Woody Allen movies on Blu-Ray

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by modrevolve, Dec 26, 2013.

1. John Lucey

John Lucey Forum Resident

I got the missus to watch Match Point with me tonight. First off, the Blu-Ray (Panaroma, looks like it's from Hong Kong) has a beautiful picture. Second, I'd forgotten so much of it (hadn't seen it since 2005 or so in a theater) and third, she loved it. She wants to watch a more "typical Woody Allen movie next." I'm not sure which one to choose...

stepeanut likes this.
  2. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

I wouldn’t say Match Point is typical of his work, but, if she enjoyed that one, maybe try her on Crimes and Misdemeanors.

John Lucey likes this.
  3. John Lucey

Thanks, that is a great recommendation! She's curious about Annie Hall , so we may watch that next...

stepeanut likes this.
  4. John Lucey

Last edited: Sep 10, 2020
    stepeanut likes this.
  5. modrevolve

modrevolve Forum Resident Thread Starter

alexpop likes this.
  6. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

Annie is certainly a classic, perhaps THE classic for most people. I’d think Hannah would be an excellent suggestion, since it has Woody in a smaller role and mixes comedy with dramatic elements. Crimes is my favorite, and my complaint about Match Point is that it copied TOO much from Crimes in terms of plot, so I’d wait on that. Purple Rose, Midnight in Paris might be good suggestions.

John Lucey and stepeanut like this.
  7. John Lucey

Thank you so much for these suggestions! She and I don't get around to watching movies very often. I tried to come up with my Top 10 Woody Allen movies to try and winnow out the next viewing choice. I could only narrow it down to the Top 14 and then had to get back to work. :agree:

mrjinks likes this.
  8. mrjinks

Annie works better, I think, when you see it after seeing some of the earlier films. You appreciate it more for the story it tells (rather than just the jokes), and especially the WAY it’s told, with the unconventional use of split-screen, animation, subtitles, etc.

John Lucey likes this.
  9. John Lucey

I just think that I just achieved "Full Available Blu-Ray" status with today's delivery of the Spanish version of Cassandra's Dream.

Well, I'm waiting until November to buy the North American version of A Rainy Day in New York.

I'm missing one film that is only available on dvd!

vivresavie and stepeanut like this.
  10. mrjinks

Curious - which one?

John Lucey likes this.
  11. John Lucey

Deconstructing Harry ...I completely spaced on the fact that I don't have it. I found it online from a retailer in Japan, but due to COVID19, they aren't shipping to North America at the moment.

12. mrjinks

One of my absolute favorites. :righton:
    I loaned Rainy Day to my son a few days ago, and he sent me a humorous text with his WA films (partially) ranked. He had #1-#5 and #46-50. And Rainy Day at #50. I’d warned him I thought it was awful and noted “I liked it more than you, and I hated it!” ;)

Was proud to see Harry in his top five (probably slightly higher than I’d rank it).

stepeanut and John Lucey like this.
  13. John Lucey

I love Deconstructing Harry...I remember seeing it in the theater with three friends, two of us loved it and two HATED it...and all of us are Woody fans.

I don't know if I put A Rainy Day in New York at the absolute bottom. I remember really not liking Whatever Works but I will re-watch them both soon enough.

mrjinks likes this.
  14. DARTH SILKWORMS

DARTH SILKWORMS Well-Known Member

Where was Sweet and Lowdown released on Blu-ray?

15. stepeanut

It wasn’t.

When John says he is missing one film that is only available on DVD, it doesn’t mean the rest of Woody’s films are available on BD.

mrjinks likes this.
  16. John Lucey

Right, sorry I wasn't clear. I have Sweet and Lowdown on dvd, I think it's a US version--I loaned it to my parents so I can't confirm at the moment

Sweet and Lowdown, Crimes & Misdemeanors and Deconstructing Harry are the ones that I wish that I had on Blu-Ray. I will get a Region-free player and then pick up the Arrow version of C & M.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2020
    stepeanut likes this.
  17. modrevolve

Still can’t believe we don’t have Play It Again Sam on blu-ray yet..

Jerry Horne, John Lucey and kevywevy like this.
  18. stepeanut

Paramount, innit? They’ve only just gotten around to releasing Roman Holiday on BD, and that’s one of the jewels of their catalogue.

John Lucey likes this.
  19. modrevolve

John Lucey likes this.
  20. DARTH SILKWORMS

DARTH SILKWORMS Well-Known Member

Oh, gotcha gotcha. Is your Sweet and Lowdown DVD the flipper disc? Sweet and Lowdown & Deconstructing Harry I have the US DVDs (I think both are flipper discs)? Crimes and Misdemeanors I have the Twilight Time Blu-ray.

John Lucey likes this.
  21. John Lucey

Yes, I think so (flipper).

I missed out on the Twilight Time Crimes and Misdemeanors...I've only seen on sale for over $100 and I just can't get myself to pay that...yet! :laugh:

22. stepeanut

23. realkilroy

realkilroy Forum Resident

I'm curious, is it a BD or BD-R? Divisa is sort of known for using BD-R's sometimes. They definitely released several Twilight Time copies in the past.

24. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Looks better every time I see the trailer.

mrjinks likes this.
  25. stepeanut

It is a factory-pressed BD.

You seem to be implying that Divisa is a pirate distributor. There are certainly many of those in Spain, but Divisa is actually one of the few legit distributors in the country.

I am not aware of Divisa issuing any pirates of Twilight Time titles. If you have any links or photos, I’d like to see them, please.

realkilroy likes this.