Willsenton R8 tube integrated stereo amplifier thread

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by RockAddict, Mar 25, 2021.

1. RockAddict

RockAddict Sanity is an illusion, just like democracy Thread Starter

An earlier post in this thread contained a link to a Stereonet thread - the earlier post is reproduced below:

2. Detroiter in the South

Detroiter in the South Forum Resident

Just compared the stock Willsenton EL34s to a set of Prima Luna EL34s. NO comparison. The Willsenton brand sounds much, much better. More depth, tighter bass, and more clarity. Giving me more thoughts that this Willsenton company is the real deal....

3. Detroiter in the South

Anyone else having problems accessing this Stereonet link?

4. tIANcI

tIANcI Wondering when the hifi madness will end

Which PL amp was it?

5. Detroiter in the South

Prologue Premium. About 2 years old.

tIANcI likes this.
  6. RockAddict

With that in mind, the Tung-Sol EL34Bs (reissue) may well be worth a roll as and when you're able to. IMO, they're a bit like the Willsenton labelled EL34s but with just that touch more "body"; a tiny bit "sweeter". I recently ran the Ws for several days and then put the TSs back in - a definite difference which works for my preferred audio character.

Working but slowish rendering (with a freshly cleared cache).

7. Tony-A

Tony-A Forum Resident

I know some of you guys are having problem with the StereoNet (Australian website). This link was posted there, and I believe is very interesting for those wanting information into the inside of the R8.

Peace,
    Tony

jonwoody, RockAddict and Manimal like this.
  8. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

Listening to jazz this morning . To me and coming from vintage recievers this amplifier sounds amazing. I don’t really have the reviewer skills the OP but I will say my music now just seems luxurious or “ fine”.
    Vinyl through the Ifi Zen and this amp is crazy, both me and my buddy who got an R8 at the same time agree it’s the best amp either have had.
    Listening to albums , is nearly like hearing them anew.
    I also for the first time don’t feel an urge to have tone controls.. it’s perfect. Soundstage is wider than I’ve experienced in the past and probably the first time I’ve heard “ wide” soundstage.
    Listening now with the wife and dogs and the volume set to about 7 or 8 ( on the dial) is detailed and “ luxurious “ . I’m not a guy that buys new gear often and experienced lots of products but this purchase propelled me way farther up the ladder than I expected for sure. I may just be experiencing what a lot of you folks have had for years, or this thing is a real gem I don’t know. I like it!
    I’ve spent nearly five grand on my whole system this year which is a lot for me but I wanted up that ladder.
    Money well spent:)

Losper, ted321, Archguy and 9 others like this.
  9. tIANcI

Someone is a very happy bunny :D

10. Tigertimtim

Tigertimtim Member

Presume it's 230 v for uk use ?
    Also it looks like 15 amp ? internal fuse, as anyone changed this yet for a Amr fuse ? would be a cheap little improvement and of course a better power lead than the one supplied.
    For thoose tube rolling this video might be worth a watch, theres a series of them on the Willsenton R8, a lot of info to take in, my only experience of tube rolling is in in a phono stage when i put in a pair of Mullard blackburn long plates but that was a massive improvement so would look to possibly change the stock El 34's to Mullard or the Tung Sols previously mentioned if i buy this amp.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2021
    Manimal and Tony-A like this.
  11. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

Really looking foreword to the EL34’s.
    What can go wrong from here?
    Ghost in the Machine now... crazy

12. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

I know that the Muzishare amps listed on Amazon are sold by a third party in China, so presumably Willsenton amps are too.

13. Detroiter in the South

Can you link to that post, please?

14. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

Interesting in the youtube video he likes Melz 6SL7. They are Russian tubes and many are on ebay for sale. The best 6SL7 is round plate Tung Sol at about $80 each. NOS Melz 6SL7 are about $40 each. They come from Russia. There are few 12AX7s that can compete with a 6SL7 and no 12AU7s that come close to the 6SN7. The 12AX7 replaced the 6SL7 and the 12AU7 replaced the 6SN7. If you amp has the 12AU7 it cannot sound as good as the R8 amp IMO.

If I did not own a steller tube amp, I would buy the R8 amp. It cleverly uses the best preamp tubes. A quad of NOS Mullard EL34 would round it out nicely with the Sylvania 6SN7GTA and Melz 6SL7 tubes. Here is a good deal on NOS Mullard EL34:

4x EL34 / 6CA7 tubes LORENZ / MULLARD - xf2 - MILITARY - NOS - EL 34 | eBay

Last edited: Jun 4, 2021
    Archguy, Dignan2000, Manimal and 3 others like this.
  15. ayrehead

ayrehead Forum Resident

This is one thread that I've really enjoyed following. It's nice to see people getting excited about the hobby and really having some fun.

Archguy, action pact, Manimal and 3 others like this.
  16. Tigertimtim

Tigertimtim Member

Tube lab's latest video 34 on synergy re tubes is interesting, a quad of nos el34's are liable to cost as much as the amp though, he recommends replacing all the chineese stock at once, personally i think it's more fun doing a section at a time then you can see and learn what differences each of the rolled tubes makes.

