Woodstock 50 is officially **OFF**!*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Nomadicarchivist, Nov 29, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Why celebrate a festival that was declared a disaster area by the NY Govenor, had 2 deaths and 95% of the audience left before Hendrix played?

EVOLVIST likes this.
  2. painted8

painted8 Forum Resident

3. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

I don't know if they qualify as a powerhouse touring unit or charismatic stage performers, however, and the less said about Skrillex the better. I really hate to be that guy, but those initial names don't exactly overwhelm the line up from fifty years ago. What's the point in trying to assume the mythical Woodstock mantle when they could just create their own festival that would better showcase their own skills without the outsized expectations? I don't think that it's wise to be pitting themselves against yesterday's legends like this.

4. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

If the machine gets its way they may book..........

Crosby, Stills & Cash
    Carlos' Bandana
    John Folk or three
    Joan Ba-the
    Rob Civilian
    The 'Horrible' Loo
    Banned Seat
    The Land
    Bra? Na Na
    Great Full Thread

Frozensoda and footlooseman like this.
  5. rjp

rjp Senior Member

wow!

so you won't be there i assume :)

SandAndGlass likes this.
  6. Olompali

Olompali Forum Resident

Book Phish and Dave Matthews Band and 50,000 tix will be sold.

Fullbug and footlooseman like this.
  7. bamaaudio

bamaaudio Forum Resident

Pretty much. Those plus Dead & Company would have massive turnout. But I'd imagine plenty of marquee names would love to join in as a bucket list type of experience of both being at and playing at Woodstock. Daft Punk would also be great to see and I think an electronic artist stage would be good variety.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2018
  8. DEAN OF ROCK

DEAN OF ROCK Forum Resident

Fullbug likes this.
  9. elaterium

elaterium Forum Resident

It was a hell of a lot more than that and you know it. Still, I see no reason to put on a 50th anniversary concert. It was as a special cultural experience which will not be duplicated.

All Down The Line likes this.
  10. rrbbkk

rrbbkk Forum Resident

I was too young for the first Woodstock and too old for the ones since.

drapes, Fullbug and Frozensoda like this.
  11. Lighten up, cupcakes. I assure you, there will be no unrest from a mere forum post on the outskirts of the internet. If it makes you guys feel more at ease, you can give me a topic you'd rather me pray for and I will honestly be happy to accommodate. I cannot promise we will get the desired results - as I think we're putting way too much stock in my ability to pray and receive - still, anything to assuage your consternation will be my goal for the day. :)

12. SoundAdvice

1969 had 2 deaths and was an official disaster area. 1999 was neither.

13. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

I don’t wish for disaster, nor do I just have some sort of huge personal problem with the original Woodstock like many here do. But I do think it should be left alone.
    You can have a show recognizing the 1969 event, but the high expectations - in all senses of the word- will overshadow the actual event. Times are different now. There’s no unifying “movement” or desire to prove a peaceful community outside the “accepted norm”. It’ll be just another expensive modern festival, probably executed professionally and safely. So what, ya know?

14. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

Overwhelmingly positive response from the board, at least.

:sigh:

15. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

Yeah - the music meant nothing! It’s all the extant circumstances that define the 1969 event!
    :rolleyes:

16. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

nah, if anything they'll overcorrect and have two much security......times have changed, people have changed.....teens will be mre interested in getting the perfect instagram post than burning down the joint

17. Helter Skelter

Helter Skelter Forum Resident

TIL that Skrillex is still a thing.

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  18. the pope ondine

19. the pope ondine

Debbie downer

BDC, O Don Piano and MRamble like this.
  20. SoundAdvice

If 1969 happened when cell phones were around, could you imagine the complaints about no food, no water and no toilets?

John Densmore and promoter Bill Graham were brutally honest about the festival in their books.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  21. Nomadicarchivist

Nomadicarchivist Forum Resident Thread Starter

“Approached artists for the 50th anniversary concert include original Woodstock performers and other classic rock artists such as Neil Young, Graham Nash, Santana, The Who, Phish, Joan Baez, Bon Jovi, Bruce Springsteen, Elton John and the Doobie Brothers.”
    Woodstock 50th anniversary concert in works; see rumored lineup

Hep Alien and SandAndGlass like this.
  22. the pope ondine

i agree but its all about name recognition, selling t-shirts etc, always harder to start fresh....this might end up being pretty good with the right mix, I think the kids are ready for it, theyre gonna need a couple big names to bring in more headliners.

23. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

"Approached artists for the 50th anniversary concert include original Woodstock performers and other classic rock artists such as Neil Young, Graham Nash, Santana, The Who, Phish, Joan Baez, Bon Jovi, Bruce Springsteen, Elton John and the Doobie Brothers."

So, these are other artists that weren't original Woodstock performers: Neil Young, Graham Nash, Santana, The Who, Joan Baez? :rolleyes:

Hep Alien likes this.
  24. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

hope neil says no again, but he seems to like money a lot these days and will play big, stupid festivals with his band of kids.

25. Danby Delight

Danby Delight Forum Resident

Meh. If they try to recreate the original, people will be pissed, and if they make it Coachella on the Hudson, people will be pissed, and in either case, the majority of people won't care.

Multi-day music festivals are already on the downward slide. There is nothing this one could do that wouldn't be an embarrassment.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.