Will we get deluxe box sets of the remaining two Monkees albums?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Pizza, Sep 24, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

Seriously? I think we have tons of Monkees mono. Bring on the stereo remixes.

2. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

Andrew mentioned asking Rhino ...

Back in the day, we'd get a fan petition going. We should do that. Worked for the full King Buscuit concert. They get enough inquiries, emails, actual letters and a petition .. they might bite. My fear would be that they'd hand it over to Hughes who'd go 'Friday Music' on us ... so we'd have to strongly express 'a Sandoval produced Headquarters and PACJ SDE'.

Grand_Ennui and BobT like this.
  3. GuyDon

GuyDon Senior Member

It would certainly seem the release of these two titles would be a no-brainer for Rhino as every previous edition, with the exception of the most recent More Of The Monkees, have all sold out. I anticipate MOTM will also eventually sell out. If Rhino was smart, they'd give Andrew the green light now to work on these and tie their release to the 2021 Mike & Micky Tour dates. The Rhino merch (previous Deluxe Editions, the Blu-Ray box set) were all good sellers for them at the shows back in 2018.

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  4. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Yep, seriously. I know the mono stuff is on the deluxe sets but I already have the stereo stuff on the single
    discs.
    To have a 3 or 4 cd set with all mono stuff would be great :)

5. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

I thought about email Rhino, maybe sending them a "snail mail" letter or two also.

Anyone know the best physical street address to use?

And what's their email address again? (Yeah, I *am* too lazy to look :laugh: ).

6. Paul Sofronoff

Paul Sofronoff The Last Earbender

So do we know why they started with TBTB&TM? Was it just about the timing of 'discoveries' that Andrew was making around what was available, etc? S

Lewisboogie likes this.
  7. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni Thread Starter

I don’t know why that was the starting point. I’ve read posts the PACJ doesn’t offer as many possible outtakes and such. So maybe they skipped it for an album that had more treasures. I’m just guessing, mind you. Plus maybe they felt it was better to start with the back catalogue thinking people might lose interest in the series if the bigger titles were released first.

8. BobT

BobT Resident Monkeeman

Probably because they had last done Headquarters and PACJ in the 2 disc deluxe sets. So BB&M was next up. But there was so much more material available, plus the mono version of the album had to be mostly a needle drop. Rhino felt using a needle drop was not up to the higher quality stuff for a standard issue. So, putting BB&M out on Handmade (where quality standards could be lower since handmade is a collectors label) with more discs seemed the best way to release all of the material (some of the bonus material is from acetates-lower quality-see above mono mix) for this album. Then they just continued on Handmade for the less commercial albums (limited run = less chance to lose money). Then I guess Andrew was able to convince Rhino that there was money to be made to reissue the 2 disc sets on the Handmade label...

9. Paul Sofronoff

Paul Sofronoff The Last Earbender

Thanks BobT - that makes a lot of sense!

10. bvb1123

bvb1123 Rock and Roll Martian

I'm tentatively excited that those two albums receive the Super Deluxe treatment but I'm also not very hopeful. One one hand,you'd think Headquarters & P,A,C & J Ltd would be the definitive ones to do Super Deluxes on. They were at their commercial and artistic peak, but on the other hand the More Of The Monkees sales were disappointing. . I'd love to hear what's in the box. I wish it would happen but I'm not very optimistic.

11. Grand_Ennui

I'm sure it won't be very long until the SDE of "More of the Monkees" sells out. I don't think it'll take as long for "MOTM" to sell out as it did for let's say the HEAD soundtrack.

bvb1123 likes this.
  12. bvb1123

bvb1123 Rock and Roll Martian

Yeah that makes sense, especially seeing as Head originally sold a lot less than More Of The Monkees.

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  13. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

I'm optimistic that eventually we'll see a Headquarters and PAC&J SDE. Why not finish the project.

FJFP likes this.
  14. Pizza

I’m not optimistic at this point. Heck, at least do something with PAC&J so the project feels complete. It makes me wonder what happened behind the scenes. Also can’t help but feel the TV set did it in.

15. Grand_Ennui

I'm starting to lean towards not being optimistic myself either. If they're waiting for some sort of anniversary to tie them into, at this point, it'll be 2022 before we'd see anything, because that year will be the 55th anniversary for both of them.

And even with that being an anniversary year, we certainly wouldn't be getting both of them in one year.

Pizza likes this.
  16. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

The reissue series was going to be 2CD sets, but after the first four albums didn't sell well, Andrew got Rhino to go Rhino Handmade for the next one (Birds Bees) and it allowed him to expand it to 3 discs and then kept going from there.. So the reissue campaign didn't start with "Birds Bees" but it changed at that point.

Lewisboogie, FJFP and Pizza like this.
  17. Pizza

I must say Andrew is an amazing salesman (play the Monkees song here) to convince Rhino to go super deluxe after poor sales for the double CD sets. I guess it's a miracle we got what we got. I'm so glad he sold Headquarters Sessions CDs earlier in the year on eBay since I missed out on that one. I didn't care it didn't have the box, just happy to finally have those CDs at a decent price. I think him selling all that Monkees merchandise was another bad sign for future releases. But, who knows what tomorrow will bring?

18. Grand_Ennui

If those 2 CD sets we poor sellers for them, the lack of interest they had when first released didn't carry over to their popularity on the secondary market. I know, I paid enough for the debut and "More of" on eBay, and not quite as badly priced for the other two on Amazon.com.

19. TimeWarper

TimeWarper A Well Respected Man

Even when they did the 2-disc edition of Pisces they were scrapping the barrel nearly all the bonuses are just alternate mixes. I think I read somewhere that Andrew said there was enough stuff for a HQ box set without reusing stuff from the Sessions set. Honestly everything that went wrong with the Blu-Ray box, declining sales, the pandemic, Rhino some how losing stuff from their previous warehouse I’m seriously doubting new Monkees sets, at least for the albums. I mean the new albums are doing well and hitting the charts. That’s where the money is, there’s more people (casuals) that want a new Monkees album than another reissue of albums with bonus material they don’t care about. I guess The Monkees’ collector market isn’t as big as many other artists which is truly sad.

20. Pizza

I think it was a timing thing. I bought them when they came out but begrudgingly. I could be remembering things wrong but I think I recently bought a bunch of Monkees CD releases and thought not again when the 2 CD sets came out.

21. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

I'm sure Andrew has a digital copy of the entire Monkees vault

Grand_Ennui and FJFP like this.
  22. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

That's where Kickstarter comes into play

Paul Sofronoff and FJFP like this.
  23. Grand_Ennui

I've been thinking that for the longest time, that he's got some of the gems that'll probably never see the light of day on CD nowadays (looking at you "Keys to the Car" demo...)

Hep Alien and D-rock like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.