Among these in his series of vids he recommends would be
    El34 Svetlana nos, Mullard nos, as the best and Electro Harmonix as a rock steady basic replacement
    6SL7 Sylvania nos, Melz, nos
    6SN7 Sylvania nos, Raytheon nos, Rca nos and General Electric nos as a cheaper option

This site also gives a nice run down on the characteristics of various nos tubes
    EL34 / 6CA7 TUBES IN STOCK

6SL7 VACUUM TUBES IN STOCK

6SN7 TUBES IN STOCK

For those rolling tubes do you find it a necessity to have them all matched as this significantly pushes the price up particularly getting a quad of EL 34's ?

17. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

Svetlana EL34 is a substantial savings over the NOS Mullard EL34. Here:
    Factory Platinum Matched QUAD Svetlana EL34 amp tubes 24hr burnin | eBay

Manimal and Tigertimtim like this.
  18. Tigertimtim

Tigertimtim Member

That's a good price...over in the Uk iam seeing some on ebay from £100 for a matched quad set which i think is still excellent value, might be worth stocking up before i actually get the amp then tinker with the other tubes further down the road to fine tune.

19. Haecate

Haecate Forum Resident

Do you folks think the Willsenton is better than the Reisong A50 MK III 300b? I'm going to get one of them, and being new to tubes, I'm having a hard time picking.

20. tIANcI

Unless someone has done an AB, can’t say at all.

Manimal likes this.
  21. onlysleeping

onlysleeping Forum Resident

I tried the Reisong A500 MKiii since it was available via Amazon prime. I have wanted to try a SET amp in my systems for a while and this seemed like a decent starting point based on reviews. Plus it was a 300b! Since it was available on Prime I figured it was worth a shot to try out.

The package arrived. It was triple boxed. Tubes were well protected. I carefully set up the unit snd made sure to get the tubes socketed all the way. I turned it in and waited 5 minutes to warm up before playing music.

I thought it was very thin sounding - no bass or bottom end. At idle, I could hear a noise from my khorns, still could hear it on my Cornwalls. It was not noticeable while music played, until the volume was cranked up to 80% or so. There were a few suggestions in amazon prime questions regarding a possible ground issue, so this may be a common problem.

With volume up it sounded worse to me - I felt like I was driving a 3 cylinder low horse power car up a steep hill. I tried both the 8ohm and 4ohm tap - 4 was worse for my setups.

One of the 300b tubes (facing the unit, right side) seemed a bit loose. I couldn’t push it into the socket any further. It glowed when on so it seemed to be working. Both channels sounded the same with volume and sound.

Vocals and mids were ok - nothing magical or great that I was expecting to hear. I can’t remember the model, but I remember hearing a 300b SET amp at the California audio show a few years ago with a sweet, lush, seductive sound. This was not what I was hearing.

I left the unit on with music playing at a moderate volume for a few hours to break in a little. Even after about 10 hours I found the sound to be shrill, thin, not enjoyable. Even with piano / vocal it had a harshness to it - the opening piano of “Can’t we be friends” from Ella and Louis had a ringing to it that I do not hear with other amps (mc2505, Eico hf87, even the aiyima a70 was better in my opinion). I tried it a few more days, even made sure to check I wasn’t being a knucklehead and accidentally setting something up out of phase. I was able to return it, so back it went. I’m waiting for my return to complete. It is a heavy unit!

This was just my experience. I’m glad I was able to try it.

I’m still curious about the Willsenton, since it sounds like it may address the bass issue. I really wish it was available via prime since I would not want to be stuck if I didn’t like the sound.

22. RockAddict

It's a bit of a predicament isn't it? :)

As said in an earlier post, purchasing the R8 was a risk that, so far, is turning out very well.

In the debris of hi-fi purchases since 2018, I demoed a Rotel amp, a NAD pre/streamer/DAC and Monitor Audio speakers; all of which I bought thinking I'd finally cracked it. None of those stayed.

By contrast, I now have the R8, a Denafrips DAC and a Bluesound Node 2i, none of which were demoed but all of which I'm much happier with.

In summary, pre-purchase demos *may* help in some instances but don't always reflect how components will sound in the actual setup at home.

Before pulling the trigger on the R8, I tracked a heap of reviews by professionals and users alike, trying to tune in to why they liked / didn't like something about the R8. rather annoyingly (with hindsight), that approach seems to have worked better (for me) than in-store demos.

My point? Buying hi-fi unheard is a risk. But, at least for me, so is buying with demos :confused:.

pressureworld likes this.
  23. onlysleeping

Very true! The room, speakers, components all make a difference. Plus I know the sound I like, and when I hear it, I know! Just need to try various things to find the right combo.

I’m not convinced that measurements or other reviews really help. Just have to take the plunge and plug stuff in, try it out. I suppose with the popularity of the Willsenton I’d be able to sell it if it weren’t to my liking.

24. onlysleeping

@RockAddict can you switch between ultra linear and triode from the remote, or does it require a physical toggle to be flipped? Do you feel like you are missing the “loudness” button? Is bass still present / good with low volume?

RockAddict likes this.
  25. Tony-A

Tony-A Forum Resident

You can do it from the remote. Big difference between both mode in this unit.

Peace,
    Tony

onlysleeping and RockAddict like this.