Wise order to upgrade cables?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by WvL, Apr 20, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WvL

WvL Improve the lives of other people Thread Starter

Which would be the best order. I would rather plan on doing it a bit at a time and be able to afford better cables.

- rca cables?
    - xlr cables?
    - speaker cables?

Assume that all 3 types of cables will be used regardless of the music source (vinyl or streaming)

2. luckybaer

luckybaer Thinks The Devil actually beat Johnny

I don’t think it matters much, but I’d start with speaker wire. From there, flip a coin.

Peterr, hi_watt, MusicNBeer and 2 others like this.
  3. crn3371

crn3371 Forum Resident

I agree, I’d be inclined to start with speaker cables, followed by interconnects, power cables last.

Rick58 likes this.
  4. F1fletch

F1fletch Forum Resident

This ;)

Rick58 likes this.
  5. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

Low signal level interconnects are known to make a greater difference vs speaker wires.

Doctor Fine and Lowrider75 like this.
  6. mcbrion

mcbrion Forum Resident

Agreed. The interconnect carries the signal from the source. Whether RCA or XLR. Lose the information at that early stage, and the speaker cable can't make up for what has been lost in the interconnecting stage.

I upgraded my speaker cable to Shunyata's top of the line sometime in the middle of 2020, but the cable was too short, so I ended up selling it. I like the improvement, and I heard it clearly, but again, I misread 2 meters as longer than what I had. So, it had to go. I sold it

Then, several months ago, I saw someone selling Nordost's Tyr 2 (I had the Frey 2), and I jumped on it. And The improvement was obvious within the first day or two (I always play a lot of records to make sure it's not just a bias on my part). The better interconnect with the lesser speaker cable was better than the "lesser" interconnect with the better speaker cable (IF a Nordost Frey 2 interconnect can be called "lesser" - but relatively speaking, it is less good than the Tyr, and the Tyr less good than the Valhalla and so on. Smaller brother complex and all that. You understand.)
    I can listen to the most awful CD and still hear a "better awful" quality in the sonics. Doesn't make me like the music on the CD any better, but I can certainly "understand" it better if it's a classical composition. Oh, I forgot to say: I upgraded the speaker cable again maybe 6 weeks ago. Didn't get Shunyata's top of the line (I'm talking about the Anaconda/Python/Cobra ZiTron line, not the uber-expensive Alpha/Sigma line out now), but got the Python ZiTron speaker cable. In even my most casual listening, I enjoy the music more.
    I even listen to some of that skipping-though-the-forest type music (classical) and can enjoy it for at least 30 minutes before I cut it off.
    So, the interconnect made a more important contribution than the speaker cable. And it was good that I had, at one point, the "good" interconnect and THEN the better" speaker cable, sold them both eventually. The second time, I sold the interconnect first (the Frey 2) and got the "better" interconnect (the Tyr 2) - and heard the improvment pretty quickly, and later got the 2nd-from-the-top speaker cable. I certainly hadn't intended it as any kind of experiment, but it turned out, as I thought about it last week, as an experiment conducted over a 1 year period. And it was obvious which part of the experiment showed the best results.
    Get the interconnect first, or at least borrow it from The Cable Company (who'll charge you for it, but apply it to any purchase. Otherwise, they'll give you a credit you can use in the future). Or get it for 60 days audition from Music Direct, no 15% restocking fee, either.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2021
    MGW, hi_watt and Doctor Fine like this.
  7. Lowrider75

Lowrider75 Forum Resident

IME, changing interconnects are more noticeable than speaker cables.

MGW, hi_watt and George P like this.
  8. WvL

Anyone have experience with Shunyata's venom line?

9. Gibsonian

Gibsonian Forum Resident

Yep, IC's, then speaker, try one power cord and move it around to see if you notice anything. I wouldn't go whole hog on those, won't do much if you already have sufficient Awg and clean power going in.

10. Bodhi1

Bodhi1 Active Member

I put more weight on my speaker cables, hence I run Jorma Statement speaker cables. But am content running Jorma Prime xlr's and upgraded Prime pc's. Though the Prime cables add some warmth which is a nice balance. I've always used xlr's for my interconnects as they have the advantage of common mode rejection and twice the level of gain than unbalanced cables.

11. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

I have older Venom 3 on my A 21 power amp, and Venom 15 I think it’s called on my P 7 preamp. I think they made a small but positive difference over stock cords.

When I upgraded the power cords on my 300B tube amps using analysis plus ICs and then power cords I believe I heard a distinct improvement in resolution. I heard details not previously heard, and it seemed to bring the tubed system closer to the solid-state system as far as resolution goes.

I know logically it probably doesn’t make much difference as to the order, but I agree with the upgrade speaker cable first then ICs then power cords.

Probably because that’s the order I did them in. I think having the power cords done last will show you what the differences are. Since you have improvements in speaker cable and ICs at that point.

i’m not sure what the relative differences are, they all seemed to make small but meaningful improvements.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2021
  12. WvL

Thank you. I am also looking at anticable. I have been pleased with a previous purchase that I made from them.

13. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

Oops it was the Venom 14 that I got most recently (Shunyata). It's on my Parasound P 7 preamp, I moved the 12 gauge Venom 3 to my Parasound A 21 amp, it's a higher current device, the 14 gauge would have almost met the gauge/max current criteria, but not quite ... Shunyata Research Venom 14 Power Cord

For my Cambridge 840C CD player/DAC, and Bottlehead Paramount 300B SET amps, I got some Analysis Plus Analysis Plus Pro Power Oval Mk II Power Cord – The Cable Company which is in their 'Pro Audio' line. Some have claimed that this "isn't recommended for Audiophile Systems" which is BS. It's a well made good value cord.

For the single-ended 300B amps, I got Analysis Plus Oval One Interconnect (Pair) – The Cable Company and for the balanced A 21 amp Analysis Plus Copper Oval-In Micro Interconnect (Pair) – The Cable Company ... I'm very pleased with the sound after upgrading all these cables.

14. Uglyversal

Uglyversal Forum Resident

It's hard to decide which order, in my opinion it will depend on how good or bad each of the cables you are proposing to change are. I would concentrate on what you use the most first. For me interconnects make the most difference. My take would be TT cable, then speaker and then everything else. I understand the venom is a good line of cables but I've not yet tried it.

15. Old Zorki II

Old Zorki II Storm Watcher

I was able to detect slight differences in some RCA interconnects, but never with properly done short XLR.

16. MusicNBeer

MusicNBeer Forum Resident

no, no, and no

csgreene likes this.
  17. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Whatever order you like pretty much.

18. motorstereo

motorstereo Forum Resident

Do your homework on which brand and model you prefer and on used pricing and be ready to pounce on a good deal whether it's interconnects or speaker cables. Staying with the same brand for everything can also simplify matters. With a little patience and persistent searching some incredible deals can be made on excellent quality used cabling.

Rick58 likes this.
  19. WvL

:confused: :confused: :confused:

Unfortunately I missed out on anticable's 20% off anniversary sale. I'll keep an eye out

20. mcbrion

mcbrion Forum Resident

I've had some experience with the Venom line. I liked it, but had come from the Zi-Tron and higher lines. It's a good line and now they have an "NR" line, which is a noise reduction. If it's anything like the Sigma NR, it is quite good. I have to say it's been a few years since I last hear one, just to be clear. I'm sure it's improved over what it was.

21. jazzsurfer

jazzsurfer Forum Resident

Don’t waste your money on high-end speaker cables.

csgreene, Nakamichi and MonkeyMan like this.
  22. bluesky

bluesky Senior Member

eBay perfect used dirt cheap - all cables. :righton:

23. Francois1968

Francois1968 Forum Resident

My advise would be to audition cables of any kind before buying. Try them in your own system in a blind testing. Ask a friend to change the cables so don't know what you are listening to. Very important; don't forget to include cheap but decent made cables. The results may surprise you.

24. Nakamichi

Nakamichi The iceage is coming....

The surprise will be that dirt cheap cables are exactly the same as gold plated, honey coated, diamond encrusted cables costing £100 a foot.
    Loads and loads of info on the net.
    You can go with the science or the marketing.
    Your choice.

csgreene likes this.
  25. Francois1968

Francois1968 Forum Resident

I think I witnessed the first cable debate in a forum online back in the late nineties. During a few years I gave my opinion, but got wise and stopped doing that.
    In many cases it ends up as a fight between believers and nonbelievers.

Nakamichi, bever70 and Lowrider75 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.