Willsenton R8 tube integrated stereo amplifier thread

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by RockAddict, Mar 25, 2021.

1. tIANcI

tIANcI Wondering when the hifi madness will end

@Manimal ... thanks for the quickie. Well, for the price I’m so tempted. Was toying between this and the Freya+ as I do have the Benchmark AHB2 power amp.

Hope your finger is sorted out!

Manimal likes this.
  2. RockAddict

RockAddict Sanity is an illusion, just like democracy Thread Starter

When asking for tube suggestions, you run the risk of getting a loooong list.... Consolidated from different posts, my own experiences so far are as follows:

Willsenton labelled EL34:
    Audio is clean, some might find slightly lean. Reasonable lower frequencies but won't dig as deep as the KT88s. With Dynaudio Special 40s (no sub), they work surprisingly well. Based on what I've read, the Heresy IVs have a largely smooth tone with the lower frequencies having a pure tone such that they may *seem* to lack bass but it's more about the presentation than any serious lack of. That tonal difference is why, for you, the KT88s could end up being the preferred option - especially in triode mode.

Tung-Sol EL34B:
    In broad terms, the tonal character is not too different from the Willsenton branded version BUT the TS tubes will offer a smoother presentation with the audio sounding that bit richer. If rolling for fun, I'd say try either the Willsenton or the Tung-Sols but not both. My shout would be for the latter but as we all know it's really about personal preference.

Genalex Gold Lion KT77 (EL34 alternative):
    A definite difference here. Compared to the aforementioned EL34s, the GGL KT77s will bring about a darker tonal presentation and dig deeper with lower frequencies. Taking into account the Heresy IVs, the KT77s *may* be the way to go. For me, more listening is needed (eventually!) and, for now, it's the EL34s.

A heads up... With EL34s/KT77s, it might be worth trying ultra-linear mode for a bit more "attack" if you find it lacking compared to the KT88s.

Although you didn't mention the "pre" tubes, this may or may not be helpful:

6SL7s: With the Willsenton labelled 6SL7s, music sometimes tended to sound a bit hard in the lower treble / upper mid frequencies. Tung-Sol 6SL7s took away that hardness with no loss of detail and have stayed in the R8 with the Willsenton's now merely spares.

6SN7s:
    The power filter tube (v5) doesn't affect the audio character so it's about the other two 6SN7s. By comparison with the Willsenton labelled 6SN7s, a pair of JJ 6SN7s sounded warm to the point of soupy. I preferred the Willsentons. More rolling is still to be done with the 6SN7s - a pair of Langrex 6SN7GTBs is waiting to be rolled and a pair of Tung-Sol 6SN7GTBs is on order. If either pair make any significant difference, I'll post again.

As with yourself, I too think the R8 is a step or two ahead (in terms of SQ) of all the amp setups previously in my system (Arcam Alpha 8; Arcam A65+; Marantz PM-6005; Cambridge Audio CXA60; Rotel RA-1572 mk I; NAD C 658 / PS Audio Stellar S300 pre+power). The Rotel and NAD are perfect examples of buyer's regret (the PS Audio is just collateral fallout - sorry Paul! :)). Assuming the R8 stays healthy, it's hard to see it leaving my system anytime soon.

Happy listening all.

PS: There should definitely be a remote with the R8.

3. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

Thanks, I’ll definitely take those points in consideration.
    As is it sounds pretty dang good as I’ve ever had here so no hurry on rolling:)Listening to some morning jazz cuts.. wow.

4. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

Thanks, I don’t know what it is with me and sharp stuff:) had to mop the floor.
    For the money I don’t see how you can go wrong with this amp. It may surprise you

tIANcI likes this.
  5. Mr. Pleasant

Mr. Pleasant Forum Resident

How bad is the heat from this amp? Does it get too hot for a small enclosed room?

6. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

I got it pretty warm last night but I was rockin for hours. I don’t have anything to compare. I kinda think it would definitely heat a small room with no AC but if you keep the house cool ( we keep our around 68 69f)
    I don’t think it would be a problem.
    Also the sound may make it worth it:)

Mr. Pleasant likes this.
  7. tIANcI

tIANcI Wondering when the hifi madness will end

For 6SN7 I like the Sylvania 6SN7GTA a lot. Price is easy to swallow and you get that sweet tube sound with decent bass. The RCA 5692 are more neutral with a more dense tone but it’s slightly costly. My fav still are the Pope ones, price at present is nuts.

For 6SL7, Sylvania work fine.

EL34 ... Mullard NOS?

Tigertimtim, Manimal and Funky54 like this.
  8. Detroiter in the South

Detroiter in the South Forum Resident

Runs much cooler than my Prima Luna Prologue Premium. Much, much cooler....

9. Detroiter in the South

Hi all! I am enjoying my R8 3 days in. It is at least as smooth as my Prima Luna Prologue Premium, and has a tad more bass. Noticeably more soundstage. I had a set of broken-in Gold Lion KT88s that went in almost immediately, I did not like the stock EL34s much.

