Woodstock Directors Cut for Blu-Ray

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by howlinrock, Aug 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BILLONEEG

BILLONEEG Senior Member

Good question & one I didn't think about. I now would like to know if there's a guide list with everything in proper order & including all the bonus performances. Thanks for the tip!

2. PNeski@aol.com

[email protected] Forum Resident

US +Japanese CD Box sets:
    http://diskunion.net/rock/ct/detail/0413RK11846

WOODSTOCK 40 (6CD BOX)
    RHINO / US / BOX SET / 0413RK11846
    DISC 1】
    1. Handsome Johnny / Richie Havens
    2. Freedom (Motherless Child) / Richie Havens
    3. Choppity Choppity / John Morris
    4. Look Out / Sweetwater
    5. Two Worlds / Sweetwater *
    6. Jennifer / Bert Sommer *
    7. And When It’s Over / Bert Sommer *
    8. Smile / Bert Sommer *
    9. There Goes Marilyn! / John Morris
    10. Hang On To A Dream / Tim Hardin *
    11. Simple Song Of Freedom / Tim Hardin *
    12. Flat Blue Acid / John Morris
    13. Raga Puriya-Dhanashri/Gat In Sawarital / Ravi Shankar *
    14. Momma Momma / Melanie *
    15. Beautiful People / Melanie
    16. Birthday Of The Sun / Melanie
    17. Coming Into Los Angeles / Arlo Guthrie *
    18. Wheel Of Fortune / Arlo Guthrie *
    19. Every Hand In The Land / Arlo Guthrie *
    20. All You Funny People / John Morris

【DISC 2】
    1. Joe Hill / Joan Baez
    2. Sweet Sir Galahad / Joan Baez
    3. Hickory Wind / Joan Baez *
    4. Drug Store Truck Drivin’ Man / Joan Baez w/Jeffrey Shurtleff
    5. Bring Scully His Asthma Pills / John Morris
    6. Insulin” & Quill Intro / John Morris
    7. They Live The Life / Quill *
    8. That’s How I Eat / Quill *
    9. I Understand Your Wife Is Having A Baby / Chip Monck
    10. Donovan’s Reef / Country Joe McDonald *
    11. The ‘Fish’ Cheer - I-Feel-Like-I'm-Fixin’-To-Die Rag / Country Joe McDonald
    12. Persuasion / Santana
    13. Soul Sacrifice / Santana
    14. How Have You Been / John B. Sebastian
    15. Rainbows All Over Your Blues / John B. Sebastian
    16. I Had A Dream / John B. Sebastian
    17. The Letter / Incredible String Band *
    18. When You Find Out Who You Are / Incredible String Band *
    19. She Is Lost / Chip Monck

【DISC 3】
    1. We’re In Pretty Good Shape / Chip Monck
    2. Going Up The Country / Canned Heat
    3. Woodstock Boogie / Canned Heat **
    4. The Brown Acid Is Not Specifically Too Good / Chip Monck
    5. Blood Of The Sun / Mountain *
    6. Theme For An Imaginary Western / Mountain *
    7. For Yasgur’s Farm / Mountain *
    8. For Those Of You Who Have Partaken Of The Green Acid / Chip Monck
    9. Green Acid Advice / Jerry Garcia & Country Joe McDonald
    10. Dark Star / Grateful Dead *
    11. Green River / Creedence Clearwater Revival
    12. Bad Moon Rising / Creedence Clearwater Revival *
    13. I Put A Spell On You / Creedence Clearwater Revival

【DISC 4】
    1. Work Me, Lord / Janis Joplin
    2. Ball And Chain / Janis Joplin
    3. Medley: Dance To The Music - Music Lover - I Want To Take You Higher / Sly & The Family Stone
    4. The Politics Of The Situation / Abbie Hoffman
    5. Amazing Journey / The Who *
    6. Pinball Wizard / The Who *
    7. Abbie Hoffman vs. Pete Townshend
    8. We’re Not Gonna Take It / The Who **
    9. The Other Side Of This Life / Jefferson Airplane *
    10. Somebody To Love / Jefferson Airplane
    11. Won’t You Try - Saturday Afternoon / Jefferson Airplane
    12. We Got A Whole Lot Of Orange / Grace Slick
    13. Volunteers / Jefferson Airplane
    14. Breakfast In Bed For 400,000 / Wavy Gravy
    15. It Just Keeps Goin' / John Morris
    16. Max Yasgur Speaks

