“Won’t You Be My Neighbor?” (Fred Rogers documentary) in theaters June 8th

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by AKA, Mar 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AKA

AKA Senior Member Thread Starter

2. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

3. AKA

AKA Senior Member Thread Starter

The boy in the wheelchair was Jeff Erlanger. Look at the genuine joy, love and excitement on Fred Rogers’ face as Jeff surprised him at his TV Hall of Fame induction 18 years later:

4. modrevolve

modrevolve Forum Resident

Watched this at work and teared up a little bit. Mr Rogers and Jim Henson were both such an important part of my childhood development. There will never be another person like him.

5. Solaris

Solaris a bullet in flight

He's one of the finest human beings who ever lived, a great example for us all. I count myself very fortunate to have grown up watching his show.

mpayan, jwoverho, ianuaditis and 14 others like this.
  6. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

It looks like the documentary is full of scenes from the original show.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  7. hybrid_77

hybrid_77 Forum Resident

In agreement with all of the above. His show should be required viewing for all children.

daca, Solaris, longdist01 and 3 others like this.
  8. Beatmusicfan

Beatmusicfan Forum Resident

I grew up watching Mr. Rogers and am thankful for the experience. As I got older, it was easy to mock him and his show for being juvenile and uncool. It seemed that what he was teaching us was very obvious, yet he kept on, continually reaching new audiences.

As the current day world continues to be a negative and largely unfriendly place, Mr. Rogers and his message shine like a beacon across a dark sky. Maybe it’s because I’m nostalgic. Maybe it’s because I’m a parent of young child. Maybe it’s because he’s been gone for so long. Maybe it’s just that the timing is right for some positive reaffirmation. Maybe it’s because everyone knew that who he was and what he said wasn’t an act.

My local PBS station just recently showed “Mr. Rogers- It’s You I Like” and much like the trailer above, the show was a look back at the man as well as his message. I got teary- eyed several times as I watched, probably for any one or a combination of the reasons I mentioned above. His message is still as obvious as it’s always been, yet it seems to mean much more now- to me at least.

Watching his TV Hall of Fame speech above, one could see that he had the respect of everyone there and while his speech was still as obvious with its content, it was no less profound. The current world could really use him, or several like him.

Comet01, stuwee, BZync and 12 others like this.
  9. Dirkwkirk

Dirkwkirk Forum Resident

He seemed to be the "real deal". Which is unusual anymore.

BZync, clhboa, daca and 1 other person like this.
  10. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

I saw the film on Wednesday. It was terrific, in my opinion. It's most definitely a one-sided affair, with some criticisms of his work presented more as strawmen to be quickly knocked over than to create a legitimate balance. But it is a very moving film, especially if you identify with someone sticking strongly to his core values (gentleness, respect, compassion) in a world that often treats those things as signs of weakness rather than signs of strengths.

11. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Here's something I posted in the thread about Tom Hanks playing Mr. Rogers in an upcoming film:

The Wikipedia article quotes Esquire magazine describing a scene at the 1997 Daytime Emmys:

Mister Rogers went onstage to accept the award—and there, in front of all the soap opera stars and talk show sinceratrons, in front of all the jutting man-tanned jaws and jutting saltwater bosoms, he made his small bow and said into the microphone, "All of us have special ones who have loved us into being. Would you just take, along with me, ten seconds to think of the people who have helped you become who you are. Ten seconds of silence."

And then he lifted his wrist, looked at the audience, looked at his watch, and said, "I'll watch the time." There was, at first, a small whoop from the crowd, a giddy, strangled hiccup of laughter, as people realized that he wasn't kidding, that Mister Rogers was not some convenient eunuch, but rather a man, an authority figure who actually expected them to do what he asked. And so they did. One second, two seconds, three seconds—and now the jaws clenched, and the bosoms heaved, and the mascara ran, and the tears fell upon the beglittered gathering like rain leaking down a crystal chandelier. And Mister Rogers finally looked up from his watch and said softly "May God be with you," to all his vanquished children.

The phrase "loved you into being" is absolutely beautiful.

I want to be Fred Rogers when I grow up.

goodiesguy, stuwee, BZync and 9 others like this.
  12. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

The primary interviewees are asked to do this exercise near the end of documentary. A woman near me in the audience was sobbing at that point.

13. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Never got “Mr. Rogers.” Maybe he was the Barney of his generation. But I know from age 10 on, I’d watch him as a kid fascinated, trying to figure out why he seemed so weird.

14. Solaris

Solaris a bullet in flight

Seek therapy. Now.

spanky1, Comet01, clhboa and 9 others like this.
  15. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

I get the impression that there were kids in dysfunctional families where the TV presence of Fred Rogers was the calm, kind, rational parent the kids knew they needed and deserved.

16. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

I could totally see that being the case. Sometimes when you are in the middle of chaos and fear and sadness all you need is a calming, reassuring voice.

17. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

Now I understand.

18. swandown

swandown Under Assistant West Coast Forum Resident

I thought the show was weird at age 4. All I wanted to watch was "The Electric Company".

Steve Carras likes this.
  19. profholt82

profholt82 Resident Blowhard

A friend of mine did some production work on this one, and was telling me all about it last year. I didn't realize it was finally out. Thanks for letting me know.

longdist01 and sunspot42 like this.
  20. profholt82

profholt82 Resident Blowhard

I remember this clip from many years ago, and it demonstrates how Mr. Rogers was able to explain important things in terms that children can relate to and understand. Issues that can be difficult for parents to broach with their children. Going back and watching it now, it makes me realize what a special man he really was.

daca, longdist01, sunspot42 and 4 others like this.
  21. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member

PBS had 3 great shows when I was a kid:
    1) Sesame Street
    2) Mr Rogers
    3)Electric Company ......This one was with Morgan Freedman

clhboa, daca, longdist01 and 2 others like this.
  22. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

No love for 3-2-1 Contact? :)

sunspot42 likes this.
  23. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

will there be a BD of this?

24. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

It looks like it's DVD only.

25. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

too bad...who's putting it out? Shout Factory?...they're good for that crap...give 'em DVD at BD prices...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.