Wipe Out: When the BBC Kept Erasing Its Own History

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by shnaggletooth, Jul 26, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

most did not look into the future...too bad for us! so many US TV shows are gone as well...

longdist01 likes this.
  2. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Note that Blu-ray will do nothing for the old Python shows because they were all shot in 4x3 PAL 625 videotape, so HD won't do it any good. It won't do it any harm, either, but don't expect it to be real HD.

3. Slackhurst Broadcasting

Slackhurst Broadcasting Forum Resident

There were a lot of filmed inserts on Python, if they still had the original film elements maybe they could have been remastered and re-edited in?

4. t-man 54

t-man 54 Forum Resident

Actually, that probably explains why there are hardly any ABC in concert shows from the 70's in circulation.There are however plenty of Midnight special and Don Kirshners Rock concert shows. I always assumed that Dick Clark productions had all the ABC in concert shows in their possession.

longdist01 and seacliffe301 like this.
  5. seacliffe301

seacliffe301 Forum Resident

Ironic isn’t it. Or criminal LOL.

6. Paul_s

Paul_s Forum Resident

7. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

I believe that's what happened with the BluRay release.

goodiesguy and cloggedmind like this.
  8. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

My understanding about what happened with Python is the group got tipped off the first season was going to be wiped so they had (illegal) tape copies made...and then Ron Devillier at KERA, the PBS affiliate in Dallas, heard about the show and put it on the air and the rest is history.

Monty Python; a hit in Dallas, just like JFK.

9. zeppage2

zeppage2 Forum Resident

longdist01 likes this.
  10. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

My bet is that there's a 1% chance that they would grab the Python film bits, rescan them, reconform them, and re-color-correct them for the show. It is possible, just very unlikely. The reasons why are 1) after 50 years, it's really hard to track down all the individual elements (sound and picture) for a show like this, and 2) nobody wants to spend the money.

I don't think this is true, but if you have a link about the Blu-ray restoration on Monty Python, I'd love to know more. As I said, it's possible they could do it if they wanted to take weeks and weeks to pull the film bits, and if the 16mm film was stored properly, and if it's accessible, and if they're willing to find the right pieces and scan them. I know some significantly more-important projects where all this stuff was trashed within a year of the show being released.

What I was told is that they did at least go back to the original BBC 2" master videotapes and replayed them one more time in order to capture the best possible digital files within the last 10 years or so. The technology of cleaning up old analog video is a lot better today than it was in the 1980s or 1990s, so at the least, they can make it sharper, clearer, and with better color now. It's still not HD, but it's better than it was. 2" tape is surprising hardy and can hold up pretty well, provided it's been stored well.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2020
    Dan C and cloggedmind like this.
  11. cloggedmind

cloggedmind Doctor Do-Very-Little

The restoration did include original film elements in various episodes. Original 16mm and 35mm elements were used where available. The usual unnecessary changes took place, as well, like the elimination of splice jumps and exposure changes during the How Not to be Seen military film parody, and the digital "fixing" of animation mistakes.

Terry Gilliam and Jonathan Wood review some of the newly restored animations:

Changes, additions and elements not included were rationalized and, in some cases, vehemently defended as "necessary" or more true to what the Pythons "intended". The result is that one or two episodes run longer than their original broadcast, and one or two remain censored although uncensored sketches exist (though, in poor quality off-air dubs).

There are discussions at Roobarb's and the Lost Media Wiki forum, as well as Bluray.com that go into more detail.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2020
    goodiesguy, Dan C, BrettyD and 2 others like this.
  12. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

That is very cool! I'm glad they took the time to rescan and drop in those segments in HD. Terry Gilliam strikes me as a very organized guy, so I can see where he would have held on to his animated films.

There's an entire Python sketch where they make fun of the interiors being on videotape, and the exteriors being shot on film, which had me on the floor the first time I saw it. And I still laugh at the moment where Graham Chapman says, "cue telecine!" (Telecine was the film-to-tape process we used prior to film scanning, all the way through the early 2000s.)

13. JQW

JQW Forum Resident

This was due to the Musicians' Union's policies over recorded music. Radio sessions were only permitted to be broadcast twice, or possibly three times if deemed good enough to make one of the best-of-the-year shows. After that that they tended to be wiped as repeat broadcasts simply weren't permitted. The same rules also applied to commercial stations when they appeared - London's Capital radio also put out a lot of live-in-the-studio sessions that are lost (or more likely not recorded at all).

Similar policies also applied to television performances - hence only four complete episodes of the weekly Top Of The Pops survive from 1964 to 1969.

14. shnaggletooth

shnaggletooth Senior Member Thread Starter

It's why the Beatles BBC recordings are mostly taken from fan bootlegs and 4th-dub tapes rescued from garbage cans.

goodiesguy and cloggedmind like this.
  15. Retro Music Man

Retro Music Man Forum Resident

Yeah, the TOTP archive is a shocker. According to this site, less than 50 complete episodes exist from the 12 year period between January 1964 - March 1976.

There's quite a few individual clips floating around, but still. Wow.

16. shnaggletooth

shnaggletooth Senior Member Thread Starter

Now that was really short-sighted and contradictory. NASA wanted to preserve data for their early 1980's Landsat mission, but destroyed invaluable material from earlier missions to do so.

If those Apollo 11 tapes weren't erased, the footage available to us today might be of the quality for the Apollo 16 mission (though I don't know if this is taken from the original Apollo 16 telemetry tapes):

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.