【DISC 5】
    1. Feelin’ Alright / Joe Cocker *
    2. Let’s Go Get Stoned / Joe Cocker
    3. With A Little Help From My Friends / Joe Cocker
    4. The Rainstorm
    5. Rock & Soul Music / Country Joe & The Fish
    6. Love / Country Joe & The Fish *
    7. Not So Sweet Martha Lorraine / Country Joe & The Fish *
    8. Summer Dresses / Country Joe & The Fish *
    9. Silver and Gold / Country Joe & The Fish *
    10. Rock & Soul Music (Reprise) / Country Joe & The Fish *
    11. Leland Mississippi Blues / Johnny Winter *
    12. Mean Town Blues / Johnny Winter
    13. You’ve Made Me So Very Happy / Blood Sweat & Tears *

【DISC 6】
    1. Suite: Judy Blue Eyes / Crosby Stills & Nash
    2. Guinnevere / Crosby Stills & Nash
    3. Marrakesh Express / Crosby Stills & Nash
    4. 4 + 20 / Crosby Stills & Nash
    5. Sea Of Madness / Crosby Stills Nash & Young
    6. Wooden Ships / Crosby Stills Nash & Young
    7. No Amount Of Loving / The Butterfield Blues Band *
    8. Love March / The Butterfield Blues Band
    9. Everything’s Gonna Be Alright / The Butterfield Blues Band
    10. Get A Job / Sha Na Na *
    11. At The Hop / Sha Na Na
    12. Get A Job (Reprise) / Sha Na Na *
    13. The Star Spangled Banner / Jimi Hendrix
       Purple Haze / Jimi Hendrix
       Woodstock Improvisation / Jimi Hendrix
    14. Woodstock Farewell / Chip Monck

3. Marty Milton

Marty Milton Senior Member

I saw the director's cut of Woodstock at the Roger Ebert Film Festival here in Champaign, IL this past April. Michael Wadleigh and a member of Sha Na Na where there for a Q & A session after the movie. The guy from Sha Na Na talked about going on stage right before Jimi Hendrix near the end of the concert and their performance in the movie is much earlier. Wadleigh didn't say much about changing around the order of artists, though.

4. Blencathra

Blencathra New Member

That 6 CD set looks mouthwatering.

I just watched DVD 3 of the 4 x DVD set (UK). I'm not at all familiar with Johnny Winter but I honestly did not understand a single word he sung! :shake: Am I that old?!

5. Marty Milton

Marty Milton Senior Member

I have the same problem, as well. Closed captioning can be your friend. ;)

6. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

Yes you are, his performance was wonderful. Actually I just the performance and he was quite clear and articulate.

7. Marvin

Marvin Senior Member

I think there might be a write-up in Wikipedia but I don't know whether or not the setlist is complete (I wasn't there). The contents of the new CD set shown above may be in the correct order but obviously isn't complete.

I read a book about Woodstock and it said that both Country Joe (w/o the Fish) and John Sebastian were on very early in the festival (a lot earlier than shown in the movie) - and weren't even on the bill (as solo artists) - because some of the first groups that were scheduled to go on weren't able to get in due to the traffic and they hadn't yet started helicoptering the artists in.

I think Country Joe and the Fish were supposed to be the first act but most of the group hadn't yet arrived.

8. street legal

street legal Senior Member

Well, personally, I don't listen to Johnny Winter for the singing. The man's guitar is his voice, & a damned fine one at that. I just got the "Woodstock Edition" of Johnny Winter, & he played an incredible set at Wodstock, but then again, Johnny was rarely "off" from 1969 to about 1972 or so.

