Woo hoo! Yet another Doors Greatest Hits set

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tyler, May 29, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tyler

Tyler Senior Member Thread Starter

Ah just what the world needs, another Doors compilation.

Music Tap reports that a 2cd set (Absolutely Best of The Doors) will be in stores on August 12th.

It'll look good sitting on my shelf next to "The Best of the Doors" and "The Doors Greatest Hits".

2. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist

You can put it right next to that new Beach Boy comp.

mud-:D

3. TSmithPage

TSmithPage Ex Post Facto Member

I'm not sure if I have space with all my Heart and the Who hits compilations!

4. Drew

Drew Senior Member

If it isn't in high-rez, I know I won't be spending my hard earned cash.

5. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist

Drew, I'm with you on this one. No more comps for me unless there's something exceptionally rare. If not, hi-rez only.

mud-

6. sjc

sjc New Member

The worst thing about these ever multiplying collections is that they tend to push the catalog items out of the way in stores especially of the Media Play, Best Buy, Circuit City variety. These things are worse than Kudzu.... steve c

7. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

When they stop selling, they'll stop remastering...Hey, maybe next remaster a bonus "New Doors' track...WOW!:) Where's Jim?

8. Claus

Claus Senior Member

Oh no... :mad:

9. AKA

AKA Senior Member

Stop it, Elektra! Sheesh!

10. Matt

Matt New Member

Geez louise, they only had six studio albums! Now they've got more compilations! How many times can you cut this salami?

11. TSmithPage

TSmithPage Ex Post Facto Member

I'm aware of at least 3 Naked Eyes compilations, and that band only had 2 records. I think the 2 records could almost completely fit on a single CD.

Steve Miller's Greatest Hits (the DCC version mastered by Hoffman) basically compiled the best of his 2 biggest records, Book of Dreams and Fly Like an Eagle, along with one hit single, "The Joker". Didn't the second Eagles Hits CD basically draw from only 2 records as well? Sometimes the labels have no shame.

12. :laugh:
    :laugh: :laugh:
    How about Rhino Handmade giving us "Other Voices" and "Full Circle" as a nice limited edition twofer, instead? Or how about Elektra/Warner, finally issuing the 24 bit HDCD remasters individually. I was tired of waiting. I ended up buying the expensive Japanese imports from CDNOW.

13. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

Maybe this latest Doors Greatest Hits set will include bonus tracks, like updated versions of Doors classics performed by the reunion band (21st Century Doors?). Ooooooh, I can only hope.

Jim W.

14. AKA

AKA Senior Member

So, out of these, which is your favorite Doors album:

The Best Of The Doors (1973)
    The Greatest Hits
    Classics
    The Best Of The Doors (1985)
    The Doors (soundtrack)
    Greatest Hits (1996)
    The Doors (box set)
    Essential Rarities
    The Best Of The Doors (2000)
    Greatest Hits (2001)
    The Very Best Of The Doors
    The Absolute Best Of The Doors

Oh, I think they have some other albums, but some of them don't have "Light My Fire" on them, so they don't count.

Universal should also be ashamed of themselves for what they've done with Sublime. The band only had three albums, but that doesn't stop Universal from releasing two compilations - "Greatest Hits" and one from the "20th Century Masters - The Millennium Collection" series.

15. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist

It's a toss up between The BEST of the Doors and The VERY BEST of the Doors. Keeps me awake at nights.

mud-

16. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

No contest. The Doors soundtrack of course. bwahahahahah:D

Jim W.

17. reechie

reechie Senior Member

Rhino must have been impressed by the charting of that last Monkees comp.
    :rolleyes:

Wait, maybe somebody'll sue over this one! :D

18. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

It will be worth it only if they finally include the single mixes/edits...

19. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Brad, don't forget Weird Scenes Inside the Goldmine, a 1972 double-LP set.

20. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

I would love it if this new Doors compilation would have some tracks from Other Voices and Full Circle to differentiate it from the other compilations, but I somehow doubt it.

Of course, my main question with the new compilation is, who is mastering it? Hopefully it will be done well.

21. Tyler

Yup only two Eagles albums (Hotel California & The Long Run).

22. Tyler

I think it was former "Kids in the Hall" member Bruce McCullogh who said the following from his "Shame based man" comedy album. The track is called "Doors"

Hey man, listen up. I'm gonna let you in on a little secret. You know that new Depeche Mode album? It sucks. You know what? That new Cure album? It sucks. That new Happy Mondays album? I don't know if there is one, but if there is, it sucks. I can say this 'cause I know. 'Cause I'm a Doors fan. And you know, if you want to be a Doors fan, you know what? You might already be one, and you don't even know it. You know, sort of like being gay, you're walking around, you know something's up, you just don't know what it is. You see, Doors fans aren't made, they're born. I'll bet right now, in Africa, there's some guy madely beatin' on a drum; he's one. Or an old lady on a bus, suckin' humbugs; she's a Rider on The Storm, and she don't even know it. I do... 'Cause I'm a Doors fan.
    And if you want to be a Doors fan, don't just go buy a greatest hits album. Greatest Hits albums are for housewives and little girls. You want to be a Doors fan, you gotta do it right. It's very scientific. You gotta buy Waiting For The Sun. It's their third album, but really it's their first. We call it the departure point.

Okay, Quick quiz: Who's on bass? No bass. That's right. The Doors had no bass. You see, the gypsies had no homes. Don't let that scare you, let that free you. Let that liberate you. 'Cause when you're free-flying with the Doors, man, you don't need no safety net. If you scream, "Viva la Doors!" loud enough for your landlord to start thumpin' on the walls, then you might in fact be a Doors fan.

There's one way to know for absolute sure. Get an eight-track tape of LA Woman -there's only a few in existence- and steal a car. Even if you own one, steal a car. Get in that car, play the tape, full blast, and drive West. When the tape ends, get out, and go to the nearest bar, and start to play pool, or pinbball, or possibly even foosball, and wait to get into a fight. Afterwards, get back into that car, and drive till it runs out of gas. Then, torch it. And if, as you're standing there, watching those flames, if you can still hear the Doors sound, you will have become a Doors fan. You wanna know how I know? You wanna know who told me? Well, last year, Jim f*&!^$' Morrisson told me, that's who. He came to me, 'cause I'm a Doors fan. I'm a Doors fan, man... man, I love their sound. I like the Doors.

23. Andrew

Andrew Chairman of the Bored

Coming next: "Absolutely the Very Best of the Best of The Doors"

24. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist

Followed shortly after by Part 2.

mud-

25. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

Well, my Canadian 2-CD BEST OF THE DOORS does have "No Me Moleste Mosquito." ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.