Willie and the Poor Boys - yowza!!!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by indy mike, Mar 13, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest Thread Starter

Yea!!!! I snagged a DCC digital drink coaster of Willie and the Poor Boys on Ebay last week and got it - man oh Manischewitz, does that pup blow away my Fantasy K2 screech disc!!! If you don't have this one, keep your eyes peeled - it's got that "go ahead, crank it up to 12 cause it won't sizzle yer ears" mastering we all know and love - thanks, Steve! Keep pushing for an SACD or gold disc of Chronicle...

2. John Oteri

John Oteri New Member In Memoriam

Fantasy K2 screech disc. Great description.

The DCC disc kills any Fantasy remaster ever done. Hoffman has the touch for Creedence, that's for sure.

I remember him saying that when he heard the master tape of "Fortunate Son" for the first time he just scratched his head, not knowing quite how to approach it. But he nailed it by simply "going for the voice", and everything else falls into place.

Trust me on this, the better our stereo's get, the better the DCC Gold CD's and LP's sound and the WORSE everything else sounds (at least to me).:eek:

3. Matt

Matt New Member

Too bad the cymbals sound a bit on the dull side, but there's no way around it without bringing back the screechiness in Fogerty's vocal track. Maybe it was recorded that way or just mixed that way, but regardless, it's better to have everything easy on the ears, even if it means making that small sacrifice in the music.

4. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

I always try and avoid that "Mastering 101" mistake of voicing for the cymbals. Screws it up every time.

On "Fortunate Son", because of the way it was recorded and mixed, the music is on the dull side when the vocals sound just right, and when the music is "screeched up" the vocal sounds just awfull.

So, since it was my call, I went for the voice.

Now, if you want to hear possibly WHY it was mixed like this, you need a pair of big Altec horn studio monitors and two McIntosh 30 amps. Now, turn it up as loud as it will go. Wow, so that's what they were going for. Now that is some heavy sound. A big giant murk and goosh festival.

But, since DCC couldn't give away a pair of Altec Monitors with every disc sold, you are on your own!;)

5. indy mike

Is it safe to assume that the word throbbing might describe what Fortunate Son sounds like via the Altec/Mac combo? Kinda makes me think that's what Creedence might have sounded like on a stage back in '69 (I was 6, but I remember those Creedence tunes blasting on WLS 890 AM in the Windy City) My dad was a sport and would leave WLS on when we'd ride in the Impala to visit my grandparents in northern Indiana...

6. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Screech, murk and goosh. Now if I only had cats to name.

7. Steve Hoffman

Yes. Throbbing is a good description.

Not High Fidelity as we know it, but like a big wall of throb!

8. Sam

Sam Senior Member

Steve, I used to own a pair of Altec Lansing floor monitors. Huge 'ol 15 inch woofer and Horn tweeter/midrange. Man, those things could move the air. Drums, ahhh drums sounded so REAL through those babies. I could play those soooo loud. Now why is it that I miss those days steve? Oh my current system beats it in all of the usual aspects of sound except one: that wall---that chest shaking bass and HUGE Wall of sound that seemed to do so much justice to rock music. I used to love cranking up "Lazy" from Deep Purple's Machine Head. I had some good times with those speakers. Oh, and Michael Jackson's Thriller through them-----FORGET IT! You just gotta hear the opening to Billie Jean through a pair of Altec Lansing Voice of the Theater speakers to know what I'm talking about.

I do know what Tom Port means when he talks about needing 15 inch woofers. And he's got eight of them!! Have mercy!!

Yet years ago so many people put down those speakers---"Horns, are you crazy?" I guess they were not the last word in depth or width of soundstage. And the horn, with the wrong material, would beam at you. But I have fond memories.

9. Steve Hoffman

I hear ya. A big, big sound!

10. stereo71

stereo71 Senior Member

WLS

Believe it or not, in south Texas before FM was
    worth listening to (late 60s) you could, on a
    clear winter's night, get WLS like it was next
    door. I spent many late nights glued to the
    radio, hearing some great rock and roll that
    wasn't played down south. Ah, the memories...

11. indy mike

Betcha heard Bubble Puppy's Hot Smoke and Sassafrass (shoulda been spelled Hot Smokin' Sassafrass like the boys intended) down in the Lonestar State - I heard it up in Yankeeland via good old WLS, too! :D

12. ferric

ferric Iron Dino In Memoriam

Steve,

You nailed the Creedence experience for me... that swampy guitar and growling vocals. foot tapping bass.

