Woodstock Directors Cut for Blu-Ray

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by howlinrock, Aug 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. johmbolaya

johmbolaya Active Member

Let's bring this up, why has he (NY) been so adamant about not being seen or heard when it comes to Woodstock? Every other musician who has bene there considers it an honor and not much of a burden (and I say "not much" because it seems for a few, that festival may be one of the few things they're known for)? It almost makes sense that the version of "Sea Of Madness" that is on the soundtrack is not from the festival at all. It's not as if some guitarist from another band kicked him off stage or the cameras were close enough to show his coke noise, I'm just curious as to why he has felt a need to wipe himself away from the Woodstock experience. The only thing I've read is that he was not happy with his performance.

Fortunately Woodstock didn't turn into a burden for him, since we've had over 40 years of incredible music from the man.

2. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

I wonder if Neil had a problem with Celebration at Big Sur? That one was low key enough that he may not have been aware of it. Neil has often said that stealing a pickup with Jimi Hendrix to get to the site was one of the highlights of his life.

3. Jack Son #9 Dream

Jack Son #9 Dream lofi hip hop is good

For those of you who haven't heard the Quill LP on Cotillion (1970) you don't know what you're missing. "Thumbnail Screwdriver", "The Tube Exuding" and "Yellow Butterfly" are some really great songs. "Yellow Butterfly" is a personal favorite of mine - a dark, psychedelic song performed on a flanged electric guitar. It sounds like a Pink Floyd More outtake.

That thirty seconds or so of Quill footage from Woodstock isn't enough to know what their full set sounded like.

4. Chris M

That does sound interesting. I'll have to check it out. I think I read somewhere that Quill was the lowest paid act on the bill. I want to say the entire band got something like $375 :laugh:

5. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Neil had a geniune reason to stay future minded in 1994 during his artistic resurgence. I'm much less convinced in 2009.

Is Woodstock or SUR footage supposed to be seen in the Archives?

6. Jack Son #9 Dream

Jack Son #9 Dream lofi hip hop is good

Wow, that's sad.

I never could connect the dots on Quill. I'm not sure how they ended up at Woodstock. They must have had a reputation as a live act because I don't think they had a record out before they performed at Woodstock.

7. BRush

BRush Senior Member

The Woodstock soundtrack LP and Quill were both on Cotillion Records, I'm sure there
    was an Ahmet Ertegun connection there. Warner Bros. made sure that Sweetwater was on the bill. Bill Graham made sure that Santana was on the bill. Bert Sommers was managed by Artie Kornfeld, The Quill footage is interesting, but not as compelling as the songs are being added to the new DVD. The cost to license each song and performance was quite expensive.
    I think the story with Neil Young, is that "Woodstock" was one of their first shows together. The acoustic performances of CSN are great, but the electric band hadn't gotten it's groove on yet. Believe me, we tried everything to get his approval, it's an historical performance and is actually pretty good, but Neil is a man of his word.

8. Leave it to Neil: the artistic ego knows no bounds!:sigh:

9. johmbolaya

johmbolaya Active Member

I remember reading in Bell's book that when it came time for negotiations, Warner Bros. were the ones who were willing to save the organizers by buying all of the rights to the film (North America at first), while Atlantic would be responsible for anything to do with the soundtrack. This was around the same time Ertegun was going back and forth to California to organize a union with Warner Bros. Records., and yet Quill or Sweetwater didn't make it onto the soundtrack.

10. BRush

BRush Senior Member

to be honest, neither Quill or Sweetwater were very good, especially compared to Joe Cocker, Sly, Jimi, CCR, Joan, Richie.... The "Woodstock II" soundtrack Lp was also very dissappointing, I was surprised how much great stuff was left off of that. I believe Eric Blackstead put that together. Blackstread also produced the 1st "Woodstock" soundtrack, but used a lot of the same material they used in the Movie, he even used the same edits which didn't make a lot of sense to me.

11. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

How much do you think this set will cost?

12. kevin

kevin Senior Member

The list price for the blu ray set is about $70 but with sales/etc it will be closer to $50 imho.

13. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Ultimate Collector’s Editions

UCE Blu-ray $69.99 SRP

UCE DVD $59.98 SRP

Two Disc Special Edition

DVD $24.98 SRP

14. BRush

BRush Senior Member

Target and Amazon are both going to have special packages with bonus songs. I would skip the 2-Disc special edition, that's only going to have the Directors cut.

15. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

List prices above - taken right from the press release...

16. IndyTodd

IndyTodd Senior Member

First, thank you for all the information!

Do you know if the bonus songs at Amazon and Target are going to be the same or is this going to be one of those releases where they are different? So, I think I'm understanding that all the bonus songs mentioned in this thread are only going to be available at Target and Amazon right? Or are the Target and Amazon bonus songs above and beyond those already mentioned?

Thanks again!

17. BRush

BRush Senior Member

From my understanding the bonus songs for Target and Amazon will be additional songs than the 18 that have been announced. There are 6 additional songs, Target will get 3, Amazon will get another 3. I can't tell you what the songs are yet, but there should be an official announcement soon.

18. SoundAdvice

Any reason to keep the old DVD?

19. IndyTodd

IndyTodd Senior Member

Thks...interesting...looks like it's going to be a release where I have to decide which 3 bonus songs are the most important to me. Hope it's not one where they are both things I can't live without! I guess I could always buy both and then sell the extra regular edition on Ebay.

20. IndyTodd

IndyTodd Senior Member

With all the things I've learned from this forum over the years I've learned there is pretty much always some reason to keep the old cd/dvd. Wish I knew that ten or fifteen years ago when I kept dumping things as new remasters came out!

21. SoundAdvice

One participant from this thread is working on the project. The Bluray should have everything in the movie and in tip top quality.

One does still need to keep the R2 "Woodstock Diaries" DVD. Also original vintage cut of the movie is not here - unless there is seemless branching.

22. Chris M

I don't know. The old Woodstock DVD pretty much sucked.

So all copies of that release on DVD are Region 2?

23. SoundAdvice

Don't quote me on that, I just know it wasn't ever released in North America.

24. IndyTodd

IndyTodd Senior Member

25. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

...an' what about the LD? :D

Atleast I know I'll be moving way up... :laugh: I have a feeling I'm not done watching Woodstock The Lost Performances....the other LD...?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.