Wire - Vinyl reissues 2018

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by It's Felix, Mar 24, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gr8trak

gr8trak Forum Resident

Yeah. Over at the pinkflag forums the 2018 CD reviews are generally favorable. I don’t know because I haven’t heard them. My takeaway is that the theory that these vinyl reissues are cut from the 2006 cd files has some holes in it.

2. chahooa

chahooa Forum Resident

Just listened to Chairs Missing. It sounds pretty good to me, better than I’ve experienced it at least. I’ve only ever had a cd copy on my iPhone, so I’m not surprised. I really like the thick inner sleeve, too, as an insert. I just put the record in a mofi sleeve behind it. I got mine for $26 at Vertigo Records in Grand Rapids, MI, while on vacation.

ryanward84 and gr8trak like this.
  3. Pavol Stromcek

Pavol Stromcek Senior Member

Well, I got a copy of 154, and while it's not the quietest LP I own, it's better than my copy of the new Chairs Missing LP, thankfully. It's also flat. No complaints about the sound either.

I have an old US pressing of this album which has a little bit more surface noise than I'd like. I'll have to compare it to this new copy when I get a chance.

Allan likes this.
  4. Allan

Allan Forum Resident

I have a well-loved US pressing of 154 and I'm curious to know how the new one compares.

5. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

My local shop is not having any luck getting PF and 154 on vinyl. Got lucky and got CM, nice copy and happy with it over all. Is there an issue getting these in some parts of the country? I really do not want to buy elsewhere right now. Since I have read there are some problems with the pressing quality on these, could this be causing the delay...

6. Pavol Stromcek

Amazon has even had issues getting these in stock, apparently. Chairs Missing has been listed as "temporarily out of stock" on Amazon ever since the release date (!), and 154 and PF have been listed as taking "one to two months" to ship. I've never seen this happen before on Amazon with an anticipated release like this.

And yet, my main local record shop, Amoeba in Berkeley, is well stocked, with about 10 copies of each one! I had pre-ordered CM and 154 on Amazon, but I grew impatient and got them at Amoeba instead.

So, if your local shop, as well as Amazon, are having trouble getting copies of these, I wonder if the band/label didn't have enough printed? Did someone myopically underestimate how well these would sell? Or is there some problem with distribution? Something is definitely up.

I highly doubt problems with pressing quality could be causing delays. patient_ot contacted the label directly about getting dish-warped copies, and they basically told him to buzz off.

Plus, a lot of people claim to be happy with their copies, so it's not like there's a glaring problem that's affecting the entire print run or anything.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2018
    scotti likes this.
  7. gr8trak

gr8trak Forum Resident

All 3 still in stock at Reckless in Chicago. If I’m over there this weekend I’ll ask if they’ve had many returns.

8. Meatface

Meatface Forum Resident

I had the exact noise issue on my copy of Chairs Missing too. Right channel only & same spot. A cleaning cycle helped, but didn't completely eliminate it. The label on both sides say Side One, funny. It does sound very nice. What a great record.
    My Pink Flag copy has a mild warp but no surface noise at all. Very clean & sounds terrific!

Pavol Stromcek likes this.
  9. landerstnkb

landerstnkb Forum Resident

I saw Amazon US had all three reissues for sale but with delivery dates of one to two months. I knew I was going to the Netherlands in August so took a gamble I could get the new reissue of Pink Flag there and I was correct. The store (VelvetMusic in Delft) had one copy of each album and I bought Pink Flag for €25. This is one of my top 10 albums and one I have been wanting to own on vinyl for a long time. I stayed away from the 4MWB reissue based on the negative reviews and was hoping to find a reasonably priced VG+ copy somewhere down the road (like I did when I picked up an original VG+ NZ pressing of Chairs Missing and original VG+ UK 154 at my local mom&pop used record store a few months ago). Thanks to the reviews here I decided to stop my search for an original and go with this reissue. Can’t wait to listen to it when I get back from vacation.

10. Pavol Stromcek

You know, I still haven't received the copy of Chairs Missing I originally ordered from Amazon.com. And the estimated arrival date keeps getting pushed back, and I'm now not supposed to receive it until Oct 10 - Nov 15! I pre-ordered it back at the start of July. This is insane: why are these Wire albums so difficult for Amazon to source?

I did end up buying a copy at a local shop, but because of the fairly bad surface noise, I thought I'd keep my Amazon order in case Amazon sends me a quieter copy (and if they don't it'll be easy to return). But at this rate, I'm wondering if I'm ever going to get it!

11. Zapruder

Zapruder Just zis guy, you know?

Haven't been able to get Pink Flag in my shop at all, been on backorder since day of release. We did CM and 154 in, but haven't been able to get them back.

12. Pavol Stromcek

That's crazy. I wonder if they simply didn't press enough copies, or if it's a case of heinously bad distribution?

13. Zapruder

I'm willing to bet they just severely underestimated the demand.

14. uncarvedbloke

uncarvedbloke Forum Resident

They may suffer from slow distribution, I ordered a copy of Change Becomes Us from my local record shop and they said it will take a while to arrive.

15. landerstnkb

16. Zapruder

Those are not great prices.

17. landerstnkb

For a limited release import? I played the waiting game with Amazon for the 2016 reissues of Paul Weller’s first album and Wild Wood, which I preordered when they were announced, and I am still waiting. Prices for those albums have only increased. I’d jump on the Discogs prices while they’re still relatively low. Just a suggestion.

18. Zapruder

I’m still hoping the lack of availability is a distribution issue rather than one of actual product. I got mine for like $25. Also, I work in a record store and hate paying retail as a result.

landerstnkb likes this.
  19. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

My guess is they probably just get theirs from Revolver, which is the U.S. distro for these.

After the hassle I went through with my initial copies of 154 and CM, I've held off buying PF. I don't want to get stuck with a bad copy - hard to return new vinyl at independent shops IME.

20. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Nope, and if you get a warped and off-center copy, good luck returning it.

Pavol Stromcek likes this.
  21. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Per the matrices they were pressed at Optimal in Germany. Used to be a fairly reliable plant but it seems more and more defects coming out of their plant in the last year. Especially warps, off-center, and non-fill.

John Bliss and zombiemodernist like this.
  22. Pavol Stromcek

Poor quality control, so I'd like to buy from Amazon in case I have to return/exchange it. I bought a copy of Chairs Missing from a local shop and it's riddled with bad surface noise and has a dish warp. I wasn't able to return it in this case, so I typically go with Amazon when buying new vinyl that may have QC issues.

landerstnkb and patient_ot like this.
  23. Pavol Stromcek

Wow, that is weird. Now we can't even rely on Optimal to do a decent job?

patient_ot likes this.
  24. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

I don't think so.

Pallas isn't as reliable as they were before either. I had to send back two expensive LPs pressed there not too long ago.

25. Pavol Stromcek

Yeah, I've definitely had a few LPs from Pallas that were bad, but until these Wire reissues, everything I've bought that was pressed at Optimal has been great. Super disappointing!

patient_ot likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.