Wings: Wild Life & Red Rose Speedway (Expanded Reissue)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Vaughan, Oct 18, 2018.

1. McCartney_Legacy

McCartney_Legacy Forum Resident

And Denny Seiwell's trumpet solo on 'Some People Never Know' rough mix. Finally!

2. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Well...I guess, seeing that RRS is almost a HUGE as "WOA".... that constitutes the price...I guess...

3. RobCooper

RobCooper Cobwebs & Strange

Ooh we are close, mine is 2653!

theMess and Thrillington like this.
  4. crossroads69

crossroads69 Senior Member

Good to hear that the rough mixes make an interesting listen! I was expecting them to be very underwhelming.

The Wings ‘71-73 Period is quite new for me. After getting into Wings with the Archive series, I decided to listen to the albums but wait for the eventual reissues to really dig into this period. For newer Macca fans, this period is a goldmine with all those singles, leftover tracks, live tracks, etc. that were never released until now.

So after avoiding it for many years, I finally played Mary Had A Little Lamb today and it’s now stuck in my head! The tune is so Macca and it’s exciting to find these “new” McCartney tracks from this super fertile period. I had similar reaction when Thank You Darling came up after Live and Let Die (in my playlist).....another fun little track that appeared into my McCartney library out of nowhere :)

It’s going to be fun, Wings filled week as I explore the Special Editions and find unheard gems!

supermd, Mr. Explorer, JDeanB and 8 others like this.
  5. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

So the rough mixes are a worthy inclusion on the set then?

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  6. Nerktwin

Nerktwin Forum Resident

Ordered from PM.com the day it was announced. Universal Music sent me this after I emailed them:
    "Thanks for contacting the Universal Music Group. We apologize for the delay with your order. The ordered product has just arrived. The order should now ship in the next 5-7 Business Days. You will be notified by email when this order ships. We apologize for any inconvenience.

If you have any further questions or concerns, please feel free to contact us at any time.

Sincerely,

Jenn

UMG Customer Care"

Just putting it out there for other's who are curious or in the same boat.

7. crossroads69

crossroads69 Senior Member

Btw, I can’t believe that Paul never finished When The Wind Is Blowimg, it’s so beautiful!

Was this recorded during the Ram sessions or during Wild Life?

8. McCartney_Legacy

McCartney_Legacy Forum Resident

The rough mixes of Wild Life are the best thing about the big box - incredible. 'Tomorrow' sounds like a different song - the vocal arrangement is completely different.
    Much as Wild Life was sold as the "warts 'n' all" album, there were loads of overdubs.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
  9. Kemosabi1

Kemosabi1 Forum Resident

The beauty of music right there friends :edthumbs:. Enjoy

10. factory44

factory44 Forum Resident

Thank you for the information. Disappointing. At least now I’ll stop looking out on my porch every hour for it!

11. Jarek_Venera

Jarek_Venera Forum Resident

Looks perfect, despite a bit different size. For the price of this collection I could have an older car :)

12. sfligio

sfligio Forum Resident

So we can say that they're different takes and not different mixes?

Lewisboogie likes this.
  13. Munros1969

Munros1969 Forum Resident

Very happy to get the Big Barn Box and the 3 vinyl albums today... makes for a text book weekend.

First impression is that the Red Rose Speedway 2-disc set is fabulous. Excellent sound, way better than the old vinyl I have. Looking forward to hearing the new version of the original disc but, at this point, I think they missed a trick not releasing this originally.

Also, the Wings Over Europe disc sounds great on first listen... lots of energy and nice mix of tunes.

14. j1804

j1804 Forum Resident

Got RSS from HDtracks. Sounds great. Also looks great - no limiting in sight. Album DR 11 (for 27 tracks).

riknbkr330 likes this.
  15. tug_of_war

tug_of_war Unable to tolerate bass solos

It's from the Ram sessions.
    Recorded in NY and then mixed at A&R Studios by Dixon Van Winkle in july 1971.

