Woodstock (1969) - movie discussion

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Michael, Aug 1, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

I don't know what happened to my tickets from the festival. I think I might have thrown them away by mistake. We actually had tickets!

Macman, RiRiIII and Chris DeVoe like this.
  2. carrick doone

carrick doone Whhhuuuutttt????

Just watched the movie on Netflix. It is a nice love letter to the event.

Vidiot likes this.
  3. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

This woman had tickets, and went to the festival, but by the time she got through there was nobody to give them to.

RiRiIII likes this.
  4. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O! Thread Starter

my wife, the rest of the band wasn't there. 75,000+ ppl as I was told by a Police Officer...he said possibly more, but damn there was an incredible sea of ppl! it was awesome...and they were still coming in...I just had to play on hallowed ground where I attended as a teenager back in 1969...who knew 25 years later I would be playing there...what a great memory and experience for us...
    was hanging out with my friend Melanie and her brother, we talked of writing songs together after he heard our set...loved the songs...Melanie did a great set! I've loved her music since I was a teenager...that was a long time ago...

5. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Is there footage of your performance Michael?

6. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

One thing that nobody has mentioned is that this last HD remaster actually went back and rescanned the original 16mm camera negative and redid all of the composites (the multiple frames and shots and so on) for the conform. So for the first time, a lot of these shots are much sharper and clearer than they've ever been before. The old 70mm release was grainy and ugly and gnarly looking, but they did it so they could hype the 6-track sound mix. I've never, ever seen Woodstock look good until the Criterion Blu-ray. They did a terrific job on it.

7. Cokelike-

Cokelike- Forum Resident

Wait, so after buying the original dvd, the fringe box set and then the revisited blu, there is Still another upgraded copy out there? This is the criterion? Criterion is the only version this sharp?

8. Wayne Hubbard

Wayne Hubbard Forum Resident

There is no Criterion version of "Woodstock"

Both the 40th anniversary and 45th (40th revisited) use the same transfer for the movie. 2k scan of the original film elements like @Vidiot mentioned. He may have mixed up "Woodstock" with "Monterey Pop" which does has a Criterion version.

There are differences with the bonus material in the 40th and 45th releases.

Cokelike- likes this.
  9. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Did I misread that? I'm actually at work and don't have the Blu-ray handy -- I just assumed they had gotten the rights. My apologies. Amazon tells me the version I have is the 2014 "40th Anniversary Director's Cut" version from WB (which should have been the 45th Anniversary). I know that WB's MPI department did the scanning and mastering.

Is there a 50th Anniversary Blu-ray edition of Woodstock?

Michael likes this.
  10. Michael

No...

11. carrick doone

carrick doone Whhhuuuutttt????

Sorry for this - wrong thread. I meant the PBS doc. That was quite nice. This one I've only seen once many years ago.

Vidiot, Humbuster and Michael like this.
  12. Everybody who has posted in this thread except you?

fdog, Grand_Ennui, chacha and 2 others like this.
  13. Michael

perfect time to watch it-presently! : )

All Down The Line likes this.
  14. Michael

: ) he'll watch it someday but this weekend is a cool time to partake in the festival...; )

15. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

The last part was supposed to be a humorous nod to the 1971 movie The Omega Man. I’m sorry you didn’t get the reference or find it funny.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  16. Buggsy

Buggsy Forum Resident

i'm not sure if this topic is appropriate here, but i'm gonna try anyway - unless i get pressed to open a new thread on it:
    having read the "coverless" book accompanying the 38-cd big box, i stumbled across another documentary movie about the woodstock festival. it's called "aquarian rushes", directed by jud yalkut. instant rersearch told me that it's a kind of experimental movie, 16mm, colour, sound, 47 min. a 16mm copy can be rented somehow - for $ 100. (Aquarian Rushes - Jud Yalkut - The Film-Makers' Cooperative )
    has anybody out there seen this film and can go a bit into detail as to the contents? would be greatly appreciated.

17. Cryptical17

Cryptical17 Forum Resident

I’ve seen the Omega Man. Charlton Heston watches something that’s actually NOT in the Woodstock movie! Looks like Some people dancing in a circle. As I said it’s not in the movie.

18. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

One of my favourite movies ever

19. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

Why Grateful dead ,CCR, Johnny Winter.. didn't appear? Just out of curiosity

20. wgb113

wgb113 Forum Resident

The PBS documentary looked sharper than both the Amazon and Apple trailers. Any idea what source PBS used?

21. Cokelike-

Cokelike- Forum Resident

Grateful Dead didn't like their set, which is understandable since it's not their best at all.

CCR. Fogerty has been discussing this in interviews lately. Basically he never liked his set because he was playing after the Dead and thought everyone was asleep. You can find one of his recent interviews for more on this.

For Winter, not sure, but i think only a song or 2 was captured.

22. Michael

Winter was on fire at Woodstock!

23. Warren Hawk

Warren Hawk Forum Resident

Wow! I considered myself a Woodstock fanatic and literally have every piece of video and audio that has ever come out or been bootlegged (including the new 38CD box). BUT I have never heard of this film. After seeing the screen shots I am dying to see it!!! But are you kidding me???? $100 just to rent it???? That's unreal. I paid 1/8 of that to have the ENTIRE audio of the festival newly mixed and sounding as perfect as it could ever be (and I own it...forever). $100 for a rental of any kind that I've never even heard of is ridiculous, especially since it's less than an hour long!!! But I am certainly curious about it.....

Last edited: Aug 20, 2019
  24. fast'n'bulbous

fast'n'bulbous tight also

Note that what you rent appears to be a 16mm film. Looks like you fill out an application and you have to get approved. But if anyone in New York has a projector and a screening facility let me know. I'm sure we could get enough people to chip in and defray expenses.

25. chicofishhead

chicofishhead Forum Resident

There is a version of the 184-minute documentary that chooses a single shot at a time. I saw it (projected from 16mm) in 1989.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.