Listening to Willie right now.

Strange they were from Frisco.

ferric man
    "I ain't no senator's son"

13. stereo71

stereo71 Senior Member

Hot Smokin'...

Indy Mike,

You nailed it! Actually, Rod Prince (lead guitar)
    with the Puppy hails from Corpus Christi; the
    band used to play garages, beer joints, etc. for
    tips and grins. Those really *were* the days!

About a year ago, I found a 180-gm LP of
    "A Gathering of Promises" that isn't too bad,
    considering the master tapes probably don't
    exist anymore. It's a regional rarity.

Anybody remember any of the DJs from WLS back
    then? KTRK in Houston? Now there was station
    really into the Bubble Puppy...

14. indy mike

I think Charly Records in the UK owns the International Artists catalog now - many moons ago they licensed the IA stuff like the 13th Floor Elevators and did a crummy job reissuing the goods from crummy records (rechanneled You're Gonna Miss Me - grrrrrrrrrr), but that's finally appeared in good, clean mono (hi Grant!!!) on the Nuggets box (grrrrr - here I go again!!!), so keep your fingers crossed for Bubble Puppy's tapes... Corpus Christi - are you a Zakary Thaks man, too??? You NEED the Sundazed/Beat Rocket cd of their stuff, all from tapes (took Bob Irwin a looooong time to have those tracked down)... :cool:

15. stereo71

stereo71 Senior Member

Yes! Those guys played our high school prom. I
    particularly remember their cover of "You Keep
    Me Hanging On". Should have been a record!

Indy Mike, I can point you to a local record
    shop down there that has tons of that kind of
    thing. It's owned/operated by a barber/harp
    player named Tracy--you can get your DA done
    while 13-floor elevator music cranks out onto
    the sidewalk...

16. indy mike

I'm a BIG fan of the Zakary Thaks cover of the Kinks' I Need You - sounds soooper fine dandy on that Sundazed/Beat Rocket cd! Hope that barber doesn't indulge in any trippy sorts of hallucinogenic material before giving buzz cuts to unsuspecting customers while Roky and the gang are pounding it out on the hi-fi!!! :D

17. stereo71

stereo71 Senior Member

Nope, no high-n-tights on acid...you might get
    a conservative lecture on politics, though.

On a side note, Roky has been receiving much-
    needed treatment lately, in the custody of his
    brother, and actually can hold a conversation,
    play his quitar again, etc...things are starting
    to heat up down here! Can't wait to catch him
    in a show somewhere. He'd better lie low til
    all this SWSX blows out of town, though. WAY
    TOO MUCH hype about just now...

18. christopher

christopher Forum Neurotic

as herb caen would have said, "don't call it frisco"!

anyway, they were from el cerrito, just north of berkeley.

and i love how the guitar pick sounds on the acoustic guitar strings throughout dcc's "WATBP" disc.

later, chris

19. BeatleFred

BeatleFred Senior Member

CCR & JB

Well, I think I will have to be on the lookout to get that CCR DCC ASAP (smile)!! The latest issue of Guitar World Acoustic has a good article on Creedence's music in there. As for the somewhat dull or "unexciting" sound mentioned in a post above....I would say thats the case for the DCC of Jackson Browne's "Late For the Sky". When I listen to the same tracks that are on Elecktra's "The Best Of- The Next Voice You Hear", and other tracks on there like "Doctor My Eyes", well..... the sound really is much more lively and literally jumps out've the Speakers at you; the DCC version just sounds too timid in comparsion.

20. John Oteri

John Oteri New Member In Memoriam

Re: CCR & JB

Oh man, I have the totall OPPOSITE opinion of the DCC Jackson Browne. To me, the DCC is PERFECT. The Asylum CD versions both old and new are harsh and unmusical; like they thinned out the bass, added some top end air that wasn't needed (Japanese style), and, hey, did they add some extra echo?????? Please, no!!!!

The DCC version nice and analog sounding and is pretty much what my original Asylum LP sounded like, except more of all the good stuff.

But, ****, it depends on your stereo totally. Pointless to go on about that. We don't all have the same system.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.