Wireless speaker recommendations

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by eddiel, Sep 15, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member Thread Starter

Recently I've been using my phone to listen to podcasts and some music whilst cooking more often than I thought I would and figured I might be better off with a wireless speaker at this point. :)

I was pretty much sold on the Sonos One, mostly out of laziness :)

But I thought it might be wise to ask for some recommendations on here.

I did look Googles offering. I currently use a Pixel cell phone but I might switch to Apple at some point and I didn't want to be tied to either ecosystem. I noticed that other speaker brands were compatible with either cell phone OS which seemed more attractive to me at this point.

I'm looking for something in the budget range of about $200-300 US.

Something simple, one speaker design, decent SQ. Nothing too big, the Sonos One size is a good guide. Battery power is a bonus as is AUX in. I'm on the fence regarding voice command.

As much as SQ is important, I don't want to lose software/interface performance for the sake of a small improvement in SQ. So ease of use and reliability is a must wrt to software.

Most of my listening will be done via Spotify but I also use some other apps like soundcloud and mixcloud. Essentially it will be mp3 type streaming.

I did look at other threads (searched for wireless speaker) and they are quite old.

2. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

Sonos One looks pretty darn good to me ...

eddiel likes this.
  3. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

Sonos is perfect for the situation you describe, and has an easy to use app to boot. Where it’s Airplay compatible, you’ll be able to connect directly from the iPhone without using the Sonos app. This is helpful if you’re streaming something that’s not on one of the many services tied into the Sonos ecosystem.

eddiel likes this.
  4. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Get something like the Audioengine powered speaker and an Arylic S10. You'll be done then. Should be able to do this for the top end of your budget I think. Not totally wireless as there's a link cable between the speakers, but the S10 is a terrific little unit and the Audioengines will improve on the Sonos, or similar, wireless speakers.

5. GoldprintAudio

GoldprintAudio Forum Resident

You have 3 great options for what you are looking for:

Denon Home 150 -- DENON HOME 150

Bluesound Flex 2i -- PULSE FLEX 2i

Sonos One

I've not used/heard the Bluesound, but have read good things about it. Sonos had been the king of this market for a while now, but Denon and Bluesound have really jumped up their game in the past few years. The Denon speaker units sound surprisingly good.

All in all, I don't think you could wrong with any of the above.

6. eddiel

Thanks for the tips guys. I opted for the Sonos One. Found one on sale as well so grabbed it for a good price. It lacked the Aux ins and bluetooth that the other options had, but budget wise it was very attractive.

Rick58 likes this.
  7. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

I went for the Bose Soundlink Revolve. Has Aux in and Bluetooth, sounds better and louder than you might expect.

Rick58 and classicrocker like this.
  8. SMc

SMc Forum Resident

AxiomAir! Good service, too.

9. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Edifier Bluetooth Speakers is my recommendation although not wireless. Great sound quality, connectivity, and price. I have 2 pairs.
    Edifier: Edifier

10. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

Sonos One looks great, and I'm glad the OP got one ... I want something bigger so was looking at the Denon Home 350 ... but CANNOT find ACTUAL SPECS on the amplifiers in the darn thing !!! Anyone know ??? Each of the 6 speakers has its own amp ...

11. eddiel

Might be worth trying to email them via their website or you can try posting a question on the Q&A section of the website for the 350.

Rick58 likes this.
  12. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

HAH !!!!! I got this response from Denon:

"Home 350 POWER AMPLIFIERS
    Response By Email (Michael M from Customer Service) (09/22/2020 12:51 PM)

Hello,

Thank you for your email. The WATTS RMS for the Denon Home Speaker or the internal amplifiers are unpublished specs.

Thank You,
    HEOS Support Team"

What a cop-out !!! I'm inclined to not buy the #$%@ thing just because of this, but I probably will anyway. I had my question on the Crutchfield site answered by an owner who said it fills a backyard and sounds great ... since that's my intended application I'll probably go for it.

Prob 10W, 20W, 50W for T, M, W ...? something like that.

eddiel likes this.
  13. eddiel

Must be a trade secret! :)

Rick58 likes this.
  14. SMc

SMc Forum Resident

For less than the list price of the 350 you could have the AxiomAir NR2 with presumably a total of 100 watts for three drivers and a 9 hour battery. And a handle!

I have the larger NR3 and it would definitely fill a backyard.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2020
    Rick58 likes this.
  15. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

Thanks so much for the suggestion but I ordered the Denon 350. Had $55 in credits thru Crutchfield so used them. The Axiom unit looks cool too but I liked the dual woofer/midrange/tweeter setup on the Denon ...

SMc likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.