Wonder Woman 1984 - June 5/2020

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Deuce66, Dec 8, 2019.

1. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

After he did Cowboys and Aliens, I thought, "jesus, WTF has happened with Favreau?" But I have to admit, I was skeptical about Jungle Book, and that turned into a massive blockbuster, then I expected something similar with Lion King, and that went through the bloody roof. Clearly, Favreau has a great story sense and knows how to make these things work. Mandelorian has been consistently great to me, and I've thoroughly enjoyed every minute of it. It's been more enjoyable than any of the Warner Bros. shows (Flash, Catwoman, Gotham, etc.), and I think it builds a world you can believe in and characters you understand.

I'm sure WB is frustrated and angry, because somebody like Favreau makes it look very easy. But his grasp of both the artistic side (story/character/casting) and the technical side (design/sets/VFX) is incredible.

sunspot42 likes this.
  2. bholz

bholz Forum Resident

Yes it was. Just a terrible movie

kt66brooklyn and Veronica Mars like this.
  3. scoutbb

scoutbb Senior Member

We went just to kill time, but it really was a waste of time, and way too long. I didn’t really care for the first WW, but it was 10 times better than this one. Couldn’t wait to get out of there. Even my wife, who loved the first one, didn’t care for it.

Veronica Mars likes this.
  4. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Just a well the cinemas are closed regarding the WW84 opinions, saved me $$$$$$$.

5. Veronica Mars

Veronica Mars Forum Resident

thank God word of mouth reached me first as I was for sure going to the drive in to see it. We loved the first movie. This was pretty much unwatchable.

alexpop likes this.
  6. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

$5 dollar dvd should suffice.
    They ( studio )must surely be loosing money on this.

7. Veronica Mars

Veronica Mars Forum Resident

I couldn't watch that again under any circumstances. I could not condone it.

8. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Get COVID to watch this thing? Sounds like it's not worth getting a Milk Dud stuck to your shoe.

:biglaugh:

Shawn and Spencer R like this.
  9. MekkaGodzilla

MekkaGodzilla Forum Resident

Hey, we ALL need our Vitamin D and Calcium these days no matter HOW we get it! :tsk:

polchik, Shawn and sunspot42 like this.
  10. Exit Flagger

Exit Flagger Forum Resident

Someone should start a "Movies Worth Risking Your Life For" Thread.

WW84 would certainly not be one of them.

Maybe the original director's cut of The Magnificent Ambersons.

11. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member Thread Starter

Box Office: 'Wonder Woman 1984' Struggles to $3M Weekend, Crosses $131M Globally

Elsewhere, 'The Croods: A New Age' stayed at No. 2 in its seventh weekend with $1.8 million.
    Wonder Woman 1984 stayed atop the domestic box office chart in its third outing, but continued to fall off steeply.

Overall it was a grim weekend for the North American theaters as revenue tumbled 93 percent compared to the same weekend a year ago due to the ongoing pandemic and no new wide releases.

WW84 took in an estimated $3 million for a domestic cume of $32.6, according to Warner Bros. Overseas, WW84 grossed $4.7 million for a foreign tally of $98.8 million and a muted $131.4 million globally.

In a controversial move, Warners made the Christmas Day tentpole available on HBO Max and in cinemas the same day because of the COVID-19 crisis and shuttered cinemas in many major markets.

Elsewhere, at the domestic box office, Universal and DreamWorks Animation's The Croods: The New Age remained at No. 2 in its seventh weekend with $1.8 million for a domestic total of $36.9 million and $127.8 million globally.

The animated pic fell a slim 19 percent despite also playing in the home after being made available on premium VOD three weeks after its theatrical debut.

Universal's News of the World fell 27 percent in its third weekend to $1.2 million for a domestic tally of $7.1 million. It held at No. 3.

12. citizensmurf

citizensmurf Ambient postpunk will never die

Wow.

