Woody Allen 'Apropos of Nothing' Book (New Publisher)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Jerry Horne, Mar 23, 2020.

1. Jerry Horne

Jerry Horne Peace Be With You. Thread Starter

2. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

3. Beaneydave

Beaneydave Forum Resident

I’m so pleased it has been published.
    Looking to see if I can get it in the UK.

peace and love✌Dave

4. HaileyMcComet

HaileyMcComet Forum Resident

Good. I did not even know this book existed until it was mentioned on this site. Now that people are trying to ban it, I'm definitely buying it.

5. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

I purchased the Kindle version yesterday without issue in the U.S.

Jerry Horne and Beaneydave like this.
  6. gkella

gkella Let there be songs to fill the air

Definitely interested !!!
    Thanks

Jerry Horne likes this.
  7. altaeria

altaeria Forum Resident

If I don't get at least 600 years of sleep,
    I'm grouchy all day.

Ghostworld and Jerry Horne like this.
  8. thgord

thgord In Search of My New Euphoric Groove

I purchased the Kindle version and have been reading it quite a bit since yesterday. It's a fun read. He jumps around in timeline quite a bit to tell how various indiviudals and relationships turned out or as foreshadowing. Yes, there's much more of the self-deprecating humor and anecdotes and funny jokes that Allen is famous for, only it's his story told in his own words. For this lifelong Woody Allen fan, that makes this book such a delightfully delicious dessert.

kanakaris, RolandG, mrjinks and 8 others like this.
  9. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

10. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

Ordered.
    I've kept up with all of Woody's books so far.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2020
  11. Jerry Horne

12. Jerry Horne

Learned this book had no pre-order price guarantee so I got charged full retail. Oh well!

Arrived a few days ago.

13. RayS

I’m about a third of the way through - still in the standup era. A number of stories and experiences were clearly the fodder for future movie scripts - including a neighbor leaving a note, “I’ve gone out the window”.

shug4476, vivresavie, Simon A and 2 others like this.
  14. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

Reviews are mixed, and appear to be based on whether the reviewer thinks Allen is guilty or not. The NY Times review was scathing, but the reviewer up front has a disclaimer.

His writing was very good in Without Feathers or Side Effects. Curious what others think.

MikaelaArsenault and Ghostworld like this.
  15. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Forum Resident

My childhood favorite was "Without Feathers."

I'm pretty angry about people who now discount Woody as an artist because of accusations. All I have to do is watch "Annie Hall" or "Hannah and Her Sisters" to know that as a philosopher, comedian, and observer of humanity, he has more right to space on this planet than the other 95% of them who do little more than produce trash, feces, and serve as an endless supply of guests on the Maury Povich Show.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2020
  16. alexpop

Cause he has a old world view on life his terminology now looks a little dated to present day world day view. His descriptions on the actresses ( actors) on some of his recent films in his book are ripe for the metoo’rs to take apart.

I’m happy his book is out, he’s not getting any younger!!!!

17. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

Prolific movie maker. In my opinion his last very good movie was Midnight In Paris. Great movies for 5+decades. Who else can make that claim?

18. alexpop

Clint Eastwood is trying.

shug4476 likes this.
  19. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

It's not the same thing, not the same achievement.
    Clint doesn't have Woody's intellect nor his humanity.

somnar and mrjinks like this.
  20. RayS

I finished the book a short while ago. It takes a very large left turn when Mia Farrow is formally introduced into the narrative. Nearly all the humor disappears, and substantial chunks of the book are straight-forward responses to the accusations leveled against him. We then get brief (sometimes very brief) run-throughs of decades worth of movies, then back to response to the more recent resurfacing of accusations and the impact on his professional career. The first half of the book (a self-deprecating series of often entertaining stories for the most part) didn't prepare me for the second half. If you are looking for "Without Feathers", the second half of this book most certainly isn't that.

21. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Forum Resident

Clint doesn't write his own scripts.

22. vertigone

vertigone Forum Resident

Larry David likes it.

“Yeah, it’s pretty great, it’s a fantastic book, so funny,” David said of the filmmaker's newly released memoir Apropos of Nothing. “You feel like you’re in the room with him and yeah, it’s just a great book and it’s hard to walk away after reading that book thinking that this guy did anything wrong.”

Larry David, Master of His Quarantine

23. Man, this biznatch shows $27 for me. I'm going to sit on this awhile, looking and waiting.

I love the cover. It has that late '60s to mid '70s generic cover like I used to see in my mom's bedroom, right beside the russet colored The Prophet, by Kahlil Gibran, ya know? Those books always smelled like cigarette smoke and sunshine.

Dudley Morris and Jerry Horne like this.
  24. HaileyMcComet

HaileyMcComet Forum Resident

That's a shame. When a filmmaker writes an autobiography, I want to read about his experiences making his movies.

thgord and Ghostworld like this.