Woodstock Directors Cut for Blu-Ray

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by howlinrock, Aug 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. street legal

street legal Senior Member

Same here. Thanks for the info, Olampoli. Very interesting.

2. Mike Dow

Mike Dow I kind of like the music

Olampoli, thank you for that information! This forum and the knowledge of our members continues to amaze me. Much appreciated.

That gleef is lucky he didn't drift onto the stage during The Who's set. He probably wouldn't have survived.

3. PNeski@aol.com

[email protected] Forum Resident

anyone get the new Woodstock Diary(NTSC) it was supose to have come out today

4. street legal

street legal Senior Member

I was thinking of ordering that from Amazon. It's funny, I used to be dying for that to come out in the U.S., but if you look at the tracklisting now, & considering that we have the new Woodstock DVD set, there isn't all that much of interest on there anymore, at least as far as my tastes go. Still, I may get it eventually.

5. Larry L

Larry L Senior Member

I have to get this Woodstock Diary, since the new Woodstock DVD set didn't have Drug Store Truck Driving Man. That song was up on Youtube a while back and I actually saw it after only hearing it for so many years. The funny thing about Youtube, I was reading the comments that everyone writes, and one said "Wow, that's my dad singing with Joan Baez!" You gotta love youtube.

6. csblue

csblue Forum Resident

Mine just showed up in the mail today from Amazon. Can't wait to check it out... :goodie:

7. PNeski@aol.com

just got it,glad its not 16x9 like someone posted, why they can get the rights
    to all those artists(the Band,CSN,Havens,Sommers,Hardin ect) they couldn't
    get for the warners set is beyond me

That Warners box is looking pretty lame compared with there latest Oz BR Box

8. BRush

BRush Senior Member

Sorry that you didn't like the Warner's Woodstock box. There were a lot of reasons why Warners couldn't get, or want rights, for those artist. Too numerous to get into. Warners did manage to get a few acts that Alan Douglas couldn't like the Grateful Dead and CCR. I was personally appauled by the way "Woodstock Diaries" recycled so many key songs from the "Woodstock" Feature: "Soul Sacrifice", "I'm Going Home", "Fish Cheer", ect, along with the interviews and crowd footage that was also re-used.

9. PNeski@aol.com

"Sorry that you didn't like the Warner's Woodstock box."

I am talking about the design of the box ,and those extras,the Life is nice,but
    the rest of the stuff and the box aren't as nice as the new whiz box ,which
    I think is close in price

"There were a lot of reasons why Warners couldn't get, or want rights, for those artist. Too numerous to get into. Warners did manage to get a few acts that Alan Douglas couldn't like the Grateful Dead and CCR. "

of course I am happy about finally having those clips!!

"I was personally appauled by the way "Woodstock Diaries" recycled so many key songs from the "Woodstock" Feature: "Soul Sacrifice", "I'm Going Home", "Fish Cheer", ect, along with the interviews and crowd footage that was also re-used."

well "appauled" is really too harsh! For one thing in most cases ,that footage looks
    better because its closer to the negative than that DC which was out at the time.
    and you picked the few clips that are on the DC
    What about all the stuff thats not even on the Blue Ray set??? The Band,Havens,
    Hardin,Sommers,Blackbird by CSN ,another arlo song ,Baez,Butterfield,
    Airplane doing their two hits "Someone to Love,White Rabbit these clips
    make up for stuff like repeats of "Soul Sacrifice" which is a different version from
    the one we know from the film,with the gutar solo not beeing edited and the drum
    solo beeing edited ,
    as for the "Fish cheer" ,I am not sure the WD version dosn't look better

while the new Blue Ray set was great,its clear it was missing a lot of stuff thanks
    to Music Rights ect,So this Woodstock Diary is a must have to get that footage
    No it dosn't look as good as the Extras on the new Set,but its second best

Now if they could do something with the stuff missing from from both these videos
    I have to get the rest from a Boot Leg dvd,stuff like the other Band song,BST
    the other Country Joe songs,Mr Soul ,

not to mention Brithday of the Sun,Strawberry Fields,and Going to the country
    from that Lost preformances video

wish you could have fit Alro's amazing grace footage on the new set,and whats
    with skipping "Bad Moon Rising"??rights? space???

