Woody Allen: Film by Film Thread

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by RayS, Aug 29, 2015.

1. John Lucey

John Lucey Forum Resident

These rankings are great, both these and Alexpop's. I like some of these more than you two and some of them less, but that is part of the fan of being a fan and being in a fan community.

alexpop likes this.
  2. John Lucey

My Top Eleven (in release order for some reason):
    Love and Death
    Annie Hall
    Manhattan
    Broadway Danny Rose
    The Purple Rose of Cairo
    Hannah and Her Sisters
    Radio Days
    Crimes and Misdemeanors
    Husbands and Wives
    Sweet and Lowdown
    Midnight in Paris

Bubbling Under:
    Bananas
    Sleeper
    Zelig
    Bullets Over Broadway
    Deconstructing Harry
    Match Point
    Blue Jasmine

3. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Top eleven : all perfect “10”?
    His entire oeuvre is brillant.
    But.. certain films resonate more.
    ( all subjective).

4. alexpop

San Sabastian
    A lot of protesters there..with placards “ keep our city free from tourisim “.

5. alexpop

Next WA movie.
    With his tourism theme, why not Russia?

6. John Lucey

Interesting stance, as they are a resort town, tourism is their main industry, and their economy has apparently been hit hard by the coronavirus crisis. Oh well...

7. alexpop

Think it’s more to do with Covid 19.. they don’t want film crews there .. or anybody bringing in the virus from another country.. which is ironic as Spain is now the worst European country for Covid fatality.

8. John Lucey

Understood. I live in the US and personally, I try to stay home as much as possible. And living in the DC area, where we usually have so many tourists year round but particularly over the summers, there are so many leisure-based businesses that are really hurting. What a mess...

I've been trying to find video of Woody introducing the movie at the premiere (via Zoom or whatever). No luck so far.

9. John Lucey

Okay, I know that this is me just moaning a bit, but even though everything that I've read about Rifkin's Festival has been positive (even if some of it begrudgingly so), I'm a little sick of the "he keeps making the exact same movie" theme. If you look at his last six projects or so, it seems even more inaccurate:
    A Rainy Day in New York: the adventures of a callow young douche
    Wonder Wheel: trying to do 30s style tragedy about an aging woman
    Crisis in Six Scenes: farce about radicalism in the 60s
    Cafe Society: okay, so, kind of a callow young douche again, but a different plot from Rainy Day
    Irrational Man: existential drama/mystery/thriller
    Magic in the Moonlight: period romantic comedy

mrjinks and alexpop like this.
  10. alexpop

I prefer his scripts read with older actors. I think twenty somethings have their own philosophical jargon.

mrjinks and John Lucey like this.
  11. Max Florian

Max Florian Forum Resident

You Will Meet a Tall Dark Stranger - Wikipedia

My pick for best 21C Allen film, probably along with Match Point. All the other ones rank way lower for me.
    I’m quite partial to Whatever Works, so maybe I’d put that one in 3rd place.
    But Tall Dark Stranger and Match Point are the only latter-day ones I’d put in the same company as his 1980s filmography.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2020
    John Lucey and alexpop like this.
  12. I'm a late viewer of Blue Jasmine. I really like it and think it is one of my favorites this century.

13. alexpop

Match Point.

Reminded me of a Hitchcock film with Ewen Bremner in it playing the policeman.

14. John Lucey

So, Tall Dark Stranger definitely seems to have its fans...I may have to re-watch it soon!

Personally, I'd include Midnight in Paris in the same company as his earlier classics...

mrjinks and Max Florian like this.
  15. John Lucey

Okay, if you could do a re-watch RIGHT NOW of any Woody Allen movie, which would you choose? And why, if you feel like making your case...

Last edited: Sep 27, 2020
  16. palisantrancho

palisantrancho Forum Resident

I would have rated Tall Dark Stranger as one of his worst, but I haven't seen it since it was released. I need to try and watch it again.

Some of these I have seen very recently and some it's been a while, but these are the movies I rated on IMDB after my latest viewing. Opinions change over the years, and I have seen all the movies, but hard to rate a movie if I haven't seen it in a few years. A good example is Midnight In Paris which I just watched a few weeks ago again. It didn't hold up for me as much as the first time. Is it really worse than Cafe Society? Probably not, as that opinion could change on my next viewing. Most of the latest ones I watched in the theater and I may be being a little generous. Hard to say without watching them again. I did a ranking of all his movies a few years ago, but I would already change several things about it. It's such a huge list to rank all of them! As of today, It looks like my favorites in the last 20 years are Small Time Crooks, Blue Jasmine and Wonder Wheel.

