Willsenton R8 tube integrated stereo amplifier thread

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by RockAddict, Mar 25, 2021.

1. RockAddict

RockAddict Sanity is an illusion, just like democracy Thread Starter

@Tony-A answered the other part so I'll stick to this.

There is still a degree of lower frequency presence at low volume but it's not the same as it would (probably) be with a loudness button.

When deciding to purchase the R8, the lack of tone controls was a factor but my main source (Bluesound Node 2i) has those (app based) so that issue was covered. It may or may not be of interest that the bass / treble settings in the Node are usually close to flat - just +0.5dB each. Of course, small though that adjustment may be, it could just be enough to make the difference for some.

Without tone controls, the options are the usual suspects: different valves/tubes; triode vs ultra linear; speaker position and so on.

NB: in case anyone is wondering, the EQ controls in the BluOS app alter the audio before it leaves the Node 2i - even when the output is to an external DAC.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2021
    h1pst3r88 and onlysleeping like this.
  2. Haecate

Haecate Forum Resident

I was under the impression, from reading the seller's return policy on Amazon, that it was returnable.

3. onlysleeping

onlysleeping Forum Resident

I read that it was, but at 50% restock fee. Maybe I’m wrong?

4. jonwoody

jonwoody Tragically Unhip

I run an EL34 amp myself, not a Willsenton, and by far the best EL34 variant I've heard is the Gold Lion KT77 repro, to me it's the best sounding modern production EL34 type.

Manimal likes this.
  5. Haecate

Haecate Forum Resident

"You may be charged a restocking fee up to 50% of item's price for used or damaged returns and up to 100% for materially different item."

That is what it says. I take the "may be charged" to read as a full refund. Maybe I'm wrong, but if unsatisfied I think Amazon would step in if they attempt to charge 50%.

6. Tony-A

Tony-A Forum Resident

This purchase was my first and only "impulse buy" to date. I originally got it to experiment with tube amplification, and maybe look to set up a second system, since I was going against the grain with not such a good speaker match. My Dynaudio 340 are 88db, and lots of folks don't recommend tubes amp for the Dyna. Well, I e-mailed this guy on another forum that had a set up close to mine. I asked what was his opinion and review of the R8 and the Dyna's, he told me forget about everything and get this unit if you have a small/medium room. I'm super satisfied with this purchase and the R8 shares my listening time with my SS Hegel H360.

@RockAddict You are completely right, I use the triode and Ultralinear almost as Tone control, aside from the Power and preamp tubes also.

Triode gives me a better midrange, while the Ultralinear is more heavy on the high and low frequencies. The UL is also more "forward" while the TR is more "layback" (these audiophiles terms :laugh:).

Peace,
    Tony

Manimal, RockAddict and jonwoody like this.
  7. Tony-A

Tony-A Forum Resident

Gold Lion KT77 is my favorite power tube so far.

Peace,
    Tony

jonwoody likes this.
  8. RockAddict

The Dynaudio Special Fortys are rated 86dB and, so far, the R8 has had no problems driving those at volumes I'm pretty sure are plenty loud enough for most - definitely more than enough to annoy neighbours in attached houses / apartments etc if playing without consideration.

FWIW, my space is approx 14' 6" x 11' 3" and the volume dial of the R8 rarely goes above the little hand equivalent of 10:30. Even before then, the volume usually has enough behind it for music to start being "felt", not just heard (depending upon the music, of course).

@Tony-A , when using the GL KT77s, what 6SN7s (v6 & v9) & 6SL7s are in the current tube configuration? When I tried the GL KT77s, I found the sound to be quite dark with Willsenton 6SN7s and Tung-Sol 6SL7s - the latter replaced the Willsentons which, to me, give a hard, glassy, edge to the sound (relatively).

9. Tony-A

Tony-A Forum Resident

My space is a bit smaller than yours 12.5" x 11".

So far the best combination with the KT77 have been:
    6NS7: Melz 6N8S/1578 a
    6SL7: Sylvania JAN 6SL7WT (Brown base) and second, very close, KenRad VT-163 6C8G (with adapters) Like these better with the KT88

This picture is with the KT77, Melz and Kenrad VT-163
    [​IMG]
    Peace,
    Tony

10. Tony-A

Tony-A Forum Resident

Also,

"The Dynaudio Special Fortys are rated 86dB and, so far, the R8 has had no problems driving those at volumes I'm pretty sure are plenty loud enough for most - definitely more than enough to annoy neighbours in attached houses / apartments etc if playing without consideration."

