Wings: Wild Life & Red Rose Speedway (Expanded Reissue)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Vaughan, Oct 18, 2018.

1. sgtpppr84

sgtpppr84 Forum Resident

Welcome to the club. A few of us have been trying to get something done about this for months but to no avail. Can’t get a response from anyone involved with the sets.

2. planckera

planckera The Last Roundup

It happens to be giphy as well!

[​IMG]
    ;)

3. supermd

supermd Forum Resident

I decided to send one last Hail Mary email to MPL about this unlimited downloads issue. I finally got a response this morning:

"MPL work closely with Abbey Road Studios to ensure fans receive the very best audio listening experience. On Wild Life and Red Rose Speedway, Abbey Road Studios are satisfied that the work done does not compromise the quality of the recordings. Whilst there was light compression employed, this was used to the extent where they are confident we can still class the audio files as Unlimited. Abbey Road have given a brief explanation of the process employed below.

All main album files (including the double album) were processed using the Shadow Hills compressor and Jünger Accent 2. Only artistic compression was applied and gain matched. No Accent 2 gain was applied. The tape transfers were “hotter" than the original albums with a fuller timbre. We class these files as Unlimited due to the nature of the compression used to keep the warmth and depth of the original recordings."

4. soundQman

soundQman Forum Resident

Thanks for the effort investigating this issue. I'm pleasantly surprised that MPL responded to the query.

5. xj32

xj32 Forum Resident

Cool info thanks!

6. PhilipB

PhilipB Forum Resident

Thank you for posting this. I'm curious, did you ask them about the error at the end of 'Love Is Strange'?

7. supermd

supermd Forum Resident

You're welcome.

No, I did not ask them about that. I had bigger fish to fry haha.

8. peteham

peteham Forum Resident

Did they ever fix the mastering error on Love Is Strange?

9. supermd

supermd Forum Resident

Not to my knowledge.

10. Paul H

Paul H Forum Resident

Well done. It tells you everything that they consider "unlimited" to mean "yeah, actually, there is some limiting". I'd be surprised if anyone who checked out the waveform for Night Out thought it could be considered "unlimited".

At least we know that what we got wasn't an error, for what it's worth.

supermd likes this.
  11. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

I do not even think that they (MPL) even acknowledged any error. So they cannot fix something that they have not admitted is an error.

theMess, supermd and Oyster Boy like this.
  12. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

^^^I also think that there was a similar glitch on "Magneto & Titanium Man" from the digital/CD versions of the song included in the Venus & Mars Archive set. And that error too was never acknowledged, nor fixed.

13. Yorick

Yorick Forum Resident

Interesting comments from Paul on Bruce McMouse from a 1975 interview with International Musician:

"I've got a few little things waiting to be finished. Did a thing in Europe with the first Wings. It's a film, quite nice, but I think it'll end up as a kids' programme 'cos it's not that great.
    It'll be nice for kids but for adult critical acclaim it's not quite good enough".

14. lavalamp3

lavalamp3 Forum Resident

Presumably just the mouse cartoons? I can't imagine that by 1976-77, why young kids would have been interested in watching 4-5 year old performances of the like of Mumbo and Long Tall Sally.

15. soundQman

soundQman Forum Resident

Interesting that he thinks that way. I think the performances are quite good - better than I expected and Wings sound more muscular than on record up to that point. I like it about as much as Wings Over America, actually, and I wish they would have released it as a straight concert film without the rubbish cartoon animation and story.

Hep Alien and MPLRecords like this.
  16. MGSeveral

MGSeveral Forum Resident

It more or less proved that Macca can't act. If this had come out previously, "BroadStreet" would never have happened.

Hep Alien likes this.
  17. dudley07726

dudley07726 Forum Resident

So do I but I cannot stand the different versions of Paul within the same song. And for all those canned introductions?
    Cut them out!

paulmccartneyistheman likes this.
  18. soundQman

soundQman Forum Resident

He acted pretty well in A Hard Day Night, but a scriptwriter he is not.

Hep Alien likes this.
  19. Brian from Canada

Brian from Canada Forum Resident

His is the solo scene that never made the film. Lester saw in 1964 he wasn't much of an actor.
    And yet, he keeps trying.
    (If you think his Broadstreet film is bad, watch the 1993 Saturday Night Live performance where he plays a butler. Definitely not there for the acting!)

Hep Alien and Frank like this.
  20. MPLRecords

MPLRecords Owner of nine copies of Tug of War

To be fair, you can read the script for the scene online and see that it just is not funny. Goes on for too long without a real good gag. I'm not sure any of the other three could've gotten past that.

paulmccartneyistheman likes this.