Woody Allen: Film by Film Thread

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by RayS, Aug 29, 2015.

1. maui jim

maui jim Forum Resident

Doyouknow where or how I can find it?

2. Claude

Claude Senior Member

And "Scoop" at #18 is way too high on that list.

Actually, going through that list reminded me how much I love his movies. At least 30 of them.

RayS likes this.
  3. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

It was a legit dvd years ago. I see a new (?) one on amazon for $24.75 right now (used are a bit cheaper). I actually thought it would be much pricier, as I think it's pretty well "issued and forgotten." Maybe try ebay, too?

maui jim likes this.
  4. maui jim

maui jim Forum Resident

Mucho gracias

mrjinks likes this.
  5. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

I just saw Cafe Society for the first time. I thought it was great and I actually thought it would be about the the actual jazz club. I was not disappointed at all, there was much good feeling in the movie and i loved the cinemaphotography.

L.P., vivresavie and mrjinks like this.
  6. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

Despite the eye candy, it's my least liked Allen film (and I've watched them all save 2 or 3). I didn't enjoy it at all and even the music annoyed me. :laugh:

MRamble and mr_spenalzo like this.
  7. mike s in nyc

mike s in nyc Forum Resident

There's plenty I'd disagree with on that list, (broadway danny rose and love and death should be much higher, for one).. but I got to admire the way you put it in white lettering using that 'woody allen typeface' he's so identified with (I dont know the actual name, but someone here probably does) and made it like a credit on one of his films! and speaking of 'whats in and left out, is 'crisis in six scenes' in there? its movie-length, right? and also there's the aforementioned 'dont drink the water', and also , perhaps, two others ('the harvey wallbanger story', done for tv, and also his third of that film from the late 80's where each director did a third (I'm blanking on the title.. new york stories, maybe?)

8. mrjinks

Yeah, I liked the infamous "credit" look for that list, too. :righton: The font is apparently "Windsor Light" if google is to be believed.

As to your other suggestions, "The Harvey Wallinger Story" (not Wallbanger) is a short film, only 26 minutes long, so I can see that one being omitted. Woody's bit in "New York Stories" was "Oedipus Wrecks." Scorcese and Coppola did the other segments. I can also see "Crisis" being omitted because, technically, it's a "series" (though your point that it's film-length is spot-on).

I know one of my top ten would be "Play it Again, Sam." Even though Woody didn't direct, he wrote/starred and likely had a big say in the final cut. I prefer it to several other of his "early, funny" films.

9. Alien Reg

Alien Reg Forum Resident

Only C's and D's? No A's?! ;)

10. thgord

thgord In Search of My Next Euphoric Groove

Yeah, but Manhattan Murder Mystery above Manhattan? :shake:

11. Beaneydave

Beaneydave Forum Resident

It’s not my list and that was my point. Do your own list but it’s pointless tell someone their list is wrong. But I guess that’s what fuels this forum.

peace and love✌Dave

mr_spenalzo likes this.
  12. mrjinks

Being a nonviolent soul myself, I can't claim to want to attack any of the September and/or Vicky Christina characters myself. However, if Penelope or Scarlett want to physically attack me, please forward them my contact info.

Uncle Miles, 64FALCON and Beaneydave like this.
  13. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

I could see someone finding Manhattan pretentious and somewhat disturbing in hindsight. Whereas MMM is something of an adorable romp.

I ended up liking MMM a great deal more than I expected to.

14. MRamble

MRamble Forum Resident

I got into a Woody Allen kick last week and caught some I had never seen before. My top five now might be

Husbands and Wives
    Zelig
    Radio Days
    Blue Jasmine
    Hannah and Her Sisters

Love the graphic too by the way!

Anthrax and mr_spenalzo like this.
  15. NightGoatToCairo

NightGoatToCairo Forum Resident

Blue Jasmine might just be top 3 Woody for me. I will miss his work when he's gone.

Paulwalrus likes this.
  16. palisantrancho

palisantrancho Forum Resident

This list is “Bananas”! I like seeing these lists that are radically different from mine. Many of my favorites you have ranked in the late 20s and early 30s. I know rankings can change over time with a recent viewing. I'll try, even though I haven't seen a few of these in years. This list frequently changes, but I found an email I wrote 7 years ago with my Woody rankings on it, and it's surprisingly very close to this list I just made. I also think Play It Again Sam should be included, even if he didn’t direct it.