9. BRush

BRush Senior Member

I had a major fight with Michael Wadleigh over the "Intermission Card", as well as the blowing up of the "Rating Card" at the head, and the list of dead rock stars after the end credits.

I really wanted Warner Bros. to issue the original 1970 Theatrical Version this time, to give viewers the feature as it originally played. I do not think that most of the added songs measure up with those from the original film, with the exception of the longer Jimi Hendrix ending. The studio thought about doing this, but decided they would get too many complaint letters for shortening the film, plus they would have to re-license those songs if they were pulled out. I think the 1970 version plays better than the 1994 Directors Cut. It's just too long for one sitting.

10. BRush

BRush Senior Member

I decided to put the bonus performances in Chronilogical order. The only act that we were able to clear from the first day was Joan Baez, we tried to get some additional Richie, Tim Hardin, Melanie, Arlo, Ravi, but were unsuccessful.

The Feature film is sequenced out of order, although Richie Havens is first, and Jimi Hendrix is last, everything in between is out of order.

11. BRush

BRush Senior Member

Johnny Winter was the hardest performer to sync up the footage and edit. We couldn't tell what he was singing, or saying. In fact the editor had to stop working on Johnny, because he couldn't figure out how to put the footage together. Several months later, we finally sync'ed everthing up to his guitar playing. His thick Texas accent is really tough to understand. One of the cameras was having problems during "Mean Town Blues". You can see a jitter with his guitar and hair. I thought it kind of made it a little more real.

12. KimiAndRitz

KimiAndRitz Forum Resident

Were those additional bits Mr. Wadleigh's ideas? Did he want them in or was it the other way around?

They seem so out-of-place with the rest of the picture. I always loved how the original version opened with the old man--no title, no intro, just an interview and straight into Long Time Coming....I always loved that beginning. The intermission card is alright, but calling it the "inter*******mission" always seemed a little tasteless as well.

I love the DC--all the added performances and footage are fantastic. The only thing I've never cared for are all the things you mentioned. But I'll take the DC over the theatrical version anyday.

Mr. Rush: Thank you (and the everyone else involved) so much for all that unreleased footage. That bonus disc hasn't left my player for over two weeks now. Fantastic job! :edthumbs:

13. BRush

BRush Senior Member

Yup, Wadleigh wanted all of the animation bits put it. I thought they were a little crass. He still thinks they are good. Wadleigh came by WB and was blown away by what we were able to put togther, and approved my work.

Glad you like the unreleased footage. I knew there had to be some amazing performances in the vault. The only tune I'm not crazy about is Mountain's "Besides The Sea", we were trying to include CSN "Marrakesh" and "Helplessly Hoping", but they fell through at the last minute. I've loved "Woodstock" ever since the Movie came out, but have been disappointed by most of the releases that came out "Woodstock II" LP, "Lost Performances", and "Diaries" were all pretty lame. There is still a lot of great stuff, maybe 3 more hours: The Band, Sly, Janis, Richie, CSNY, Arlo, Sebastian, Hardin,,,

14. R. Cat Conrad

R. Cat Conrad Almost Famous

Well, it's a fact that pleasing everyone is a virtual impossibility, but I have to say you did a darn good job (award worthy)!

As for the Mountain tracks, I'm glad that both were included. There is a lot more CSN and CSNY footage in their prime around than Mountain (especially the rarity of footage featuring Felix Pappilardi); both of those bonus tracks are stellar! The only way it could've been better would've been for the film crews to capture one of Felix's vocals (he had one of the best voices in rock, IMO).

BTW, now that I have the British BD (the REAL Ultimate collectors edition which includes all the bonus tracks that were divided between Target and Amazon) I'm a very happy Yasger's Farm camper! :righton:

:cheers:
    Cat

15. PNeski@aol.com

"I do not think that most of the added songs measure up with those from the original film"
    This might be true with the songs for artists included in the Original, But No One
    is telling me that most of groups in the woodstock film or even "Ten Years After" are better than "Creedence " Since so many artists and Prefomances weren't in the Original
    film,I wouldn't want only that.and what real Rock fan would settle for just that.

