With half their original albums already live - which Grateful Dead archival release would you add?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George Blair, May 18, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member Thread Starter

I'm not a Dead/Live collector by any means. Only have the core LP's up to around 1975, including Live/Dead, Skull & Roses and Europe '72. If I were to add just one more live archival release - which one would you recommend?

2. polchik

polchik Forum Resident

damn.

you crazy.

lol

either 'one from the vault' or the recent 'cornell ....'

https://www.discogs.com/The-Grateful-Dead-One-From-The-Vault/release/5155966
    full album
    https://youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_lI6V7id3mqQpVPH2yFwRrLMSJeUeSahpo

https://www.discogs.com/Grateful-Dead-Cornell-5877/release/10232301
    full album
    https://youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_nZMSDq6tUeZxhNjbL16_nReJBNpnS98Tk

i'm not a massive dead collector, but i do love them .... and have BOTH these as well as the ones you've mentioned. i feel they are essential for sure. they always make me happy when i spin them !

give em a listen !!

3. riverrat

riverrat Senior Member

I'm sort of a Dead dilettante as well, a dabbler as opposed to a full-blown Deadhead. I too have their core catalog, and have opportunistically grabbed various live sets as they are released, e.g. the 3 "Vault" sets, Sunshine Daydream (since I live in Oregon) a couple of early (late 60s) sets. But I don't buy everything that comes out, and have ramped down in buying much more live Dead. If I see Buffalo 5-9-77 for a decent price I might grab it, but otherwise think I'm pretty set unless something truly classic comes out.

The two recommendations above are good ones from different parts of the cost spectrum. One From the Vault was recently repressed and is currently available at an affordable price. That might be a good one to grab before it goes OOP again. Word on the street is that Two From the Vault and Three From the Vault will be reissued as well and are also good.

Cornell 5-8-77 is great but going for big $$ nowadays.

4. sparkmeister

sparkmeister Forum Resident

Does it have to be on vinyl or is CD okay too? Your options would be a lot wider with the latter.

5. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

Ladies and Gentlemen, The Grateful Dead
    Fillmore East, New York City, April 1971
    [​IMG]

laf848, Spy Car and ggergm like this.
  6. brew ziggins

brew ziggins Forum Prisoner

Eventually, every live set will get recommended. Of the sets that are readily available, i would point you to the three disc 73-74 PacNW set, Believe It if You Need It, which has big chunks of the sublime Vancouver 73, the giant Seattle 74 Playing in The Band and other tasty nuggets. Pound for pound, ounce for ounce, one of the very gratest live releases.

7. jay.dee

jay.dee Forum Resident

Well, I think you'd need these two: Pacific Northwest '73–'74: Believe It If You Need It and Cornell 5/8/77.

ianuaditis likes this.
  8. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

If it has to be vinyl, go with Shrine ‘67.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

jay.dee and davmar77 like this.
  9. ggergm

ggergm another spring another baseball season

I'd say Veneta, Oregon on 8/27/72. The vinyl sounds terrific. The mix and mastering is one of Jeffrey Norman's best. You need the CD version, too, because that also gives you either DVD or Blu-ray video of a good portion of the show. The video the final version of a famous and for decades unreleased Grateful Dead movie, Sunshine Daydream.

For completist's sake, we even have the New Riders of the Purple Sage warm-up set from Veneta. It's mixed down from the multi-track tapes and out on both CD and vinyl.

It may be the best documented show in the history of the Grateful Dead. It's fitting that their playing was stellar that day.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 18, 2021
    brock, laf848 and brew ziggins like this.
  10. sparkmeister

sparkmeister Forum Resident

This would have been my answer if the OP’s good with CDs

Or:
    Europe ‘72 Vol. 2
    Veneta, Oregon ‘72
    Cornell ‘77

But we’re only allowed one, so....

ianuaditis likes this.
  11. George Blair

Sure, CD is OK. That Veneta '72 is sounding pretty good.

ggergm and ianuaditis like this.
  12. speedracer

speedracer Forum Resident

All of the above are great - your set does not include any good acoustic live. Not archive, but Reckoning is good for that.

ianuaditis likes this.
  13. NH147

NH147 Forum Resident

Would consider adding a handful. Another great 70’s set is the Red Rocks set from 78. Hartford 77 is a doozer too. I would think about looking at 89/90 too. Lots of terrific shows available from that stellar period. Crimson, White and Indigo is a good one which also gives the benefit of the whole show on DVD. And the Saints of Circumstance set from 91 is a good later era show.

14. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

I was going to suggest this or the 2/14/68 carousel ballroom release. Gotta have at least one primal show in the mix.

15. riverrat

riverrat Senior Member

:D

ralphk and ianuaditis like this.
  16. Spy Car

Spy Car Forum Resident

The Creamery show (Veneta '72) is a very outstanding choice. Be forwarded that it is likely to be a "gateway drug" to a wide world of very fine shows that are available and very worth hearing.

The band evolved from year to year and improvised to such an extent that shows from the same run offer listeners great riches. It is an amazing legacy.

Best wishes on your journey of discovery!

Bill

ralphk and George Blair like this.
  17. Cryptical17

Cryptical17 Forum Resident

Dylan and the Dead :hide:

ianuaditis likes this.
  18. George Blair

:shake:

ianuaditis likes this.
  19. Cryptical17

Cryptical17 Forum Resident

Hey man I like that damn record! I’ve posted in other threads my fondness for it and how underrated I think it is. But that’s a discussion for another time.

20. GuitarStrangler

GuitarStrangler Forum Resident

Does it really has to be only ONE release ? There's no answer to this question. An impossible task.

If it has to be one, than grab Sunshine Daydream Veneta, Oregon on 8/27/72.

Some other top tier candidates that should be readily available:
    - Ladies and Gentlemen, The Grateful Dead
    - Steppin' Out with the Grateful Dead: England '72
    - Europe '72: vol 2
    - Fillmore West 1969 3CD compilation
    - Dick's Picks Vol. 8 (or 3/4/10/11/12/14/15/18/28/29/31/36)

If you want to test a bit later eras, than Cornell '77 or Red Rocks '78 are some obviously very strong candidates.

Don't know about vinyl though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.