1. Bananas
    2. Annie Hall
    3. Play it Again Sam
    4. Love and Death
    5. Sleeper
    6. Broadway Danny Rose
    7. Take the Money and Run
    8. Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Sex
    9. Crimes and Misdemeanors
    10. The Purple Rose of Cairo
    11. Midsummer Night's Sex Comedy
    12. Sweet and Lowdown
    13. Stardust Memories
    14. Radio Days
    15. Shadows and Fog
    16. Bullets Over Broadway
    17. Everyone Says I Love You
    18. Hannah and Her Sisters
    19. Blue Jasmine
    20. Small Time Crooks
    21. Manhattan
    22. Zelig
    23. Husbands and Wives
    24. Wonder Wheel
    25. Mighty Aphrodite
    26. Deconstructing Harry
    27. Anything Else
    28. Match Point
    29. Cassandra's Dream
    30. Another Woman
    31. Manhattan Murder Mystery
    32. Whatever Works
    33. Irrational Man
    34. Cafe Society
    35. September
    36. Midnight in Paris
    37. Curse of the Jade Scorpion
    38. Scoop
    39. Celebrity
    40. Alice
    41. Vicky Christina Barcelona
    42. Interiors
    43. To Rome With Love
    44. Melinda and Melinda
    45. Magic in the Moonlight
    46. You Will Meet a Tall Dark Stranger
    47. Hollywood Ending
    48. Rifkin's Festival
    49. A Rainy Day In New York

Last edited: Nov 30, 2022
  17. thgord

thgord In Search of My Next Euphoric Groove

I like that you placed PIA,S so highly at #3. Writing and playing the lead make Allen's contributions and involvement very substantial.

18. 64FALCON

64FALCON Forum Resident

Should THE FRONT (1976) be included as on this thread? I know Woody didn't direct it, but he did star in it so I was wondering? Cheers.

19. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

Interesting list. Think you need to swap The Purple Rose of Cairo with Midnight in Paris though

20. palisantrancho

I love Shadows and Fog and think it's one of his most underrated. It helps if you are a fan of German Expressionist films and certain Bergman films like Sawdust and Tinsel.

21. palisantrancho

Why are there no Woody Allen movies on the Criterion Collection or Channel?

905 likes this.
  22. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

If so, I'd include Fading Gigolo - it's better than some of his 'later' work

mike s in nyc likes this.
  23. L.P.

L.P. Forum Resident

Who else thinks that his films weren't the same in the new millenium? I always had the feeling he was on the decline after or starting with Sweet and Lowdown, with few exceptions like Matchpoint and Blue Jasmine. But I also always wondered if that's just me growing apart from him somehow.

palisantrancho likes this.
  24. mrjinks

I don’t think it’s even debatable that his 21st Century work is uneven. Most of his duds are from the last 20 years. But there are some notable highlights, thankfully!

mike s in nyc and RayS like this.
  25. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

I can't be arsed with listing the lot (and - shock - people my disagree!) but here's my top fifteen:

1. Annie Hall
    2. Manhattan
    3. Hannah and her Sisters
    4. Purple Rose of Cairo
    5. Radio Days
    6. Crimes and Misdemeanors
    7. Bullets Over Broadway
    8. Manhattan Murder Mystery
    9. Deconstructing Harry
    10. The Front
    11. Take the Money and Run
    12. Love and Death
    13. Broadway Danny Rose
    14. Shadows and Fog
    15. Zelig

For me, Deconstructing Harry is the watershed; after that the gems are fewer and further between. There's very little in his whole career I really don't like - though Magic in the Moonlight, Alice, Irrational Man, and Celebrity come close, but a lot of the later films seem like ideas that are sketched out but not fully developed, while only occasionally echoing the glory and wit of yesteryear. Some are so slight that they might have been better as 40 minute works combined into an anthology film (say, Jade Scorpion, Sweet and Lowdown, Small Time Crooks). However... I quite enjoyed Rifkin's Festival so bring on the bext one...