Woody Allen movies on Blu-Ray

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by modrevolve, Dec 26, 2013.

1. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

I love Woody, and Larry David, but I think that film is abysmal.

I would encourage anyone who wants to discuss any of his films to post in the film by film thread:
    Woody Allen: Film by Film Thread
    It’s a few years old, but I love to hear people’s thoughts on his films (pro/con) and the thread starter and I would welcome more discussion there.

smilin ed likes this.
  2. modrevolve

modrevolve Forum Resident Thread Starter

Finally picked up a blu-ray copy of Manhattan Murder Mystery during the holiday sale. Man I love this movie. Top five WA for me. His chemistry with Diane Keaton is as strong as ever.

3. vivresavie

vivresavie Forum Resident

This is my sentiment for all of his films. The only one I dislike slightly is Small Time Crooks.

4. Jerry Horne

Jerry Horne WYWH (1975-2025)

Great transfer as well. I had almost forgot there were some vibrant colors in the film!

5. dunkrag

dunkrag Forum Resident

German Blu of Rainy Day in New York just arrived here in UK - will watch tonight..
    So, my Woody Allen Bluray collection is nearly complete.. (at least his Directorial catalogue)

Best options for the following?

I seem to be missing:

Take the Money and Run
    Deconstructing Harry - (not available anywhere in HD apart from digital?)
    Anything Else - (German release available but incorrectly cropped? )
    Sweet And Lowdown
    Melinda & Melinda - (not available anywhere in HD apart from digital?)

6. The only Woody that I dislike is when he thought he was Bergman.

7. Holerbot6000

Holerbot6000 Forum Resident

I recently picked up the Twilight Time version of Broadway Danny Rose on Blu and it's very nice looking. Blu-ray is kind to BW films. I want Stardust Memories too but it's expensive!

Jerry Horne likes this.
  8. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

9. Jerry Horne

It should be noted that Kino messed up the aspect ratio on 'Take the Money and Run'. It was filmed in 1.66 to 1 but the Blu-Ray is 1.85 to 1. So it is cropped on the top and bottom.

g.z. likes this.
  10. stepeanut

It is either the KL, or this Spanish release, if you want the film on BD:

Take the Money and Run Blu-ray Release Date January 5, 2018

Both have the same aspect ratio. To date, those are your only choices.

11. Jerry Horne

$14.95 from TT:

Stardust Memories (Blu-ray)

12. Holerbot6000

Holerbot6000 Forum Resident

woah - thanks mate!

Jerry Horne likes this.
  13. stepeanut

Pleased to announce that I now own every film directed by Woody Allen available on BD :nauga:

14. hyntsonsvmse

hyntsonsvmse Nick Beal

its time that play it again same came out on bluray. I have all his early comedies on bluray. They are truly brilliant.

modrevolve, Jerry Horne and fr in sc like this.
  15. stepeanut

Anyone here picked up the new Kino BD of the 1969 film version of Don’t Drink the Water? Please share your thoughts on the disc and/or film.

I have never seen this 1969 version. Obviously, Woody didn’t direct this one, unlike his 1994 remake for television.

Link:

Don't Drink the Water Blu-ray Release Date April 28, 2020

16. John Lucey

John Lucey Forum Resident

Has anyone here purchased this version? Any idea how it compares to the Twilight Time BD...which I already own but I'm curious.

Thanks!

17. stepeanut

My guess is that it’s the exact same master, and that it’s only “new” to the Japanese market. I highly doubt a more recent scan has been carried out.

I own the U.K. Arrow box sets, and I’m fine with the version of Cairo therein.

Jerry Horne likes this.
  18. John Lucey

Thanks so much!

Has anyone commented on the various versions of A Rainy Day in New York? I had the German version (which I loaned away in an act of COVID kindness) and it looked pretty good. Does anyone know if the UK version or the Polish version look the same/different/better?

19. stepeanut

I am based in the U.K., but went with the German BD because of the earlier release date. I don’t need the U.K. version at this point; the only advantage is the English HoH subtitles, which I don’t really need.

Word on the street is that the Polish edition — the first to be released — has forced subtitles.

20. John Lucey

Thanks! If this is to believed, there is apparently a US version coming in November:

A Rainy Day in New York Blu-ray Release Date November 10, 2020

21. stepeanut

I saw that listing. I’m a Blu-ray.com member, and they are usually fairly reliable with prerelease information. All I can tell you is that there is no mention on the MPI Media Group website, but FWIW I did find this preorder page at Target:

A Rainy Day in New York (Blu-ray)(2020)

I am not interested in owning another edition at this point, so won’t be following this one closely, but it’s perhaps worth you keeping an eye on.

22. John Lucey

Thanks so much. I'm inclined to let my buddy keep my German copy and pick up the North American version for myself.

stepeanut likes this.
  23. modrevolve

great..I will then have them all on blu..We really need a Deconstructing Harry release..

vivresavie, stepeanut and John Lucey like this.
  24. John Lucey

Agreed! Has Sweet & Lowdown been released anywhere on BD?

25. modrevolve

It has not been..

John Lucey likes this.