Woody Allen: Film by Film Thread

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by RayS, Aug 29, 2015.

1. Vahan

Vahan Forum Resident

Hey everyone, a question: Was footage of Robin Williams in Deconstructing Harry shown in that documentary from 2018? (Come Inside My Mind)

2. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

Apparently the dvd/blu-Ray is out in some European countries:
    Amazon.fr
    Lists audio as French & English, but only French subtitles (so dubbed in English?). Starting to appear “online” as it were, but I have yet to find English subtitles…

John Lucey and RayS like this.
  3. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower Thread Starter

quel dommage

John Lucey likes this.
  4. mrjinks

5. mrjinks

6. 64FALCON

64FALCON Forum Resident

I ordered myself an HBO Video release of RADIO DAYS yesterday. I should've bought a copy years ago but I finally did.

I think RADIO DAYS taking place in the 1940s and MY FAVORITE YEAR taking place circa 1954 with the advent of live television would make a great double-feature.

DigMyGroove, John Lucey and mrjinks like this.
  7. davebush

davebush New Test Leper

My wife and I watched Vicky Christina Barcelona last night. It was probably the 6th or 7th time we'd seen it. As often happens with his films, we both enjoyed it way more than previously. His movies just have a way of getting better after multiple viewings.

Uncle Miles, Mr Bass, thgord and 3 others like this.
  8. John Lucey

John Lucey Forum Resident

9. mrjinks

Well, the kid came through last night and we had a successful Coup. :)

I will say very little, other than: yes, it is better than his last several films (no contest, imo). As a reminder, I'll say I despised Rainy Day (my son's least favorite WA film), didn't care much for Wonder Wheel, but liked Rifkin more than most (though it had plenty of flaws). This one has beautiful cinematography and some good characters. I did have some trouble with the fairly rapid-fire dialogue, as I noted myself busy "reading" subtitles rather than watching the film at times.

On the tech side: I thought it would be a simple matter of getting the film on a thumbdrive and running through my Roku or TV. Nope. The film was in .mkv format, but it did NOT have subtitles of any kind. He had a separate file (I think it may have been an .srt file?) but we weren't able to get them both going via my standard methods. We then tried "casting" his laptop display to my tv, but the film was a bit glitchy. Finally, he wound up connecting his laptop (via HDMI) to my tv, started playing the video file (using the VLC media player), then paused it, clicked an option to "add subtitles" and ... voila, we were in business. Sadly, we weren't able to run the sound through my stereo system, so we were stuck with the audio coming from my TV. After he left, I tried the thumbdrive on my old Windows desktop computer. I clicked the .mkv file and it started playing in Media Player. I found a button to click to add subtitles and it played just fine on my PC monitor.

I'm not the most tech-savvy guy out there, but I'm also not completely inept. Those of you that use Plex or have some sort of media player that will play things on your tv via your laptop/computer would probably be well suited to have these files, if you know what I mean, and you don't want to wait for the US release in April.

NOTE: my son theorized that the English subtitles were not "official" subtitles, but rather fan-created. There were a handful of awkward phrases used, but honestly it was no worse than I typically see with regular subtitles.

Feel free to reach out with further questions.

10. RayS

Big thumbs up for "Coup De Chance" from me. I watched the film through then went back and watched the second half again because I felt it was weaker than the first part. Upon review, I think I was wrong, and the film moves along quite nicely, even in the second half. It's an intriguing story and it's cool (to me anyway) that it aligns with a philosophy that Woody has been stating for years - that luck plays a much bigger role in our lives than any of us are willing to admit. The three leads are all top notch. Well worth seeking out and watching ... and maybe the last Woody Allen film we ever get.

11. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

Looking forward to it. Eventually...

vivresavie and John Lucey like this.
  12. RayS

John Lucey, vinnie and smilin ed like this.
  13. mrjinks

This was done in December, I think. No great revelations, and some spoilers for those who haven’t seen the film yet, but otherwise good to see Woody at 88, still thinking sharply.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5ika120lP8

mike s in nyc and RayS like this.
  14. RayS

Thanks for sharing. He certainly does spoil the first half of the movie! If someone IS going step forward to offer financing for film #51, they better get cracking, the man is 88.

15. mike s in nyc

mike s in nyc Forum Resident

the other nice thing about that interview is that he says he does have an idea for the next film, and its basically a matter of getting the financing. And yeah, someone should jump in quick and do it, he is 88, as was noted! (same age as Charlie Chaplin when he died... tho Woody's parents both lived till their late 90's i think?)

mrjinks, smilin ed and RayS like this.
  16. RayS

I thought Clint Eastwood had directed his last film, but he's got one in post-production. He turns 94 in May.

17. mrjinks

Heads up: there's a 40-minute interview of Woody (by Spanish director David Trueba) that's being published on Friday, Feb 23rd. Don't know yet if it will be "free" to watch or not (hopefully!) or whether the interview will be fully in English (or have Woody translated into Spanish). ANYWAY, in this article, (funneled through an online translator) it says "He is currently trying to launch a new movie to start shooting in 4 or 5 months in Italy." It then notes that finding funding for the film is the most difficult thing... So it's far from a certainty, but it's somewhat promising.

Burnout, vivresavie, Anthrax and 3 others like this.
  18. Burnout

Burnout Deadbeat

I used Google translate for the article. A bit loose, but you get the overall article.
    Woody Allen cara a cara con David Trueba en Nueva York

19. John Lucey

20. 64FALCON

64FALCON Forum Resident

Woody Allen's father, MARTIN KONIGSBERG, died in January 2001 at age 100. His mother, NETTIE, died in January 2002. She was 95.

Woody's still a youngster at 88 compared to Mom and Dad!

unclefred likes this.
  21. Vahan

Vahan Forum Resident

His parents must have had really good genes if they lived that long.

Matt Richardson likes this.
  22. John Lucey

mrjinks likes this.
  23. Matt Richardson

Matt Richardson Forum Resident

Levi's 505's from what I hear.

Vahan likes this.
  24. John Lucey

Good news for some of you hopefully! No theaters showing it in my local area (DC metro).

Coup de Chance

RayS likes this.
  25. RayS

About a 5-hour drive for me. I'm guessing I'll pass. :)