Woody Allen's "Zelig"

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by guy incognito, May 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member Thread Starter

Just finished watching this on Sundance. Despite being a big Woody fan, I somehow hadn't gotten around to seeing it prior to tonight.

Great movie! More interesting than laugh-out-loud funny, but extremely impressive from a technical standpoint. Anybody else caught this one?

2. guy incognito

D'oh!...I actually meant to post this in the Visual Arts forum, where it really belongs. :o

Could one of the friendly Gorts move it there, please? Thanks!

3. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

I really need to check this out again, I haven't seen it since I was a kid. Of course I didn't get most of the jokes then, but I thought it was funny. I remember seeing or reading about the technical aspects of the film. The film makers used authentic lenses and cameras, "aged" the film in showers and by dragging it on the floor, etc. Pretty cool, NO computers involved. Just old fashioned innovation.

Forgive me for not knowing, but is this on DVD? Is it even still in print on any format?
    Dan C

4. guy incognito

Yep, it's on DVD, both as a standalone volume and as part of the third Woody Allen Collection box set.

5. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

Excellent. I need to see this again. :cool:

Dan C

6. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

I thought the "inserts" of Woody Allen into historical footage was better done on ZELIG than later efforts like FORREST GUMP.

7. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

One of the Woodman's best, IMO. Defintely a precursor to Forrest Gump, etc. Done organically, not with computers. Some of the effects are still eye-popping even today.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.