Dismiss Notice
We are making some updates and reconfigurations to our server. Apologies for any downtime or slow forum loading now or within the next week or so. Thanks!

Woody Allen: Film by Film Thread

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by RayS, Aug 29, 2015.

1. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

I probably couldn’t disagree more about Rainy Day, but am glad you found the thread!
    :wave:
    I hope you and others will throw out thoughts on other films of his from time to time to keep tour discussion going. :)

Last edited: Jan 13, 2021
  2. Alert

Alert Forum Resident

I have no problem discussing WA films but I don't want to talk about films that have already been discussed or go out of order. Also, there's not a chance I'm going to go back and read the previous 86 pages of discussion -- although, I've no doubt it's educated, informed and fascinating.

I appreciate Woody's serious films as much as his comedy. I was stunned and impressed by the intense drama of Interiors when it came out. But I also feel that some of his movies are klunkers (Shadows and Fog, A Midsummer Night's Sex Comedy)

Here are some of my favorites lines (just off the top of my head):
    Crimes and Misdemeanors: His joke about his "one and only love letter" is one of my favorites: "I plagiarized most of it from Joyce, you were probably wondering about all the references to Dublin."
    Hannah and Her Sisters: Favorite line in this: His Dad says "Why were there Nazis? How would I know? I don't even know how the can opener works!"
    I forget which film this was from but I just saw it recently: "My mother was too busy putting the boiled chicken in the deflavorizing machine."

Many, many wonderful moments from his films for me to recount -- too numerous to name here.

Also, the opening sequence from Manhattan is one the all-time best.

rockerreds, Lance LaSalle and mrjinks like this.