Take The Money and Run- 10/10
    Bananas-10/10
    Play It again Sam- 10/10
    Everything You Always Wanted To Know About Sex 10/10
    Sleeper- 10/10
    Love and Death 10/10
    Annie Hall 10/10
    Midsummer Night's Sex Comedy 8/10
    Broadway Danny Rose 10/10
    Purple Rose of Cairo 9/10
    Hannah and Her Sisters 7/10
    Radio Days 9/10
    Crimes and Misdemeanors- 9/10
    Shadows and Fog 8/10
    Everyone Says I Love You- 8/10
    Sweet and Lowdown- 9/10
    Small Time Crooks- 8/10
    Match Point- 7/10
    Scoop- 6/10
    Casandras Dream- 7/10
    Midnight In Paris- 6/10
    Blue Jasmine- 8/10
    Irrational Man- 7/10
    Cafe Society- 7/10
    Wonder Wheel- 8/10

alexpop and John Lucey like this.
  17. John Lucey

So, this is great...I really should watch Wonder Wheel again. I didn't care for it when I saw it in the theater but I do have the Blu-ray so I will be checking it out again.

But lists like these are always interesting and always valid. I'm interested in your relatively low ranking for Hannah and Her Sisters. Sometimes a film just doesn't hit everyone the same way.

18. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

My top end would be...

Annie Hall 10
    Manhattan 10
    Crimes and Misdemeanors 10
    Hannah and her Sisters 10
    The Purple Rose of Cairo 10
    Radio Days 10
    Manhattan Murder Mystery 10
    Deconstructing Harry 10
    Bullets Over Broadway 10
    Take the Money and Run 10

Husbands and Wives 9
    Zelig 9
    Sleeper 9
    Stardust Memories 9
    Shadows and Fog 9
    Everyone Says I Love You 9
    Midnight in Paris 9
    Sweet and Lowdown 9

I'd need time to think about the rest (and I've probably missed some already...)

Last edited: Sep 29, 2020
    John Lucey likes this.
  19. palisantrancho

I was also surprised to see I rated that only a 7/10. I may have to watch again and see why.

I love the colors and the lighting in Wonder Wheel. Really fantastic cinematography on that movie. I also think Kate Winslet was great in it.

John Lucey likes this.
  20. alexpop

Helen Bonham Carter‘s the latest to say something about Woody. “ he’s not a good kisser “ apparently on set / filming .. he doesn’t like wet kissing, prefers the old forties noir.. just lips touching kissing scenes. So hardly a condemnation for a change.

John Lucey likes this.
  21. John Lucey

And what is your least favorite Woody Allen movie?

22. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

Anything Else! Woody's small part is quite good, but it can't make up for the rest of that disaster.

My top ten (in no order)
    Play it Again, Sam (I don't care that he didn't direct it!)
    Annie Hall
    Manhattan
    Stardust Memories
    Purple Rose of Cairo
    Hannah & Her Sisters
    Crimes & Misdemeanors (#1)
    Husbands & Wives
    Deconstructing Harry
    Midnight in Paris​

Near misses:
    Broadway Danny Rose
    Sweet & Lowdown
    Match Point
    Blue Jasmine (points deducted for being too much of a C&M re-write)​

23. palisantrancho

Everyone always says this, but I remember liking it. I would love to see it again and see what I think. I remember Woody and Stockard Channing being amusing and working well together. Jason Biggs is probably unbearable, but I like Christina Ricci. I haven't seen it in probably 15 years so I would be curious.

I remember disliking both films that surround it (Hollywood ending and Melinda and Melinda) and would probably say those are some of his worst, but I also have not seen them in 15 years. I need to reevaluate all of these movies.

Of his more recent films I really didn't like Magic in the Moonlight.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2020
    John Lucey likes this.
  24. John Lucey

This is great...and yeah, Anything Else may be at the bottom of the list for me too. I'm going to re-watch Whatever Works pretty soon, and I remember not digging that one the first time around.

I do think that our Forum Founder had strong feelings about Alice being the stinker of all stinkers...it might not even be in the bottom five for me.

I'm currently really in the mood to watch Sweet and Lowdown again. Though if I'm sticking to my plan of a chronological order re-watch, it's time for Scoop!

mrjinks and palisantrancho like this.
  25. John Lucey

I have found, in re-watching them, something to appreciate in all of them. I did like Anything Else more the second time around, I really enjoyed Woody's performance and thought that it looked gorgeous.

Jade Scorpion was a little better than I remembered and Hollywood Ending a little worse.

I still really enjoyed Match Point the second time around, but was surprised that I'd forgotten so much of the plot twists and the timing of events in the story.

palisantrancho and mrjinks like this.