Someone posted a picture of the credits, skip back a few pages.
    (I'm Waiting for more, btw)

16. Pretty.Odd.

Pretty.Odd. Guess I'm Dumb

Weird how it was mixed after RAM? I wonder if that date is actually correct

17. tug_of_war

tug_of_war Unable to tolerate bass solos

Dixon mixed the remaining tracks from the "Ram" sessions a couple of months after the album's release. God knows why.

I assume Paul intended to save them for his next album - until he read somewhere that Bob Dylan recorded "Nashville Skyline" within a few days and had the idea for an entirety different project, so we got "Wild Life" instead.

Mr. Explorer and dvakman like this.
  18. FKA002

FKA002 Forum Resident

Still can't find an HD 1500x1500 of Wild Life's restored cover!
    Here's Red Rose Speedway's HD 1500x1500 cover :
    [​IMG]

coffeetime, jricc, theMess and 5 others like this.
  19. Wingspan

Wingspan Forum Resident

I cannot afford both of theses Deluxe editions, so i had to make a choice...
    I choose "Red rose speedway", for his video's contents. Video's are always what i'm looking for, maybe i'm the only one to think about video's...
    Anyway the "The Bruce McMouse Show" is simply the best thing i ever saw about Wings live'
    If you can afford it, please do... You won't be disappointed!
    Seeing Wings live in thoses day's is a real blast..!!
    Why MPL didn't released this treasure before?

coffeetime, theMess, Bemagnus and 4 others like this.
  20. fdsfd

fdsfd Forum Resident

I can't help but chuckle at those 10-12 seconds long outtakes on Wild Life. Feels like Paul could just cough on a tape and sell it as an unreleased studio jam. Aside from them, I thoroughly enjoyed Tomorrow, as well as our precious little title song, and of course, Dear Friend.

I have to confess, RRS -aaaaand Hi Hi Hi/C Moon- is possibly my biggest guilty pleasure. Thank god, this thread has sort of become a therapy sesh :D ("...I think they're great?+Well, yeh, I been tellin that for 40 years! ) When the Night is smashing and Live and Let Die also sounds fantastic. I'm still a bit let down that much-bootlegged 1882 home recording wasn't included.

BTW, I've listened both of the albums on Spotify, but... I might purchase a copy of RSS on vinyl. Let's see what my bank account says on this...

On a side note, I've always thought that Mary Had a Little Lamb belonged to the RRS-era, somehow. Maybe it's because of the promo video, but was quite surprised to see that on Wild Life and Give Ireland Back to the Irish on RRS.

edit 1: Well, it's vice versa, as it turns out.

edit 2: Totally forgot about When The Wind Is Blowing. First time listening to this and, man, why did he leave that out?

21. whisper3978

whisper3978 Forum Resident

Grrr my Double Album download code doesn't work either. The link given doesn't work (/redeem/rrs-double), nor does the code work when you just go to /redeem. Typical!

Lewisboogie and SgtPepperman1953 like this.
  22. Thrillington

Thrillington McCartney Scholar

What about redeem/redrosespeedway ?

23. Thrillington

Thrillington McCartney Scholar

I am tempted to take the new sets out of the slipcase and store the box on the top shelf. But it’s great looking box!

24. whisper3978

whisper3978 Forum Resident

Ah. Good man. Here's hoping it's soon, though I can spin the LPs later anyway.

25. Eska68

Eska68 Forum Resident

As we here in Germany have to wait at least one more week for the delivery of the Big Box I‘ve ordered the vinyl original double album of RRS for consolation.

What a beautiful item. Neatly packaged as an official bootleg the discs sound rich and full with lots of warmth. A real pleasure.
    Inside is a booklet similar to the previously released version but containing rough work in progress versions of the artwork.

One interesting detail from the booklet I didn’t know before: „Little Lamb Dragonfly“ was produced by Paul McCartney and George Martin...