Willsenton R8 tube integrated stereo amplifier thread

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by RockAddict, Mar 25, 2021.

1. RockAddict

RockAddict Sanity is an illusion, just like democracy Thread Starter

Get ready for the smell....! :)

2. Tony-A

Tony-A Forum Resident

True that.....:laughup:

Use a bit of ground coffee or half onion next to the amp and the smell will go away quickly. My wife drove me crazy about the smell.:laugh:

Peace,
    Tony

RockAddict likes this.
  3. tIANcI

tIANcI Wondering when the hifi madness will end

Now I’m wondering how the R8 will sound with power tubes from say Gold Lion and some NOS 6SN7/6SL7 ...

Tigertimtim and Rick58 like this.
  4. RockAddict

With Genalex Gold Lion KT77s, the R8 produces deeper lower frequencies and a darker presentation overall. I went back to the EL34s mentioned earlier in the thread but will get around to trying the GGL KT77s again.

IMO, one way of explaining the difference would be to compare the original 1992 release of Amused To Death by Roger Waters with the 2015 remix which has darker tonality. If course, if this album isn't on your radar, this comparison is completely, well, pointless...:confused: :)

Archguy, timind and tIANcI like this.
  5. Tony-A

Tony-A Forum Resident

I also settled for the Gold Lion KT77, originally came with the Psvane KT88 (upgrade), and I tube rolled the KT77 and are now my favorite. Haven't tried the EL34.

Peace,
    Tony

Archguy likes this.
  6. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

Do it, you won't be sorry.

RockAddict likes this.
  7. RockAddict

I did (see post #10 & profile)! :)

8. Detroiter in the South

Detroiter in the South Forum Resident

I have one in Cinci right now, set to come to me Tuesday. I ordered the EL34s with it, and have Gold Lion KT88s for it. Cannot wait to hear this beast!

h1pst3r88 likes this.
  9. Detroiter in the South

It is here already, sitting next to the Prima Luna it will shoot it out with. Stunning build quality for the money, at least as well-built as the PL. As heavy as you've heard. These transformers are impressive.

10. Tony-A

Tony-A Forum Resident

If you're gonna do any tube rolling in the future on the pre-amp section try to start with the 6SL7. There's a lot of information on the Australian website StereoNet with lots of details, drawings, videos and suggestions regarding tube rolling and technical info. Matter of fact, I'm getting ready to send my amp to the shop to replace four (0.22uF) stocks capacitors with some Miflex caps.

Edit to add Stereonet link:
    Partial tear down of Willsenton R8

Peace,
    Tony

Last edited: May 28, 2021
  11. Detroiter in the South

Oh my gosh, no one is kidding about how good this amp is. Just wow, extremely happy with this purchase! Buy one before the price rises up to the $2-$3k amps it easily competes against.

12. h1pst3r88

h1pst3r88 Forum Resident

I am shopping another tube amp for a different flavor to my 845-based Line Magnetic SET amp (LM218ia), which is lovely on vocals, acoustic music, and smaller ensemble jazz and classical music, but can get a bit busy with, say the Grateful Dead at Giants Stadium on vinyl or other genres with more musical density.

I was looking at the Muzishare X7 but with only KT88, while I am sure it will rock and definitely want to try KT88s, I am probably more intrigued by EL34s, and want the ability to swap between them. The R8 might be the next flavor.

Keep the reviews coming -- and congrats on the R8. This company clearly knows how to kick out extremely nice quality tube audio gear!

-Chris

Tube Roller likes this.
  13. h1pst3r88

h1pst3r88 Forum Resident

...by the way, if didn't happen if there are no pics!!!

:cop:

timind likes this.
  14. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

[​IMG] Got it! Sounds very very good.

15. h1pst3r88

h1pst3r88 Forum Resident

VERY nice, Manimal!!!

Enjoy that :agree:

16. timind

timind phorum rezident

I've been reading this thread as I'm considering. Hope you post your impressions here once the amp settles in.

jonwoody and Manimal like this.
  17. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

I couldn’t imagine someone not saying it sounds excellent.

action pact and timind like this.
  18. Jacob29

Jacob29 Forum Resident

Which tubes are you using kt88/el34?

19. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

It certainly is tempting! I've been more than pleased with my LM 502CA DAC. They make quality equipment.

20. tIANcI

tIANcI Wondering when the hifi madness will end

It’s unlawful to make such statement without details. It’s makes us wonder more and more. It’s keeping us in suspense! Out with the details. :laugh:

Manimal and Jacob29 like this.
  21. RockAddict

From the shape, looks like KT88s. At this point, it would be tempting to say (with a smile) something like "...he'll change to EL34s...". But, I think the speakers in the picture are Klipsch Heresy IVs which have a tonal balance that, for some, might work well with the R8 using KT88s.

That said, I still think @Manimal will at least try some EL34s ... :)

If he doesn't post for a few days, let's not worry. It's the R8 effect, either the smell or the music. Or both. For legal reasons, I'm going with the music... :D

Manimal, h1pst3r88 and Jacob29 like this.
  22. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

Kt88
    Also I favor the triode mode over ultra linear.
    Volume at nine o’clock is pleasantly loud and nine thirty has the wife telling me to turn it down. It’s deceptively loud because the sound is so rich and clean.
    I’m definitely gonna get the EL34 tubes because I like triode and from what I’ve read they should provide more of thAt sound. Heck I’m gonna roll all of them eventually. That’s part of the fun:)

Jacob29 likes this.
  23. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

On the smell, when I opened the box I did get hit with it but to me it just smelled new, we had the house open yesterday so I didn’t get it after unboxing.
    Sliced my finger wide open with a razor blade cutting the box ( told the wife it may need stitches but I just got stitched out for another wound)
    Blood sacrifice to the R8 :)
    You were spot on about the EL34s
    Gotta try them

RockAddict likes this.
  24. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

It sounds amazing to me. Wide soundstage is the first thought I had. Bass is deep and treble is nice. I’ve always been one to dig tone controls and loudness buttons because I’m a vintage guy but this is the first amp that makes me think “ no it’s perfect, I don’t want to change a thing”.
    With the Heresy IVs playing with volume at 9:30 is loud loud, but clean loud . This thing has more power than I’ll ever need with them, especially with the Sunfire.
    Triode mode for me please. I’ll get the EL34s soon as the wife isn’t looking:)
    Any suggestions on those would be cool.
    The amp is an anvil.. heavy as heck. Finish is great in black.
    Biasing tubes is easy and fast. Knob feel is just ok compared to vintage.
    In all the excitement ( and beers) I couldn’t find the remote ( didn’t look hard). I’ll report back on that but I don’t think I got one. I could be wrong. My buddy said it’s not great. Not a big deal for me, I like touching and interacting with the system.
    Me and the buds are mainly vintage receiver guys. We all agree that we have missed out on what’s possible with this amp. It’s ( to me) way better than anything I’ve had so far.

timind likes this.
  25. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

Embarrassed to say I couldn’t reach the outlet for the new IFi Zen phono, and the only power strip I had in house was taken up so I listened to digital only last night through the phone. I’ll remedy that today for sure. Also has me thinking if this amp sounds this good with direct from phone ( iPhone 12), imagine what a good streamer/ DAC can do.
    I’ll report back an vinyl tonight:)