We watched this over the weekend, and even though I didn't have high hopes for it (I was lukewarm on the first one) but oh my was this terrible.

I think the actual character performances were fine. But the flimsy excuse for a plot premise was just ridiculous. Did this wishing stone come from the comic book? What a terrible plot device that I would have expected on some Saturday morning cartoon, but not a major motion picture in 2020.

Aside from the fact that the snail pace of the first half (2/3 maybe?) sucked any kind of fun out of what might have been a good film, the action didn't real pick up until the end, at which point the viewer was so bored how could you get excited.

Man, this was a bad film.

13. NettleBed

NettleBed Forum Transient

Just saw this last night. I hadn't looked at this thread until now.

I really liked the first one, but 1984 was bad, to the point of being terrible IMO.

14. NettleBed

I can tell you what I *wasn't* expecting - an utterly ridiculous central plot (even by super-hero film standards) and sub-par looking special effects. I mean, this is a big-budget film and the special effects often ranged in quality from mediocre to garbage.

sunspot42 and Veronica Mars like this.
  15. NettleBed

Also, the Chris Pine character is literally the first to use the term "invisible jet," except this would be impossible, as jets hadn't been invented before he died.

And if I inexplicably was re-birthed in another man's body 70 years into the future (a premise for its own film, surely), OF COURSE exactly what I'd do is just wander around amiably with no shock to the system whatsoever and check to see if my GF was still alive.

16. jlocke08

jlocke08 Forum Resident

sunspot42 likes this.
  17. If it was the only movie released in 2020 I could understand this effort.

Shawn likes this.
  18. Frozensoda

Frozensoda Forum Resident

“ALISTAAAAIR!!!
    ALLLLLISTAAAAAAIR!
    AAALLLLLLLLIISSSSSTTTTAAIIRRRRR!”

alexpop likes this.
  19. aroney

aroney Who really gives a...?

IF only he had been involved in the craptastic Star Wars sequel trilogy...

JediJones and sunspot42 like this.
  20. Although if it was the only movie it would win by default ;)

21. Yeah, this plot was maybe worthy of the Lynda Carter weekly show.

22. Paul Saldana

Paul Saldana jazz vinyl addict

This sounds like the kind of crazy only a certain spray-tanned, soon to be unemployed Floridian could pull off!

sunspot42 and Pete Puma like this.
  23. Paul Saldana

Paul Saldana jazz vinyl addict

I own that film on DVD and have watched it a bunch of times. Maybe you should give it another chance.

24. MekkaGodzilla

MekkaGodzilla Forum Resident

Many times, when contracts are drafted, certain persons involved in the film's production (cough-Patty-Jenkins-cough) have it stipulated that the studio will launch/support an Oscar campaign for the client. Hilariously a few years back, there circulated an Oscar Screener DVD for the comedy This is 40 that was quickly posted online to download illegally and folks were wondering just exactly WHO in that production seriously thought they had a shot at an Oscar nomination from THAT film. My guess was Leslie Mann, the film's star and also the director's wife.

[​IMG]

25. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

No, Cowboys & Aliens was absolutely horrible. Cost $163M, made $174M, 44% on Rotten Tomatoes. That's not good. It's a very good question as to why it failed, because on paper, it looked pretty good. I think there were a lot of "cooks in the kitchen" on that, changing the script and altering the tone and all that stuff. I also think it was problematic to have both Daniel Craig and Harrison Ford in the same movie, because they're known to be fairly demanding actors who want to be an active part of the process. (I believe there was a previous discussion on the movie's failure here on the forum back in 2011.) Hey, at least Jon Favreau recovered and has made quite a few major hit films and TV shows since then.

In the case of Wonder Woman 1984, the critics have been pretty specific on what went wrong and why the film was terrible. I think the decision to make it 2-1/2 hours long did not help. Like a lot of big action movies, you really need a good, powerful, charismatic villain, and we didn't have that here.