Wonder Woman 1984 - June 5/2020

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Deuce66, Dec 8, 2019.

1. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member Thread Starter

It will completely change the industry if the shift is a success, they know exactly what kind of subscriber numbers they need to hit for this to work. They will know within the first quarter of 2021 if the carrot lured enough customers.

sunspot42 likes this.
  2. Deuce66

WW84 is bombing in China.

Box Office: 'Wonder Woman 1984' Opens to Woeful $18.8M in China for $38.5M Foreign Start | Hollywood Reporter

The superhero sequel had hoped to clear at least $35 million in the Middle Kingdom, where the box office had made a major recovery from the coronavirus pandemic but is now showing signs of slowing down again.
    Wonder Woman 1984 opened to an underwhelming $18.8 million in China, behind expectations and a less-than-wondrous twist for WarnerMedia as it embarks on a bold plan to release its films both in theaters and on HBO Max.

The Warner Bros./DC superhero pic came in No. 2 behind the new Chinese film, The Rescue, which debuted to an estimated $35 million-$38 million.

Including the China number, Wonder Woman 1984 opened to a total of $38.5 million overseas as it began rolling out in 32 territories a week ahead of its Dec. 25 debut on HBO Max and in those cinemas that are still open amid the ongoing pandemic. That included $5 million from Imax theaters ($3.8 million was from China).

3. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

The Chinese have no nostalgia for America of the 1980s, so this should hardly come as a surprise. I'm curious to see how it does in Europe, tho...

Humbuster and BeatleJWOL like this.
  4. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Just preordered my seats for Xmas day. Going to see it in Cinemark XD.

5. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

I know it would feel safer with an empty seat next to you, but this sounds like the air lines when at first they were leaving the middle row empty. Hard to imagine that would make a shred of difference, and I’m going no where near a movie theatre! Kudos to those here braver than I. I’ll live vicariously through you. I do love seeing A list films in a theatre though. Are you guys seeing many people with you?

sunspot42 and brownie61 like this.
  6. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Oh my! That is quite an image indeed! If it didn't seem so true I would congratulate them on an incredible cover. But that would be like praising the cover of Time Magazine depicting a huge disaster. Hard to do.

sunspot42 likes this.
  7. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

I’ll be going to the movies this weekend—for my first time in the Covid era—to see either Wonder Woman 1984 or the Carrie Mulligan film Promising Young Woman.

At the moment I’m leaning toward the latter. It’s a rape movie. At Christmas. That tells you how little I want to see Wonder Woman.

Mechanical Man likes this.
  8. Deuce66

I won't be seeing this anytime soon, theatres remain closed and WB is charging $29.99 + tax= $33.89 for the rental. Bleep that.

9. Joseph LeVie

Joseph LeVie Forum Resident

Wonder Woman 1984 was one of the single most boring movies I’ve ever seen. So very little story stretched out over the slowest pacing I’ve ever experienced. I can’t imagine this really appealing to anyone.

10. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

We will watch the movie at some point this weekend (Pixar’s SOUL tonight) and I will see WW84 at the movies next Wednesday in my local theaters Dolby Atmos Theater. I go every Wednesday for Senior Citizen Discount Day. :)

11. jpelg

jpelg Forum Resident

It was not only disappointing, it was downright bad, sadly.

bholz, Scott222C, jlocke08 and 5 others like this.
  12. leemelone

leemelone Forum Resident

I just finished watching it and I rate it a solid "Meh". The only thing good about this movie are Gail Godot's looks. If you're thinking about signing up for HBO Max just to watch this, I would recommend saving your $14.99. :shake:

13. GLUDFSSR

GLUDFSSR Senior Member

It was really bad, started out ok for the first hour but after that just plan bad
    Horrible villains, horrible script.

Scott222C and Charles Adams like this.
  14. JakeMcD

JakeMcD Forum Resident

Just watched it. Bad. I wanted to rescue Gal Godot from this film.