10. chicofishhead

chicofishhead Forum Resident

Hello everybody. This is my first post to this forum. I discovered it a couple months ago and have spent a bunch of time recently reading things here, notably this thread about the recent Woodstock releases. I have learned a lot, and many questions about things I've wondered about a long time have been answered.
    In particular, I'd like to thank BRush for all of your posts detailing what performances were shot on film, and things like that. You literally got my dream job, going through all the Woodstock footage and deciding what's best, and editing releasable versions of the songs. But I can't complain. I got to make a documentary about one of my favorite bands, it has been relatively successful on DVD, and I'm starting work on one about another favorite group.
    I have always wanted a DVD release of the original theatrical version of Woodstock, not the bloated "director's cut," on DVD, and was disappointed when the 40th Anniv version had the later. But it was refreshing to read your comments that you also prefer the original version, and that the decision was made for practical reasons. It doesn't change my feelings, but at least I know the reason.
    Anyway, thanks again BRush and everybody else for sharing all of your knowledge.

11. BRush

BRush Senior Member

Thanks for the compliments Chicofish. Apparently Warners will be re-releasing the "Woodstock" DVD with all 24 outtakes next year. 6 outtakes were left off to give Amazon and Target 3 exclusive tracks: Volunteers, Spanish Castle Magic, Mama Tried, Not So Sweet Martha Loraine, Sparks, and Woodstock Boogie. It was a great project to work on, Eddie Kramer and I really worked hard on choosing the best songs, some acts were easy to clear, others were not, & it cost over a million to produce. Hopefully we'll be able to do a similar project for the 50th anniversary.
    What projects have you worked on? I'm interested in seeing your work.

12. PNeski@aol.com

"Apparently Warners will be re-releasing the "Woodstock" DVD with all 24 outtakes next year. 6 outtakes were left off to give Amazon and Target 3 exclusive tracks: Volunteers, Spanish Castle Magic, Mama Tried, Not So Sweet Martha Loraine, Sparks, and Woodstock Boogie"

Well fans who have Blue Ray don't have to wait ,just buy the UK Version which
    is region Free and has all these

My Dream is they redue the whole Original film from the Original Negative,Its Kinda
    hard looking at the picture Q of Evil Ways and compare it with "Soul Sacrifice or
    the rest of the footage from the DC" It still amazes me how good this footage
    looks at times,

Of course warners will re-release this at another time,Maybe we will get a documentary
    and Commentary

13. Mister Kite

Mister Kite Uncle Obscure

^Well that is disappointing news.:shake: So, less than a year after Warner releases a "40th Anniversary Ultimate Edition" Blu-ray set they expect folks to pony up and double-dip for the same less expensive version (with additional content) that they issued in other parts of the world to replace the over-priced (box o' junk) package we got stuck with here in the U.S.

I hate to say it, but this is why I now buy almost NO new releases...:realmad:

14. thebeatles67

thebeatles67 Forum Resident In Memoriam

FYI--the UK Blu Ray 2 disc set is now under $20 including shipping to USA from Amazon UK. No more Target vs Amazon or missing performances issues. Nice.

15. PageLesPaul

PageLesPaul To be a rock and not to roll...

16. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

So, to resurrect an old thread (again), has anyone compared the Blu-Ray and DVD versions of this?

I got a 4-DVD version of it in 2009 and have been watching parts of it again recently. There is still a very cheap Blu-Ray on Amazon UK that contains all the music I have on the DVD and I've been considering buying it. Is it worth it? Is there much difference? I know the audio is lossless...is it noticeably better? The film and audio recordings aren't particularly good (although are amazing considering the circumstances) so I'm skeptical as to the benefit of HD visuals and lossless audio.

Another question - are the bonus performances in SD or HD and is the audio Dolby Digital or lossless?

Also, has anyone else had distortion problems (I realise the irony of this question) when watching We're Not Gonna Take It and My Generation in the bonus footage? It's only on those performances - nothing by any other performer - and isn't audible through headphones but through my speakers there is a horrible break up in the front left channel that is not a part of the recording. I can't explain it...just wondered if anyone else can detect it? Yes, I know there is a "horrible break up" right through their performance but that's great...this isn't.

17. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

18. Chrys

Chrys Forum Resident

19. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

The UK. The UK one is complete, whereas the US one is missing tons.

20. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

Appreciated.

21. kees1954

kees1954 Forum Resident

22. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

I know Neil Young didn't want to be filmed, but was there any hidden cameras on him ?

Last edited: May 27, 2014
  23. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Re; CSN&Y is Big Sur out on Blu Ray ?
    The jacuzzi scene is worth the price alone. There's also S Stills limo heckling.
    Music steller of course.

Last edited: May 27, 2014
  24. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

Thanks. I might pick this up.

25. Tony Plachy

Tony Plachy Senior Member

Me too, however, it always makes me cringe that given any music and/or video event of any significance the entertainment industry will figure out a way of repackaging it at least every ten years and often every five years to get more of money out of our pockets and into theirs.

therockman likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.