Wings: Wild Life & Red Rose Speedway (Expanded Reissue)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Vaughan, Oct 18, 2018.

1. Dee Zee

Dee Zee Once Upon a Dream

In terms of Archive sets, how about Unplugged the Official Bootleg?? Are there many outtakes?

Derek Slazenger likes this.
  2. sgtpppr84

sgtpppr84 Forum Resident

Does anyone on the forum have contacts with who they could share this and similarly reported information? We’d really like to receive truly unlimited files.

supermd likes this.
  3. sgtpppr84

sgtpppr84 Forum Resident

So here's the work I've done so far in trying to get the issues resolved with the 'unlimited' downloads:
    It would be great if someone had more direct contacts than the ones I've tried. If anyone wants to help, feel free to start contacting these people again, send email or call the phone number.

4. Digital files.

supermd likes this.
  5. Derek Slazenger

Derek Slazenger Specs, rugs & rock n roll

There are enough for an expanded edition. Details of the full performance;
    "Paul recorded the Unplugged TV show at the 'new' Limehouse Television Studios on the 25th January 1991. The original Limehouse, in London's Isle Of Dogs, was demolished in 1988 during the building of Canary Wharf. The studio relocated to Wembley (to the old Lee International Film Studios) in 1989 and the Limehouse name disappeared in 1992 when it's parent Company, Trilion, went out of business. The facility is now known as Fountain Studios. The subsequent 'highlights' album and CD from the recording, mixed by Geoff Emerick, were initially released in an edition of "less than a million worldwide" and then rereleased some years later. The show was a massive hit with critics and the fans and transformed MTV's 'Unplugged' format into a household name with Eric Clapton, Neil Young, Aerosmith, George Michael and Nirvana (amongst others) later recording sessions for the show.

The CD and album releases of 'The Official Bootleg Recording' featured only 17 tracks, not compiled in order of performance. The TV broadcast version was also 17 tracks but favoured 'Things We Said Today' over 'Hi Heel Sneakers' for inclusion. In addition to the album, a further three tracks: 'Mean Woman Blues', 'Midnight Special' & 'Things We Said Today' were officially released on the 1993 promotional CD for 'Biker Like An Icon' (beware of fakes if you seek this out for your collection). To date the only officially released video footage from the show are new cropped widescreen edits of 'I Lost My Little Girl', 'Every Night', 'And I Love Her' & 'That Would Be Something' on 2007's 'The McCartney Years' DVD set.

The show was recorded in under two and a half hours (including breaks) and, with a couple of small exceptions, the versions on the official releases and broadcast were done in one take.

The tracks that didn't make an official release are;

Intro (spoken)
    Matchbox
    The Fool
    We Can Work It Out (takes 2 and 3)*
    Ain't No Sunshine (take 2, and 52 seconds of take 1)**

*The version on the official releases is a composite edit of take 1 (count in only), take 4 (except the last chord) and take 3 (the last chord and audience reaction).

**The version on the official releases is take 1 with two 26-second segments removed."

6. Brian from Canada

Brian from Canada Forum Resident

As another poster pointed out, the official bootleg moves dialogue and songs around, omitting five from its release: "Things We Said Today" and "Midnight Special," which were included on the "Biker Like An Icon" CD single; "Mean Woman Blues," which was on the promo version of that single but the commercial release; "The Fool" and "Matchbox" — plus, there's two more takes of "We Can Work It Out" (which ended up being mixed in to the final take, and there's a different set for the Best Of Unplugged CD), and one more of "Ain't No Sunshine."
    Oobu Joobu, the 1995 radio series, included a number of rehearsals that didn't make the show, including "She's a Peasant" (a parody version of "She's A Woman") and "Poor Blackbird" (you can figure that one out).
    With the TV appearance not on DVD — only four songs made it to The McCartney Years, and three to McCartney Archive Edition, with overlap between them — you do have enough for a 2 CD / 1 DVD set.

Personally, I think the Unplugged set would make a great companion piece to the 3 CD / 1 DVD set of Tripping The Live Fantastic, should that set also get the treatment as well.

