Willie Nile: A Fine American Singer Songwriter - Many Fans?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Spinone, May 24, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spinone

Spinone Forum Resident Thread Starter

It was the boredom from the pandemic that caused me to look for more singer songwriters, and I discovered Willie Nile.

Wow! Have I been missing out for 40 years.

He released his first album (self titled) back in 1980, and his latest The Day The Earth Stood Still in 2021. In fact, his latest album was my album of the year for 2021, and I think 2021 was a great year for music finds.

Anyway, several years ago an album by album thread was tried, but it didn't take off, and it's been closed to further discussion.

WILLIE NILE--brilliant songwriter singer musician...any fans? Album by album?

Are there enough fans on SHF to talk about Willie? I'm hoping that there are more people who are like me, who wouldn't have responded back in 2019, but are now converts.

I've started off with an album poll (as requested by the moderators, it's in the Long and Winding section)

https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/poll-favorite-willie-nile-albums.1146432/

I very quickly acquired seven of his albums and I think they are all very good, but it's only the latest one that has turned into love. To be fair, I need to play the others more, but most of the time I think of Willie Nile, I reach for The Day The Earth Stood Still.

jricc, JoeRockhead and nosticker like this.
  2. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

Willie Nile is a brilliant artist. Iv been following him since the debut Vagsbond Moon. Imo one of the finest debut-albums ever. Here Comes stunning song from the late nineties

jricc, nosticker and Spinone like this.
  3. blehman

blehman Forum Resident

Often touted on Little Steven's Underground Garage on Sirius/XM I have become a fan. I particularly enjoyed 2013's American Ride. A fine, if not under appreciated, artist

4. Spinone

Aren't you going to vote, or don't the albums reach the excellent standard?

5. nojasa

nojasa Forum Resident

Besides releasing consistently good albums, he also puts on consistently good shows

Adam9 and blehman like this.
  6. cgw

cgw Forum Resident

I only have 2 or 3 of his albums.
    He is a "must see" when he comes to town.

7. jwstl

jwstl Forum Resident

Love Willie and have most of his works on CD. Would love to see him but he doesn’t get to the Midwest often if ever.

Spinone likes this.
  8. tanqueray cowboy

tanqueray cowboy Forum Resident

American Ride is an excellent, excellent album.

jricc, Spinone and blehman like this.
  9. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

I remember hearing a song from Willie's first album back in the day.

Flash forward to a few years ago when a friend saw him in concert and couldn't stop raving about him.

So I went to see him in a small venue and he was pretty electrifying. I got to talk to him after the show and he was very pleasant.

I bought the last few or so CDs , mostly at shows so most of them are autographed.

So I'm a pretty big fan.

Spinone likes this.
  10. craymcla

craymcla Forum Resident

I first saw/heard Willie in 1980 when he was touring his first album while opening for the Who. Couldn't get my hands on the LP fast enough, and I consider it a dessert island disk to this day. However, the second album, Golden Down, was a disappointment. It had lost much of that jangly Fender guitar sound that made it so special. I lost track of him after that until he put out Positively Bob: Willie Nile sings Bob Dylan, an album I really liked.

The writing on that first album is really special; he's a true poet. There are two live albums that capture his 1980 band: Live in Central Park – Archive Alive! and The Bottom Line Archive Live (1980 and 2000).

A bit off-topic, but Elliot Murphy is another New York singer/songwriter that is sadly underappreciated in my book. Another artist unfairly compared to Bob Dylan. His first three albums are pretty special, but Just a Story from America is my favorite.

Spinone likes this.
  11. nosticker

nosticker Forum Guy

Great singer/songwriter. His early 2000s albums are full of great songs. I've run sound for him a bunch of times at house concerts, and by pure coincidence, my band is playing right before his at a concert in NJ this June 4th.

Dan

blehman and Spinone like this.
  12. JoeRockhead

JoeRockhead Forum Resident

Willie is great. Saw him in Asbury Park for the Light of Day festival a day or two after Bowie died in 2016, and he did an amazing cover of Heroes in tribute. Not sure of that is a regular part of his set then but it was a very moving, incredible moment

Spinone and jricc like this.
  13. ezt

ezt Well-Known Member

Willie is the real deal, he's an incredibly hard worker and has been producing great music consistently since his earliest days.

I recently conducted this interview with Willie about his latest album, The Day the Earth Stood Still.

Last edited: May 24, 2022
  14. jricc

jricc Senior Member

Love Willie Nile. The first album, The Places I have Been, Streets of NY, American Ride are a few of my faves. IMO, he's a fantastic singer songwriter, folk-rocker and flat out rock n roller.
    I was fortunate to be on the same bill with Willie, Pat Dinizio and Nicole Atkins for a Buddy Holly Tribute show at Vintage Vinyl in 2009, total blast...

Spinone, nosticker and JoeRockhead like this.
  15. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

The Arista debut heralded a major artist and got promo push from the label, but didn't break through.

The second album, Gulden Down, was a major disappointment.

Arista dropped him and it was a decade before he released another album, the return to form Places I Have Never Been on Columbia. It didn't take off commercially and that was that for major labels.

Spinone and nosticker like this.
  16. GMfan87'

GMfan87' Forum Resident

He is talented. Caught him at The Stone Pony at one of the Light of Day benefits. He did the very clever Beautiful Wreck of the World.

Spinone and jricc like this.
  17. Spinone

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.