Woody Allen: Film by Film Thread

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by RayS, Aug 29, 2015.

1. DVEric

DVEric Satirical Intellectual

Sophisticated counter-argument. I guess that settles it.

:shake:

2. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

Your point is valid, it isn’t a counter-argument. However, you asserted
    “The last great film WA made is Sweet & Lowdown. Match Point appeared to signal a rebirth, but as someone mentioned above, WA has been largely re-writing the same story since Manhattan.”​
    And you didn’t back that up with any analysis of his 21st Century output. Shouldn’t you also have to back up that position?

thgord likes this.
  3. DVEric

DVEric Satirical Intellectual

Yes, and I’d be happy to do so. But the previous reply was so dumb, I wasn’t going to elaborate on my original point.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2022
  4. albert_m

albert_m Forum Resident

Given his age and the fact that he stated this, I think that this is it.

The only way I see him doing another movie is if he wants to do one last New York movie, but given the limitations in terms of casting (and maybe funding) that's probably another reason why this is it.

mike s in nyc likes this.
  5. mike s in nyc

mike s in nyc Forum Resident

I guess we'll see if it turns out to be true, but yeah, given his age, and everything else, this may well be the last film he directs. I'm not completely surprised, tho a little disappointed, perhaps- always want 'one more great one' to come, and if its the last one its the end of some sort of era, for sure. I think the first film of his I saw right when it came out was 'love and death' back in 1975, since then, I've seen most of his films (till recently) within the first week or two of release (which was not hard living here in NYC, at least till a few years ago- starting with 'rainy day in ny' , i saw them only later on.)

If it is his last one, interesting that its not a comedy, or at least a 'mix of comedy/tragedy' a la 'hannah' or 'crimes and misdemeanors' (tho of course we don't really know what it'll be like other then his own description, before filming starts). Tho regardless of genre, I do hope it's better then 'rivkin' which had its moments but ultimately, I think, didn't really 'work'.

Also, interesting that it's set in Paris. If I remember correctly, there's a scene from the first film he was in, Whats new pussycat' where he is walking on the banks of the Seine in Paris, and then another scene in 'everyone says I love you' seemingly filmed from the same spot. Would be a nice touch if he had a cameo in this newest film, filmed again at that same spot in the banks of the Seine. (and my math might be off, but that would be 'every 30 years' or so, right?)

John Lucey and mrjinks like this.
  6. John Lucey

John Lucey Forum Resident

7. thgord

thgord In Search of My Next Euphoric Groove

sunspot42, RayS and John Lucey like this.
  8. John Lucey

9. John Lucey

10. John Lucey

Per an interview with Storaro, he says that he wouldn’t compare the new film to Match Point and that there is more of a mix of drama and comedy. So hopefully a French Crimes and Misdemeanors!

vivresavie and RayS like this.
  11. mrjinks

Let's not get our hopes up TOO much now, John!

John Lucey and smilin ed like this.
  12. John Lucey

Honestly, I’m thrilled that we’re getting another Woody film. I’ll be tickled if it’s half as good as Crimes and Misdemeanors.

vivresavie and mike s in nyc like this.
  13. John Lucey

Happy man today: my new Blu-Ray of Crimes and Misdemeanors arrived today AND the missus seems interested in watching it!

vivresavie, mike s in nyc and RayS like this.
  14. mrjinks

Not exactly film news, but this is a lengthy piece on Woody, published recently by one of his biographers. I haven’t read it all (yet), but it seems a good reminder of his talents on the cusp of his 87th birthday.
    Startling Intimations of Greatness

15. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower Thread Starter

It's a very well written piece and the author has very good taste in WA films, putting C+D at the top where it belongs. :)

mike s in nyc and mrjinks like this.
  16. mike s in nyc

mike s in nyc Forum Resident

I think you mean "C & M" (ie "crimes and misdemeanors") right?

it is a good article... and the new film probably won't be a masterpiece, but....ya never know! would be really nice if it was.

and just off the top of my head, I'll opine that the last 'really great' WA film for me was 'midnight in paris' , the last 'great' one (not as great as midnight, but...) was blue jasmine, and last 'good' was rainy day in ny'.... (which in retrospect, while i didnt love it when i first saw it, i think might be my fave since blue jasmine?)

RayS likes this.
  17. RayS

Yeah, that's what I get for using film initials! I left the "Mis" off. :)

I like "Midnight in Paris" but don't rate it as high as much of the rest of the world seems to. I'd rate "Cassandra's Dream" (which I wouldn't call "great") ahead of it (a minority opinion for sure), and "Blue Jasmine" as well. "Blue Jasmine"'s only crime is bring derivative, relying too much on the kindness of strangers.

18. mr_spenalzo

mr_spenalzo Forum Resident

I rewatched all films not that long ago (except Tiger Lily which I don’t count) and ranking as I went along. This is my full list:

[​IMG]

19. RayS

Vicky Cristina Barcelona at 45???

[​IMG]

20. gabacabriel

gabacabriel Forum Resident

If Shadows and Fog is truly his 21st best movie, then the next thirty or so must REALLY be stinkers.

21. Beaneydave

Beaneydave Forum Resident

I really don’t see the point of posting criticisms of a persons personal choice. That’s what it is their choice.

post your own if you want

peace and love✌Dave

conjotter and blutiga like this.
  22. RayS

Conversely, I don't see the point of posting a bunch of lists that no one else comments on.

Peace and love right back at ya. :)

23. mrjinks

I'm with Ray on this one. I think most people expect a little pushback when their own opinion differs greatly from the masses. For example, as a Beatle fanatic, I don't share the love for Paul McCartney's Ram album. But I recognize that my opinion is an "outlier" amongst his fans.

I enjoy @mr_spenalzo's list above. I like seeing the under-appreciated Another Woman get some love and the gawdawful Rainy Day lurk in 2nd to last place (exactly where I'd put it). But when I see Anything Else (which would be the bottom rung for me) rate higher than The Purple Rose of Cairo, I want to question certain rankings, too. It's all in good fun.

I don't think I have the time/energy to rank all of them. Coming up with my "top ten" is challenging enough! :)

Paulwalrus, maui jim and RayS like this.
  24. mrjinks

Btw, I don't think it's particularly "good" but why is Woody's 90's version of "Don't Drink The Water" never included as a "film" he's made? He wrote it, starred in it, and directed it, but it's almost always omitted from the lists of his films. Is it just because it didn't play the cinemas?

Still seems like a legit "film" in my book (?).

25. mr_spenalzo

mr_spenalzo Forum Resident

All in good fun indeed! I’m sure we can all disagree on some films, it’s all ok.

I can appreciate the acting in Vicky Cristina (especially Cruz’s) while I don’t think the story’s that interesting… but the main reason for not enjoying it is quite similar to September: it’s not that I cannot relate to the characters, but there’s not one that I don’t want to physically attack myself.

On the other hand, I enjoy Shadows & Fog (love the music, it’s got some genuinely funny one-liners, and even some suspense) and Anything Else (Dobel is a fun character and the Ricci character really reminds me of someone I knew around the time of that film 2003, when I was the same age and mess, and I cannot help but smile now at the resemblance)