Wilson Audio Debuts the TuneTot

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by LeeS, May 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

Back in 2013, a friend of mine, was staying with us at the motel. She is a commercial pilot, fly's jet airplanes and drives a little Porsch convertible.

She had recently moved to Florida and had her stuff in storage in Jacksonville, and she needed to bring some stuff down here.

She had made one trip before to Jax, with her Porsch. I knew that there just was no room in that car for her to be able to bring much of anything back to Fort Lauderdale, so I lent her my Grand Marquis for the trip.

In the meantime, she left me her Porsch.

I have to say, I really enjoyed driving it while running errands. Everything was in the exactly right place, the seat was perfect, The manual transmission was a pleasure to shift and the clutch was also perfect. The car had plenty of power to boot.

It was right before Thanksgiving and, since I host a Thanksgiving dinner every year, we had to do some grocery shopping.

By the time, we made just one small shopping trip, the tiny trunk was all filled up, so Travis, who was sitting in the passenger seat, ended up holding our fresh Thanksgiving turkey. :)

If I were to purchase a second car to run around in, it would be that same exact Porsch convertible.

LeeS likes this.
  2. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan Thread Starter

It's Porsche. ("Porsh-sha") :)

SandAndGlass likes this.
  3. DPM

DPM Senior Member

Those Boxters are nice little cars, and if you get one that's two to three years old the price is much more approachable.

4. Technically, it is “Porsh-sha” but I have never heard anybody actually pronounce it that way, even car aficionados (which I consider myself). Most people who drive Porsche’s in my neighborhood are not car aficionados, but rather soccer moms in Macans, Cayennes, and Panameras. (The usual choice for this crowd is a Range Rover). There are also plenty of mid-life crisis dudes in 911 convertibles. Occasionally I’ll see a little more exotic Porsche model, but the true sports car fans usually go for something more expensive (and Italian).

Last edited: May 19, 2018
  5. Too bourgeois for where I live (a lot of a$$ hats with inherited money).

6. Steve0

Steve0 Audio Banana

I borrowed one for a week and it left me filled with disappointment . All my life I wanted a Porka (911 shape) and that one week experience left me devastated when I borrowed my friends. Plus I am a biggish guy at 6'3 and 220lb. To be fair, at my size, I fit in very very few sports cars or super cars :(

Pythonman likes this.
  7. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

You'd fit nicely in a Falcon GT or a HSV Monaro

Billy Budapest likes this.
  8. Steve0

Steve0 Audio Banana

I got a 2015 Audi RS4 Avant instead :)

Minty_fresh and Metralla like this.
  9. JBStephens

JBStephens I don't "like", "share", "tweet", or CARE. In Memoriam

A friend has one. A blast to drive, a PITA to own.

10. ZenArcher

ZenArcher Senior Member

Most of which has already been paid for by R&D for other models. It's not like they had to invent the concept of "speaker" from scratch. If someone want to buy these, more power to them. But it's hard to see how the price has any rational basis. It's a luxury, lifestyle item and priced to impress.

11. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

Who are audiophiles trying to impress? Most male audiophiles can't even get laid. Buying new fancy speakers isn't going to impress the ladies. Buying a Porsche or Ferrari and nice fashionable clothes might help, but buying new Wilson speakers isn't going to help.

Pythonman, LeeS and JNTEX like this.
  12. In my experience, most people who buy Porsche’s aren’t trying to impress the ladies, because they ARE ladies—married middle aged women, to be precise. Maybe my wife will buy one.

13. marka

marka Forum Resident

I’d like to hear more about the TuneTot.

Pythonman, Tullman and gabbleratchet7 like this.
  14. LeeS

Everyone here in Atlanta pronounces it this way. Maybe it's because the Porsche North American headquarters is here.

In Atlanta, most men have 911s and Caymans. The women favor Cayennes and Boxsters. Panameras seem to cut across both men and women.

I think many just want the performance but, sure, like most luxury items it is a status symbol. We have good tracks around Atlanta so many take performance driving courses at Porsche HQ or Barber Motor Sports and then do track days.

Billy Budapest likes this.
  15. LeeS

I will have a review in a couple of months. I am still assembling a desktop system worthy but that is going quite well!

marka and Billy Budapest like this.
  16. There is a track in Illinois by me (Gateway International) but I’m not really part of that world. I drove a Lamborghini in a parking lot once. It scared the crap out of me. I’ve driven my brother’s Tesla Roadster and that too scared the crap out of me. That’s about it.

17. Jimi Floyd

Jimi Floyd Forum Resident

Be careful, don't feature the usual "a system that sounded better than some desktop speakers costing nearly twice as much" in your review. :cool:

LeeS, Steve0 and murphythecat like this.
  18. Try1256

Try1256 Forum Resident

I just watched this video, listen carefully at about 2:00, it partially explains why they are so expensive. It also shows the detail in engineering and manufacturing that they use.

Billy Budapest and Jimi Floyd like this.
  19. Jack Flannery

Jack Flannery Forum Resident

So I read the first couple pages and this thing went from expensive little speakers to cars. Guess that’s all I need to know about the little Wilson’s.

Billy Budapest and Metralla like this.
  20. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Agreed - both are too rich for my blood.

Billy Budapest and Jack Flannery like this.
  21. murphythecat

murphythecat https://www.last.fm/user/murphythecat

still way overpriced.

22. Minty_fresh

Minty_fresh Forum Resident

There’s no law that says, in America, you can’t charge egregious prices for things. Look at big pharma for instance.

But it comes down to class. For some it’s attained by deeds and by being a human being. For others it’s attained by their bank account. It’s pretty clear to me where the D’Augustinos and Wilson’s fit.

23. That was fascinating!

24. Jtycho

Jtycho Forum Resident

This is an unfortunate generalization. I don't think there's a direct correlation between being able to afford Wilson's and being a bad human being.

LeeS likes this.
  25. LeeS

ROFL! Funny stuff!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.