I think I have a problem with my room eating up bass, because this is the third tube amp I've tried that has just fallen flat on its face for bass. (Speakers-Tekton Perfect SET that get great bass with solid state). This R8 has the most of the three (Prima Luna, Aric Audio), but it still lacks bass terribly for this room. I've tried all kinds of speaker positions, and gone with and without a rug on hardwood.

Reviews said this was a bass heavy amp- I would have never guessed that from my experience here. So if I am going to roll the front tubes, what will give me the most bass? Do I pretty much have the most bass-producing KT88s?

Or should, as I am thinking, be planning on a sub woofer for this space? Is the R8 going to give me quality enough bass to tap a sub from?

Room is a rectangular living room, about 12'X15' with stereo aiming longways. Hardwood with a large area rug, two couches and a couple bookshelves. I'd upload a pic, but I do not see an easy way here... Thank you!

Last edited: May 30, 2021
    Tigertimtim, timind and Manimal like this.
  10. Funky54

Funky54 Coat Hangers do not sound good

I don’t own a Willsenton. My best friend does. I’ve spent a lot of hours A & B’ing it with other amps. I’ve spent a lot of time tube rolling with it. It’s a gorgeous sounding amp. I really like it. I believe the 6SN7 tubes can do a lot more for the sound presentation then the power tubes. It’s one of those rare amps I personally think punches way above its weight. I don’t think you could buy a better amp at anywhere near it’s cost.

I would not hesitate to own one.

Tigertimtim, timind and Manimal like this.
  11. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

KT88
    I’m gonna get the EL34s for sure . I like triode mode best so I’m thinking EL34 would be my bag. Find out soon:) just had my audio neighbor over and he loved it.

12. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

I use a subwoofer with my Heresy IV’s and it rocks the house:) I always recommend a subwoofer.

NormB and Detroiter in the South like this.
  13. Jacob29

Jacob29 Forum Resident

As far as posting images I have found Postimages — free image hosting / image upload to be the easiest no login necessary.

14. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

The R8 designer was smart to use better sounding preamp tubes vs the usual 12AX7 & 12AU7 used in tube amplifiers. It uses 6SN7 & 6SL7. Likely ships with Chinese preamp tubes. An upgrade is to use Sylvania 6SN7GTA. The GTA guarantees pre 1954 manufacture that are superior to later year Sylvania tubes. The 6SL7 is best in NOS round plate Tung Sol, but expensive. I would use the tall round plate Sylvania packed in the early black with yellow lettering box. These are around pre 1955 tubes. Not all Sylvanias are tall round plate.

Note- be careful of the tricky 'NOS Tested' wording. Vifa Tubes use this verbiage to trick you into selling used tubes as NOS. They started this 'rubbish' a few years ago and others have also caught on.

Dignan2000, jonwoody and Tigertimtim like this.
  15. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

Finally got the IFi Zen plugged in and jammin. Dead quiet and sounds really good . Atom Heart Mother right now to run it in. these are the good times in audio guy world:)

16. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

17. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

I’ve got the sub packed in too close to the turntable , can’t keep bass feedback out. I need a wall mount as it’s bouncy there. Damn! Other than that it sounds great.
    And this is with the sub filter on.

18. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

Congrats. Read my tube replacement post for even better performance.

19. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

Thanks , and I will.

Razakoz likes this.
  20. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

[​IMG] Vinyl is excellent through the Zen. Yep

jonwoody, Funky54 and gmcjj like this.
  21. Detroiter in the South

[​IMG]
    Can you link to that post?

22. onlysleeping

onlysleeping Forum Resident

I'd like to hear how this compares to the Benchmark. I have been considering getting one of the or a tube amp.

I wish Amazon Prime was available for Willsenton R8. Prime is available for the Boyuurange A50 Mk3, which is a SET 300b amp, but it doesn't have a phono in, remote, pre-in, or as much output power (I know, SET vs PP).

I'm hoping the Willsenton is a Prime available product soon. I'd rather a pay a bit more with availability of easy return if it doesn't work for my system.

tIANcI likes this.
  23. onlysleeping

onlysleeping Forum Resident

Has anyone done a tear down on this unit? Does it have good quality caps? Is the transformer really massive or something hidden in a massive container?

timind likes this.
  24. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

This is only image I ever seen of amp interior. Looks like polypropylene coupling caps are used, but power tube coupling caps look very small. Transformers are potted, anything can be inside, but likely good size.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 1, 2021
    jonwoody, Funky54 and timind like this.
  25. Tony-A

Tony-A Forum Resident

I placed an order for four Miflex 0.22pF capacitors that I’ll be replacing soon. I got the quote from the shop and just waiting for arrival of the caps.

Peace,
    Tony

Manimal likes this.