Woody Allen movies on Blu-Ray

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by modrevolve, Dec 26, 2013.

1. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

2. John Lucey

John Lucey Forum Resident

stepeanut likes this.
  3. modrevolve

modrevolve Forum Resident Thread Starter

We watched Casablanca/ Play It Again Sam back to back last night. Such a fun and unique movie. What a shame its not on blu-ray yet.

4. Timeless Classics

Timeless Classics Senior Member

I haven't been able to locate an answer anywhere, and was wondering why a lot of Woody Allen movies (especially those released in the 90s) are not available on DVD or Blu-Ray anymore? His available filmography is getting chopped and can't get it anywhere. Woody won't authorize release? Have no idea. There are a lot of films you cannot get.

Scowl likes this.
  5. This Heat

This Heat Forum Resident

Which ones are you looking for? Remember, the Miramax titles are in home video limbo and probably won't be re-released anytime soon, domestically at least. I doubt he owns the rights. The rest seem available on dvd and/ or blu-ray

Timeless Classics likes this.
  6. Timeless Classics

Yes, the films I'm looking for are primarily the Miramax titles of his 90s films. I guess I'm not in the loop - what's going on with all the Miramax titles?

7. Timeless Classics

Nevermind to my Miramax question. I was able to find the answer. It looks like 90s Miramax titles (not Woody films yet) are now starting to be released again, so hopefully his films will be soon to follow. Lots of old Miramax movies are getting new UK Blu-ray releases – Film Stories

8. stepeanut

Finally received the OOP R1 DVD of What’s Up, Tiger Lily?, which is the only edition to feature both versions of the soundtrack. Difficult to find these days, especially for us Brits. In my experience, eBay copies are either beat up, ridiculously expensive, or both. This one didn’t cost me an arm and a leg, and the disc looks brand-new/unplayed. Very happy customer here.

[​IMG]

9. Holerbot6000

Holerbot6000 Forum Resident

Hunting down Woody movies is becoming quite the Easter Egg hunt. I got a copy of Bullets over Broadway DVD from Greece and Mighty Aphrodite from S. Korea. Both are good transfers though. I guess with all the controversy, this situation is not going to improve.

10. stepeanut

Both of those films are available in this German BD box set, which is region-free:

[​IMG]

11. DARTH SILKWORMS

DARTH SILKWORMS Well-Known Member

Tracked down "What's Up, Tiger Lily?" on DVD. So I finally have all 50 Woody directed films that have been released on home video (going by what's listed on WoodyAllen.com). 8 on Blu-ray (4 domestic, 4 Japanese import), 7 on DVD (all domestic) and 35 on Digital HD (purchased on Vudu). Bring on Rifkin's Festival! Any word on a US release?

12. Greenalishi

Greenalishi Birds Aren’t Real

Congratulations. Party at your place ;)

13. DARTH SILKWORMS

As long as you're fully vaccinated, come on over!

I know there are some inaccuracies on Woody's site (he's listed as director of What's New Pussycat? for instance), but since nobody can ever agree on how many films Woody has directed, I decided to just base my collection on his site. His PR people insist Rifkin's Festival is his 51st film, so they must be going by what's listed on his site as well.

14. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

Several of us have shared our thoughts on Rifkin in the Woody film-by-film thread, beginning here. It might interest you…

15. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I have all of his movies on DVD between the single and box set releases covers it all...I wonder are they going to release Blu-ray boxes? Is it worth upgrading?

16. DARTH SILKWORMS

I'd prefer for my first viewing of the film to be in a theater if possible. So I'm willing to wait another year or two if necessary. If there's still no word on a US release after that, I might cave and watch online. I'd imagine after the HBO "documentary" it will be tougher than ever for Woody to get US distribution.

vivresavie and mrjinks like this.
  17. John Lucey

18. John Lucey

19. albert_m

albert_m Forum Resident

I posted about the new set several days ago - apparently it was deleted...??

20. NightGoatToCairo

NightGoatToCairo Forum Resident

21. mrjinks

22. John Lucey

23. mrjinks

Wow, two of the best!

John Lucey likes this.
  24. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

On my side of Atlantic, most of Woody’s movies came out here on BluRay through Twilight Tine, which only presses three thousand copies of each film.

John Lucey likes this.
  25. John Lucey

I’m on your side of the Atlantic too and bought a bunch of the Twilight Time ones. Sadly missed out on Crimes and Misdemeanors.

mBen989 likes this.