WKRP in Cincinnati coming to MeTV

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by PaulKTF, Mar 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

I think the episode that I still think about wasn't even funny. It was the Who Concert episode. They covered the tragedy perfectly. That fact that the actual event happened in Cincinnati make it a snap shot of an event that would change a lot things for concert goers.

mmars982 likes this.
  2. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

Watching Turkeys Away now that I dvr'd. Shocked that the Pink Floyd music is there! Everyone in my house has been told not to delete this from our dvr until next thanksgiving :)

Instant Dharma likes this.
  3. GLUDFSSR

GLUDFSSR Senior Member

One of the funniest things I have ever seen on TV.

Instant Dharma and mmars982 like this.
  4. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

I don't get MeTV in my area. :cry: I do hope someone is out there is storing these versions.

5. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

They could do it too. Minus rhe Bug Guy of course. RIP Gordon Jump.

BluesOvertookMe and wayne66 like this.
  6. ElevatorSkyMovie

ElevatorSkyMovie Senior Member

I have MeTV here, but the they cut the top and the bottom of the picture off. Frustrating. :realmad:

7. clhboa

clhboa Forum Resident

Dish Network just added it but they are showing it in the wrong ratio so everything is tall and skinny. When I watch it over the air it looks fine.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2018
  8. ElevatorSkyMovie

It must be my local station that is chopping off the top and bottom. We also have LAFF, COZY and Grit on other stations.
    Their shows are in the proper 4:3 ratio.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2018
    MikaelaArsenault and clhboa like this.
  9. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

The Contest Nobody Could Win airs in a few days. Which ending will they show?

tedkul and BluesOvertookMe like this.
  10. JeffreyB

JeffreyB Senior Member

MeTV zooms every show they air. It's very annoying. Sometimes you'll see someone's head partially cut off. :(

11. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

There is loud roar I here on these is this normal?

12. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

I haven't noticed any.

A Date With Jennifer was on tonight. I am very confused about how the music rights work. They were able to keep Pink Floyd's Dogs in Turkeys Away but not Foreigner's Hot Blooded? Les getting ready for the date just isn't the same.

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  13. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

are they still speeding the shows up? i know metv does it with a lot of the shows

14. wayne66

wayne66 Forum Resident

They could bring the show back. Pretend it is 2003 or so and have them reunite for the funeral of Mr. Carlson. Have them meet up back at WKRP and reminisce about Mr. Carlson and the old days. They could also talk about what they have been up to since they left WKRP. Would be a nice reunion for the 40th anniversary of the series premiere. It could be a one shot deal, or it could lead to a series revivial.

15. vinnie

vinnie Senior Member

Johnny retrieved the money from the thief...

wayne66 and mmars982 like this.
  16. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

Yep, the good ending.

carrick doone and wayne66 like this.
  17. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

It's hard to think of a plausible way they could bring the series back on an ongoing basis. The cast is all past retirement age and the notion that they'd still be working seems pretty unbelievable. And of course the type of radio station WKRP was (a commercial station that's locally owned and independently programmed) doesn't really exist anymore. One of the few things I liked about the 1990s revival of the series was that it at least had verisimilitude... the cast members who returned to the show were the ones who likely still would have been working at WKRP because they weren't good enough to go elsewhere, while the cast members who didn't return were the ones who had the talent/ability to move on to better things.

Okay, here's a premise... they all live together at the same retirement community, and they are bored with retirement so Andy comes up with the idea of starting a streaming internet station to occupy their time.

wayne66, troggy and vinnie like this.
  18. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

Sounds realistic.

19. ElevatorSkyMovie

They could all gather in the control room to look at the satellite radio service that is the new DJ, and the computer that plays the commercials on cue.

Talk about exciting....

chilinvilin likes this.
  20. wayne66

wayne66 Forum Resident

I would place the show in 2003. That way the characters could play themselves as being in their 50s and 60s instead of the reality of being in their 60s and 70s. My idea for bringing them back together goes like this. Herb and Les would still be there due to their, as you say, lack of talent/ability. Johnny came back because he ended up getting fired from whatever job he was at(Booger). He has done that before during the original series. Jennifer got married and had a daughter. Her husband dies and she finds out that he lost most of their money. Ergo she comes back to WKRP( her work family). At this point Mr. Carlson passes away. Jennifer calls Andy, Baily and Venus(Gordon Sims) and they come back for the funeral. The episode starts with everybody coming back from Mr. Carlson's funeral to the station. They all go to the bullpen to reminisce about Mr. Carlson and their time at WKRP. We also learn about what they have been up to since they left WKRP. Andy got married and had a son. They got divorced and Andy's ex-wife takes their son and moves back to her home town of Cincinnati to be closer to her parents. Andy wants to be closer to his son, so he is looking to get back to Cincinnati. Bailey got married and had two kids( a boy and a girl). They get divorced. Bailey is a single parent raising both of her children by herself. She needs to get back to work. Venus is going by his real name Gordon Sims and he got married and had a couple of kids. Gordon works in finance. Wall Street type of work. Gordon/Venus is happily married but he is not happy with his career. It is not just about making money to him. Venus is a very spiritual man. So he also is looking for a change. Also, lets say that Venus's wife is looking to move back to Cincinnati to be closer to her elderly mother or father. There is the motivation for all of the characters and why they want to come back to WKRP. Lets also say that the station is in financial trouble. Lets say that giant corporations are looking to buy up the family run station. Mr. Carlson's son Art Jr. has come back to run the station and he is stressed out by the business, burying his father, comforting his grieving mother and sister, etc. Several employees have just quit, so Mr. Carlson Jr. (Little Big Guy) is thinking about selling out. At this point, it is mentioned that Andy is thinking about coming back to Cincinnati. Mr. Carlson Jr. perks up and offers him his old job back. Venus and Bailey also are rehired. The episode ends with the cast toasting Mr. Carlson and their continued friendship. End scene. This could work as a one shot reunion episode. If it was well received by the audience. It could come back permanently.

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  21. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

It's fun to make up scenarios, and your idea here would have worked fine in 2003. But if we get realistic, I don't think the cast could convincingly play characters 15 years younger than they really are, and I think it would be embarrassing for them to try. Here's how some of them looked in 2014, and that was four years ago:
    [​IMG]

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  22. George P

George P Notable Member

Who is the guy in the middle?

23. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

It's Les Nessman after getting plastic surgery and going into witness protection.

Seriously, I have no idea. Most likely a fan who got a chance to meet them all at an event. I just found the photo via a quick google.

Aftermath and George P like this.
  24. wayne66

wayne66 Forum Resident

Czeskleba, You are probably right and I am sure the reunion will not happen. Still, I have watched those Me-TV promos for WKRP with Loni Anderson and Howard Hesseman and I thought that Loni still looks pretty good and Howard was wearing the shades so He looked older but he looked healthy and fit. So that got me thinking about all this. Maybe they should do your retirement radio station.:wiggle:

25. Spaghettiows

Spaghettiows Forum Resident

I actually think a reboot would be plausible. Not a reunion, other than possibly guest appearances.

The way I see it, the show would deal with the decline of traditional radio. The station would be the last independently owned commercial station in Cincinnati, always in danger of being swallowed by a villainous national conglomerate similar to Clear Channel. Obviously, Arthur Carlson has died and what remains of his family owns the station and the family is divided regarding whether or not to sell out to the conglomerate or stay independent.

wayne66 and BluesOvertookMe like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.