7. beatlesfan9091

beatlesfan9091 Forum Resident

I'm very glad I ended up getting the deluxe sets for both of these albums, as there are a lot of tracks on there I prefer to the originals. The rough mix of Mary Had A Little Lamb with the fade out and then Paul coming back in with "You can hear them singing," the rough mix of Tomorrow with the vocals at normal speed (though I wish it had the backing vocal effects-dum dum dum-that the released version had, the rough mix of Some People Never Know with Denny Seiwell's trumpet :righton:

8. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

I wonder if it might be worth contacting Paul Sinclair at SuperDeluxeEdition.com. He's had enough clout in the past to get Peter Gabriel involved in responding to comments about releases. Perhaps he'd be willing to contact MPL.

9. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

He's into physical releases, not downloads.

10. OobuJoobu

OobuJoobu Forum Resident

But it's a download that is only available via the purchase of an expensive physical release, so that make him a little more interested?

11. supermd

supermd Senior Member

It's not about whether or not he cares about digital, it's about him having the connections and clout to help us get our voice heard.

12. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

Ok

13. sgtpppr84

sgtpppr84 Forum Resident

Just updating everyone that I've just sent emails to Paul Sinclair with The Second Disc/Super Deluxe Edition as well as Stuart Bell, Paul's publicist. I'll update again if I receive a response from either. If anyone else wants to reach out to the various contacts that have been mentioned over the past couple of days, please do so. The more messages and emails they received, the better the chance of getting a response. There's only a few thousand of each box set out there, so hearing from a few of us might carry some weight.

14. Rob Hughes

Rob Hughes Forum Resident

I appreciate the good citizenship there, sgtpppr84 -- thanks! RH

joy stinson and Billy Budapest like this.
  15. FJFP

FJFP Host for the 'Mixology' Mix Differences Podcast

FWIW the download that came with my double LP, while lossy, didn’t feel like it needed any volume tweaking to me.

16. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

Wow! You’ve been a busy beaver

17. badfingerjoe

badfingerjoe Senior Member

So are you saying the download that you got with the double LP sounds fine from track to track level wise and mastering wise?
    No difference in levels from Night Out to Get On The Right Thing to start the album?

I'd be very interested if in fact this is the case....because it's not that way on the CD or the HiRez that comes with the box set.

18. beatlesfan9091

beatlesfan9091 Forum Resident

I wish the version of Dear Friend with the full orchestra had been the original album closer. I like the idea of Wild Life as a loose concept album about a new band, that starts with a couple of jams, moves into a cover, and so on. Having a lush, orchestral Dear Friend close the album would’ve given the album an epic finish.

19. Brian from Canada

Brian from Canada Forum Resident

To me, that "rough start to epic finish" idea was finally realized by Paul with the double LP edition of McCartney II — it goes from sketches to a solid pop song. And then, sadly, Columbia rejected it.

20. Wingsfan2012

Wingsfan2012 Forum Resident

Interesting because the remastered CD's in the car for either RRS or WL, I did not have to adjust the volume at all. Now with the remixed White Album, I had to reach for it several times.........

21. Wingsfan2012

CD's!

Hep Alien and omikron like this.
  22. Wingsfan2012

I strongly feel the Red Rose Speedway box is the benchmark of the Archive Collection with Wings Over America, Ram, and McCartney II getting strong kudos as well.

I love them all, but RRS has made me a much bigger fan of the album than I was 6 months ago!

23. Wingsfan2012

To my CD listening ears the album that I see very little remastered improvement in is sadly "Venus and Mars", that muddy feel is throughout the album. Still one of my fave Wings albums!

andrewskyDE likes this.
  24. Wingsfan2012

I have to say I had my doubts about Disc 2 of the "Rough Mixes" of Wild Life, and I have to say I have enjoyed the quirky differences very much!

25. badfingerjoe

badfingerjoe Senior Member

This is only with RRS and not the released single album version but the original planned 2LP set track listing.....
    The released album tracks are lower in volume than the added tracks to fill out the 2LP set.
    A quick listen to the intro of Night Out and then Get On The Right Thing is very obvious....and the same applies to all the other tracks.
    No consistency from track to track...does not make for a pleasant listen...these track have different masterings.

It's ok if you are listening to the remastered album and the bonus tracks disc but not the 2LP set CD or download.