Unlike the preformances chosen for the much shorter Monteray Pop, the original(&DC)Woodstock does
    a much better job with song and Artist selection.
    What would have been the real "Ultimate Collectors Version would be the Original
    Film with another BR(or BR's) that have all the preformances in the Original Film and Bonus tracks (Yes all those
    that are on Film!) remastered from in 1:33 (or even 1:85)

16. PNeski@aol.com

""Diaries" were all pretty lame"

Again,I can't understand your dislike of this wonderful video,I was really surpised
    seeing all these artists who weren't in the Original film,The footage might be the same
    in spots as stuff used in the Original film,But I preffer the closer to the negative,more
    colorful sources used for these programs to the faded,grainy sources used for the
    Directors Cut.
    Of Course you know this because the new Bonus Tracks on the Blue Ray even surpass
    those Diaries,
    Of course the music rights thing is hard to understand,The fact that if you cut
    the Airplane and other Directors Cut footage,you have re buy rights clears up
    how you couldn't just include hardin,havens ect from the Diaries

17. keifspoon

keifspoon Senior Member

And having Corky Laing on drums. I can see why they got rid of the another guy. He was adequate at best. Corky drove that band and took them to another level. Plus he gave them more cowbell! :D

18. BRush

BRush Senior Member

Thanks, I'm really glad you all seem to like it. It's selling so well, that WB won't send me a copy. They laid me off in January, right after I finished the new "Woodstock" DVD. I tried to put the best material together that I could, even spent a lot of time digging up the 1969 radio spots used at the head, and the crowd shots. Tried to use as much unreleased footage as possible. The Crowd shots are real, actually from the performers set.

Unfortunately there wasn't a lot of Mountain footage, we had some fragments of Felix singing "For Yasgur's Farm", but it wasn't enough to put together. There was about 7 minutes of "Dreams of Milk and Honey", but unfortunately didn't have the begining of the song, the footage picked up during Leslie's guitar solo.

19. street legal

Thanks for that bit of info, BRush. It's too bad there isn't much Mountain footage available.
    The 2 Mountain songs on the "Extras" DVD is one of my favorite segments on that disc.

Speaking of Mountain, does anyone know anything about the song "Beside The Sea"? It was never on a Mountain LP or single, & I've never seen the song as part of their live set before.
    According to the DVD credits at the end, it was written by Gail Collins, Felix Pappalardi (ok so far) .......... & Bert Sommer??? Bert Sommer was surely not a regular writing partner of Felix's. Was this maybe a quickly written song & collaboration with Sommer specifically for the Woodstock festival? Did Bert Sommer ever release this song on one of his LP's?

20. BRush

BRush Senior Member

Yes, "Besides The Sea" was a song that Leslie did in his first band, The Vagrants. Felix produced that record. I was told that you can find it on a Vagrants compilation that Rhino put out. I don't know how it was written. I think Artie Kornfeld, who managed Bert Sommers, and was a big time Record guy in NYC, probably hooked Bert up with Felix. Artie put Bert on the Woodstock line-up and most likely got Mountain added. Mountain had a good time slot, between Canned Heat and the Grateful Dead on Saturday.

21. CBC

CBC Forum Resident

http://www.thevagrants.net/Pages/media.html

22. Blencathra

Blencathra New Member

Try getting hold of a copy!

23. Blencathra

Blencathra New Member

24. street legal

Ah, ok. Thanks a lot, BRush. :thumbsup:

25. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Watched this one on Blu-ray tonight. I have to say, I wasn't terribly impressed. I realize that the source material is going to limit overall resolution, but the visual presentation wasn't anything near demo-quality. The sound was acceptable, and at times quite good.

The real beef I had was with the aspect ratio. I realize that the intention was to cycle between side-by-side images or a composite of ~2.5:1 aspect ratio, and I'm fine with that. The 4:3 (and variations) material is window-boxed in a manner that leaves black bars on all 4 sides. The more appropriate way would have been to use the full vertical height of the image and just vary the side bars as appropriate.

If you have a 32" or smaller TV, you're going to be seeing an awfully small picture most of the time :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.