoning people won't allow them to add ceiling-mounted diffusers or absorption panels on top, specifically due to earthquake concerns. Even if they didn't fall during a quake, they might get loose and then fall a few days or weeks later. I can only imagine what a 50-pound speaker would do.

Note than Tom Holman (creator of THX) demonstrated a 10.2-channel surround system with height above the speaker more than a decade ago. So this idea has been floating around for some time. Me personally, I don't think the idea works unless it's a special-venue theater, like Imax or a theme park ride. To me, 5.1 works fine as-is. I'm not even that jazzed about 7.1 though I did enjoy the mix of Toy Story 3, which was the first 7.1 release I know of.

17. MLutthans

That's what I was saying in my post. The "it" that was not anything new is the presence of ceiling speakers in some facilities, BUT the multi-multi-multi-channel surround of ATMOS *IS* new, yes.

Matt

18. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I agree, Atmos is a whole different animal. But I don't see it becoming a huge commercial success, simply because theater owners are cheap, the economy is bad, and audiences are indifferent most of the time to technological changes. Mono and surround was a big change; Dolby 5.1 to Atmos is not going to be as striking.

But I will seek out a screening when I get a chance. I'm surprised that Brave is getting good reviews -- it looked like a screwy idea when I first read it, plus (like several Pixar films) they fired the director a year or two into it. I know Pixar is anxious for a hit, since they were a little rattled about the so-so response to Cars 2 and also the disastrous John Carter (directed by longtime Pixar team member Andrew Stanton).

19. MLutthans

Yup, I'm looking forward to sampling ATMOS, too. The closest theatre to me is about 4 hours away, but what the heck, I'm going to check it out.

Matt

20. Oatsdad

Does anyone have more information to let us know if the theaters listed on the Dolby site are hooked up and ready right now? Like I mentioned earlier, the Garden State theater's website offers no info about Atmos.

Whenever I'm in NJ again, I'd like to try it out, but I wanna know if it's active first!

21. MLutthans

I think that it's a matter of "Is the movie released in ATMOS format" as much as "Is the equipment hooked up," right? Otherwise, you've just got one or two surround channels coming through a whole slew of speakers.

????

Matt

22. Oatsdad

Yeah, I guess. Since apparently "Brave" is an Atmos film, I'll check the Garden State website tomorrow and see if it mentions the format...

23. MLutthans

I'd say: Still check out the theatre, as the sound will likely still be good, but don't let it influence your thinking on the effectiveness or lack thereof of the ATMOS system.

Matt

24. Oatsdad

I'm not going out of my way to hit the AMC Garden State unless I'm guaranteed Atmos, man! It's too far from home - and I prefer Regal, anyway! :D

25. captainsolo

captainsolo Forum Resident

Darn, there's not one anywhere near me. It's going to be hard to find both a theater with the equipment setup combined with a Atmos mixed film. Not many theaters will see any reason to make the massive upgrade and will there actually be a 64 channel mix anytime soon? I seriously doubt it.
    Plus, when was the last time you heard anything sound good theatrically? I absolutely had it when recently Raiders of the Lost Ark had little to no surround usage whatsoever for the new restoration.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.