Heard a lot of good things about the Forty. Good a nice neighbor that never complaint, and we get along super well. One of the first thing that I asked him when I met him, if the music was too loud, and he said, "what music??" :laugh: ....Of course is a detached house.
    Not that I go crazy with the volume, but you know, there's that special day :agree:

Peace,
    Tony

jonwoody and RockAddict like this.
  11. Rcube

Rcube Well-Known Member

Hello
    Been following this thread for a few months now.
    Cant wait for my R8 to be shipped. Seems they still are heavily back ordered.
    I ordered mine on 23 may and still no shipment confirmation.

Was curious if anyone has tried the shuguang and psvane combination of tubes?

My first tube amp and have a lot to learn.

Cheers
    Cube

Manimal likes this.
  12. blue_lu

blue_lu Forum Resident

Has anyone compared this to a Croft integrated yet? I know, the Croft is only a hybrid, but I am curious!

13. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

Your gonna love it.

14. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

Jammin The Wall tonight , bad to the bone. First time I’ve heard Another Brick in the Wall where the kids sound like individuals and not just a “ wall of kid”
    Listening to Masterpieces by Ellington.. what?

15. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

16. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

[​IMG]Going through everything. It A OK

Losper, Archguy, Dignan2000 and 4 others like this.
  17. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

Ordering Loki next week. That would set it OFF!

18. RockAddict

For me (UK), order date to delivery date was 8 weeks but the website made it clear it could be longer - and that period included Chinese New Year. Comms were silent until about a week before delivery and then it all seemed to happen quite quickly!

Haven't tried the tubes you mention so can't offer any useful info on them.

@blue_lu Off the top of my head, I can't recall any review referencing both the R8 and a Croft. Any reason why that comparison is on your mind?

@Manimal So, er, the R8 is ok then? :). You're not wrong about "The Wall" sounding more than decent with the R8. To my ears, The Wall was recorded surprisingly simply but has just a touch of extra body and depth with the R8 compared to previous setups. I'm really looking forward to hearing the remix of Animals on the R8 - it's finally going to see daylight and is now waiting for a firm release date.

jonwoody and Manimal like this.
  19. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

Me too! Animals is one of my favorites

20. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

I’m gonna custom paint the tube box/grill.
    Won’t see it unless the grill is on.
    I have a custom Dodge Charger or challenger wheel color that cost me 80 bucks for 4 ounces . If it doesn’t work out I will spray it black ( bccc)
    The wheel color is amber ( yellow orange) and should match the front guage.
    I’ve done it before… I will do it again:)

timind, h1pst3r88, RockAddict and 2 others like this.
  21. blue_lu

blue_lu Forum Resident

@RockAddict I own a Croft integrated. Since they are in a similar price bracket, the crofts have been loved by reviewers as well I figured it might be an interesting comparison. I suspect the Croft sounds quite different. I wonder how much more "midrange magic" the Willsenton R8 can deliver...

22. RockAddict

There's a review that may or may not help:
    WILLSENTON R8 VACUUM AMPLIFIER REVIEW | Techshezzy

No comparison to a Croft but this extract might be of interest:

"When it comes to production of the mid bass region it makes everything sound a little bit more bloated and too warm. With this integrated amplifier, you’re not going to get that, in fact what you’re going to get is actually a perfect amount of mid bass energy as well as the extension into low frequency and the amount of speed is going to be pretty pretty darn good and pretty fast for a tube amplifier.

Is it going to be as fast as a solid state ? No, but it’s going to get pretty darn close. In fact if you put it to an A B test, a lot of the people won’t even notice the difference between the bass response especially with this integrated amplifier. Now when it comes to mid range, that is where it’s going to shine. This is a tube amplifier that is going to be amazing in the mid range; the strings are going to be natural. Every instrument is gonna sound a lot more natural than a typical solid state amplifier.
    "

Whilst I tend to use more reserved language, I broadly agree with the sentiment about the mid range. IMO, the R8 neither over or under emphasises the mid range, although there is just a touch of warmth to it which, in my setup, could in part be explained by the DAC (R2R).

Certainly for me, I've never been left thinking "...oh, that's too much..." or " ...hmmm, where are the mids? ". Of course, YMMV.

Maybe this is one of those cases where the Croft and the R8 are pretty close and it's a coin flip. But, without listening to both, it's a debate with no conclusion :).

jonwoody, blue_lu, Tony-A and 2 others like this.
  23. Soundsense

Soundsense Forum Resident

Hmm....my Loki has been on back order from Schiit for two months.

24. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

Maybe I’ll wait.

25. Rcube

Rcube Well-Known Member

Got a call from a rather annoyed wife asking what I had ordered that weighs so much

Surprisingly, the vendor did not even confirm it is shipped.

Looks like the weekend will be rewiring the entire stereo.

Got fresh interconnects in advance

Losper, Manimal, Dignan2000 and 4 others like this.