WKRP in Cincinnati coming to MeTV

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by PaulKTF, Mar 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member Thread Starter

2. eflatminor

eflatminor Forum Resident

The 'Turkeys Away' episode was classic.

mdent, Sean, LarryP and 2 others like this.
  3. PaulKTF

I wouldn't be surprised to see that air on Thanksgiving Day this year. :)

4. Luvtemps

Luvtemps Forum Resident

Good show,I'll be watching.

rockclassics likes this.
  5. AKA

AKA Senior Member

Booooooogerrrrrrr.

clhboa, rockclassics, Sean and 4 others like this.
  6. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Favorite sitcom of all time. I wonder if they use the original music.

7. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

I was wondering the same thing. But I bet they use the Shout Factory versions.

8. Cizin

Cizin Forum Resident

coincidentally I was listening to Pink Floyd, Dogs just as I saw this thread. Had to post this clip.

9. Obtuse1

Obtuse1 Forum Resident

It will most likely be the same syndication package that ran on AntennaTV and FamilyNet (a lot of music removed, sometimes badly).

Oddly, the Pink Floyd track on "Turkeys Away" somehow still remained on the last syndication package (a sound-alike is used on the Shout! DVD, and the old Fox S1 DVD edits out most of the scene).

The Shout! Factory DVD's are still the way to go for WKRP (as they managed to license 85-90% of the original music).

Last edited: Mar 8, 2018
  10. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Love the show.

rockclassics likes this.
  11. Beer Milk Shake

Beer Milk Shake Forum Resident

A blast from the past.

rockclassics likes this.
  12. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

Yes!!!

rockclassics likes this.
  13. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

14. GroovyGuy

GroovyGuy Forum Resident

I'm lucky. About 10 years ago I saw a "box set" of all episodes for a crazy cheap price on the net. I decided to take a chance and pull the trigger on it. When it arrived, it was obviously a "fake" as the packaging was horrible. I was pleasantly surprised when I played the DVD's and they were actually of very good quality AND all the original music was in the episodes! I pull the set out frequently and check out random episodes. Great show :)

15. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

I got one as well :) I think I found it on ioffer.com I was expecting the worst in terms of quality but they are very watchable. I've supplemented my Shout factory set with these.

clhboa and GroovyGuy like this.
  16. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

If they go with the syndication package it'll be a good way to get the ones that are missing key tracks from the Shout Factory version, e.g. "Turkeys Away" in excellent quality. The boot sets out there are pretty good but an upgrade would be nice.

17. NUNZI

NUNZI Forum Resident

I was working in radio at the same time this show was in prime time. Believe me, the show got it right. From the oblivious station manager and plaid pant of the sales dept. to the almost dressed morning man (me).

18. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

I love this show. The teaser was on last night with Ms. Anderson turning a radio dial.

19. Otlset

Otlset I think I am I think

This is great! Now I get to see Bailey Quarters on a regular basis again.

[​IMG]

20. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

21. PaulKTF

Gee, maybe I ought to start watching this show. :)

Benno123 likes this.
  22. Obtuse1

Obtuse1 Forum Resident

True, there are a few songs that were missing in the Shout! Factory set that somehow still made it to the highly edited syndication package.

Sadly when our local AntennaTV affiliate aired it last, the video was so compressed (on all their programming) it was almost unwatchable. The video is generally a bit better on our local MeTV affiliate, though.

Also of note, the syndication package includes the more familiar re-cut of "The Contest Nobody Could Win" (it also retains the original contest medley, but omits a couple of other songs). The Shout! Factory set contains the episode as it originally aired (first run). After it's initial airing on CBS, the episode was re-cut with a different (happier?) ending and actor (John Wheeler replaced by Vincent Schiavelli). The second version ran on CBS as a summer re-run, and was subsequently used in syndication (and also appears on the Fox S1 DVD, with the contest medley replaced).

Last edited: Mar 8, 2018
    wayne66 likes this.
  23. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

I only learned about the different ending of this episode when the Shout! set came out. That was one of my favorite episodes - the 'happier' ending is definitely better.

Looking very forward to adding this to my regular viewing - one of my favorite shows. I watch these old shows on MeTV & Antenna more than anything that is new on lately.

wayne66 likes this.
  24. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

I can't believe, well I can, no one spotted that. It's a shame that no one did because it would've been nice to have the both versions. I had no idea they had a different version for the original broadcast.

25. albert_m

albert_m Forum Resident

I am very happy with my Shout set.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.