Woody Allen: Film by Film Thread

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by RayS, Aug 29, 2015.

1. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

I was in Barcelona last year. No sign of Vicky or Cristina, alas.

2. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

Rainy Day is pretty poor. Some vaguely agreeable performances, but Woody doubling down yet again on a 50 year old lusting after a 19 year old is sadly pathetic. And the fact that these appear to be amongst the richest people in New York (and hence the world), shows how out of touch he has become. Some great one liners as usual,but if you haven't seen it, you actually have many times before in other Allen movies 4/10

3. stepeanut

I agree, and would add that the lead character especially, together with much of the dialogue, feels anachronistic. No matter what their social background, what 19-year-old New Yorker, in 2019, wears a tweed jacket, hangs out in piano bars, and makes smart wisecracks about Gigi that are then understood by one of his peers?

What 19-year-old has even heard of Gigi?

For me, the Timothée Chalamet character is a vague mashup of the usual Woody stand-in and Holden Caulfield. The film would have worked better as a late fifties/early sixties period piece, IMO.

BlueTrane, sunspot42 and adm62 like this.
  4. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

Well, I've soured quite a bit on Vicky, due to recent events. But Cristina still rates highly. :love:

stepeanut likes this.
  5. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

That is an excellent idea. The modern-day setting added nothing to the film.

sunspot42 and stepeanut like this.
  6. bostonscoots

bostonscoots Forum Resident

Honestly, I thought this was Woody's funniest movie in years. Dinner with his band in Venice? - "The band is eating like they're going to the chair." Laundry service in Milan?- "It's going to come back breaded". I wasn't expecting Wild Man Blues to be so entertaining, but looking back it plays like a classic Woody Allen movie - "Die hard New Yorker and traditional jazz musician leaves his beloved city for a tour of Europe, with his younger partner and sister along for the ride."

Not that the Soon-Yi thing wasn't still creepy, though.

smilin ed and stepeanut like this.
  7. John Lucey

John Lucey Forum Resident

I just discovered this thread and I've loved all 77 pages. I'm not sure how exactly to jump in, but I'm a longtime fan who has seen all of the movies several times each.

I did see A Rainy Day in New York via the German Blu-Ray. I agree with most of the previous comments but overall, I enjoy it more than not.

This is doubly true as I disliked Wonder Wheel as much as I've ever disliked anything that Woody has ever made. I remember leaving the theater opening night (I saw it at a small arthouse here in DC), thinking, "Man, what a sour, negative experience that was."

This was also around the time that i started buying every Blu-ray that I didn't already have.

Anyway, thanks for all of the wonderful discussion. Sorry to be late to the party by several years.

L.P., thgord, mike s in nyc and 4 others like this.
  8. stepeanut

This thread may also prove useful to you, as a collector:

Woody Allen movies on Blu-Ray

mrjinks likes this.
  9. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Still to buy ☔️ it .
    But, yeah pity about Wonder Wheel started good.. but the script should have been expanded to let the mafia guys have a bit more screen time.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2020
    John Lucey likes this.
  10. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Hate this ageist thing anyway. It’s up to the individuals themselves.

11. John Lucey

stepeanut likes this.
  12. Jerry Horne

Jerry Horne WYWH (1975-2025)

13. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

I'll stick up for Wonder Wheel because I thought it was an interesting, emotionally coherent story that was elegantly directed, well acted and made splendid use of the locations.

I prefer Whit Stillmans "Barcelona" to VCB. It's much more Barcelony :agree:

14. John Lucey

Wow, I haven't seen "Barcelona" in years...and I still wish that the character had told us the secret to a good shave.

I will definitely re-watch Wonder Wheel. I started a full Woody re-watch a few years back and started with the ones that I had somehow missed over the years...

What's Up, Tiger Lily: silly, a few laughs but I was bored before it ended.

Sweet and Lowdown: I couldn't believe that I missed this in the theater...until I read this thread and saw that Sony had botched the release. It's a great little movie, amusing most of the way through, but I find it's ending almost devastatingly moving.

Celebrity: um, it looks great and I'm not sure if Winona Ryder has ever looked more beautiful. Kenneth Branagh did not bother me as much as I'd expected after the years of hearing how awful he is. There are bits that I enjoyed, though they all escape me at the moment.

Cassandra's Dream: You know, I thought this was just okay/painless. I have no memory of it at all.

After those, I started back at Take the Money and Run and I've been re-watching in order using mostly Blu-rays. Next up is Match Point, which my wife wants to watch, strangely enough. She's a Woody neophyte but {POTENTIAL SPOILER} she loves murder, so...

I also picked up Eric Lax's On Being Funny used online. It's from 1975 and it's a really interesting snapshot.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2020
    mrjinks likes this.
  15. modrevolve

modrevolve Forum Resident

John Lucey and Jerry Horne like this.
  16. stepeanut

Count me as a fan, also, for the same reasons. Not sure why so many, here and elsewhere, are so down on this film.

Were they expecting a comedy and felt cheated when they got something altogether darker in tone and execution?

vivresavie likes this.
  17. vertigone

vertigone Forum Resident

I liked Wonder Wheel, too.

vivresavie, John Lucey and stepeanut like this.
  18. stepeanut

In true Woody and Diane style, the girlfriend and I have just had to catch and rehabilitate a spider the size of a Buick. It is gone 11pm here. I’m taking the fifth on who played which role in this little scene.

mrjinks, L.P. and John Lucey like this.
  19. John Lucey

So, I will definitely re-watch with an open mind. I wasn't expecting a comedy and I did enjoy the performances, and some of the plot twists.

Thanks for the feedback and it's rather nice to be among other fans/people who speak Woody.

alexpop, mrjinks, L.P. and 2 others like this.
  20. vertigone

vertigone Forum Resident

I'll confess, I'm fairly forgiving of his movies. I don't think WW is anywhere near great, but I enjoyed it. Similar to how I feel about A Rainy Day in New York.

John Lucey likes this.
  21. stepeanut

I like it a good deal more than Rainy Day, which I feel is pretty meh overall. Wonder Wheel has more meat to it; more gravitas; certainly a better script and acting.

Like you, I tend to be fairly forgiving of his occasional tics and flaws.

John Lucey likes this.
  22. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower Thread Starter

The moment in "Wonderwheel" when the stepmom makes the incredibly selfish decision she makes was very worthy cinema, IMO. I wasn't enamored with the casting of the two male leads.

John Lucey likes this.
  23. John Lucey

I agree and I particularly feel this way about Crisis in Six Scenes. I was so overjoyed to see him in front of the camera again that I knowingly overlooked a lot of that project's flaws.

mrjinks, vivresavie and stepeanut like this.
  24. stepeanut

Not that it invalidates your opinion on Wonder Wheel one iota, but I hate the casting choice of Timothée Chalamet in Rainy Day. I don’t get what people see in that kid at all. He is one of the worst breakthrough actors I’ve seen in a good number of years.

mrjinks likes this.
  25. John Lucey

I agree about Chalamet. I'd heard how good he was in Rainy Day, and I kept waiting for his performance to change or kick in or whatever. I did enjoy Selena Gomez quite a bit.

stepeanut likes this.