15. GLUDFSSR

GLUDFSSR Senior Member

Kind of a shame the 1st half was very entertaining but the 2nd half was bad enough to ruin the entire movie for me.
    It felt like 2 different movies.

16. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

I watched it tonight in a large family gathering, and, during the first half of the film, the teenagers in the room where complaining “this is awful” because there was no “action.” I thought the movie was very uneven and had a lot of problems, yet, I did find the ending interesting, because, instead of beating up Max Lord like she just beat up the Cheetah, Wonder Woman saved the day by talking him down, appealing to the better angels of his (and the rest of the world’s) nature, and applying the lesson about following the truth at any cost that was taught to her as a child in the film’s opening scene. I thought that was a bit of a radical departure from solving problems through violence. Instead, she saves the day by renouncing her wish, giving up her true love, and doing what, deep down, she knows she has to do.

Having said that, I thought Kristen Wiig was largely wasted as the Cheetah. I think the film would have benefited from focusing on one villain or the other, but not on both. Further, the Cheetah storyline suffered from a problem that plagues almost every superhero movie: namely, that we are forced to waste 30 to 45 minutes of screen time explaining how the hero or the villain, or both, “got that way.” Why can’t Kristen Wiig just be the Cheetah from the get-go? If I go see a Batman movie, why can’t the Joker just appear and be the Joker, without wasting half the movie explaining how he was a failed stand-up comedian or whatever? I recognize that some superhero movies do take that approach, and maybe the Cheetah is too obscure for the average viewer to be plunged into a movie where Wonder Woman is facing off against the Cheetah with no explanation of how the Cheetah got that way, but the endless origin stories cut into time that could be better spent on the plot of these movies.

That the villain was “the god of lies,” just as the first movie’s villain was the god of war, had the potential to be an interesting concept, I thought, a concept that ties in with the mythology of Wonder Woman as a goddess in her own right, yet, with a few exceptions, the concept just wasn’t handled very well, and I didn’t like the actor who played Max Lord, if that was his name. He just wasn’t a good actor.

Gal Gadot is perfect for her role: I hope she is given a better showcase for her talents when the inevitable Wonder Woman 3 comes out.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2020
    jpelg and JackBnimble like this.
  17. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

I probably would have like this movie a lot less than I did if I had been forced to pay $40 to $60 to take the fam to the theatre to watch this with a bunch of strangers talking and playing on their phones. Instead I got to watch it at home basically for free with the teenagers in the room talking and playing on their phones.

Good riddance to going to see movies like this in the theatre.

jpelg likes this.
  18. the real pope ondine

the real pope ondine Forum Resident

Curveboy likes this.
  19. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Just saw it tonight in Cinemark XD.

Great opening, soft middle, and not a good ending. Don't want to spoil anything so I'll write more later.

Veronica Mars and scobb like this.
  20. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

So what was the deal with Lynda Carter's voice, was it dubbed by someone else? Great to see her though.

jpelg, JackBnimble and scobb like this.
  21. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

I thought it was good, 7/10 good. The leads all deliver. But the story is a bit all over the place and preposterous, and there are some clunky scenes. Gadot shines as ever, and her and Chris Pine's scenes are mostly fun. I liked this flick.

I wonder what Patty Jenkins' original ending was supposed to be, apparently Warners made her change it.

jhm, sunspot42 and GentleSenator like this.
  22. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

Oh Dear, just got back home from seeing this in 3D! There are a few chuckle moments but I felt this was more of a Turkey than yesterdays lunch... perhaps 2 or 3 out of 10. That's really sad as I had high hopes and liked the first one.

23. Veronica Mars

Veronica Mars Forum Resident

Thanks for revealing the ending. IDiotic!

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  24. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I was streaming it and made it about half way through before turning it off.

Scott222C likes this.
  25. thetman

thetman Forum Resident

I kinda like a lot of the superhero movies, including the first WW movie.
    But this one was pretty bad. It had a few decent moments but basically just dragged on and fell apart in the last half hour, including the amateurish Cheetah makeup.
    [​IMG]

GentleSenator likes this.