Woody Guthrie Lost Bonneville Power Recordings Preservation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Vinyl Archaeologist, Jul 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vinyl Archaeologist

Vinyl Archaeologist Forum Resident Thread Starter

I have about 12 of what seem to be 78rpm direct to disc recordings of Woody Guthrie from his time in Portland. They are on "Presto" discs with 3 holes in them and some have taped on labels while other have the song titles carved in the dead wax. I'm curious to learn more about what i might have here if anyone has ideas?

2. Arkay_East

Arkay_East Forum Resident

I think the Presto was a field recorder ...

3. vudicus

vudicus Forum Resident

Sounds interesting. Could you possibly upload some pics for us to drool over.

4. Chemically altered

Chemically altered Forum Resident

Hmm. Most of the Portland recordings were destroyed and survive (mostly) on rare acetates that were recorded in the basement of the Bonneville Power Authority. What exactly have you got?

5. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

If you are lucky, you have a possible holy grail of great historical significance. If you are unlucky, you have a 1940s version of musical piracy. I.e. something the owner of the Presto machine dubbed off radio or another 78.

I'd be careful with playback, as those disc aren't that durable.

6. empirelvr

empirelvr "That's *just* the way it IS!" - Paul Anka

I would contact the Library Of Congress' American Folklife Center, myself.

7. Arkay_East

This is what I'm thinking. It's either an incredible find or a primitive version of a dub.

Fullbug likes this.
  8. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

Reading up on the Presto, many radio stations used them for later broadcasts. Sort of like a BBC session. Chemically altered seems to be very knowledgeable about Woody's sessionography!

Arkay_East likes this.
  9. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Even a dub off a radio could be very significant as lots of radio broadcasts were never officially recorded and/or were recorded but the recordings were not saved.

Remember even as late as 65 the BBC was recording over the master tapes of the Beatles sessions to save on blank tape and storage expenses.

Like 90% of the released Beatles BBC recordings were sourced from folks who recorded them at home.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2017
  10. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

Do NOT attempt to play! There is a possibility that these are actually property of the Library of Congress. When Woody wrote his songs under the BPA they all became the property of the people. See if your titles line up with the released tracks on Smithsonian Folkways. I have 19. What are the titles?

Last edited: Jul 20, 2017
  11. Kevin55

Kevin55 Forum Resident

I would contact the Woody Guthrie Center and archives:

Archives - Woody Guthrie Center

12. Arkay_East

Wow this is kind of exciting! :goodie:

BeatlesBop and Jimmy B. like this.
  13. Vinyl Archaeologist

i'll post some photos when i get home from work the discs have 3 holes

14. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

15. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

Looks like that?

Chemically altered likes this.
  16. Vinyl Archaeologist

yep but with no orange label

17. Vinyl Archaeologist

just black disks with either taped on labels or etched titles

Chemically altered likes this.
  18. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

congratulations on the find!
    It's good that a music fan like you found these at the sale; hopefully with the right resources you'll be able to identify what these are.
    The other forum members' considerable knowledge and great recommendations make me proud to be here...

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 16, 2018
    Jarleboy, halfjapanese and gregorya like this.
  19. Confuseacat

Confuseacat Forum Resident

Are you able to obtain the particulars around who the owner of the discs was? That may come in handy should the experts wish to track the provenance of the discs. Can you share the story of how you landed them? This is pretty exciting stuff!

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 16, 2018
    lightbulb and Chemically altered like this.
  20. Chemically altered

Chemically altered Forum Resident

As others have said, do not play the discs because they will be destroyed as soon as they're played. Contact the Woody Guthrie Center ASAP. They will know what to do, and will not take advantage of you. Enjoy your marvelous find!

21. DO NOT attempt to play these unless you have the correct equipment to play these. With each play, the lacquer discs wear a little and will be damaged beyond repair after only several plays.
    I would contact the Smithsonian and/or the Library of Congress and ask them what to do.
    Presto disc recorders were used by radio stations before and even after the introduction of magnetic recording tape. Many of the Presto recorders cut linearly, as they cut record lacquers today. Presto had some home recorders also. Presto discs were generic and could be used on any record cutting lathe.

stefane and lightbulb like this.
  22. Vinyl Socks

Vinyl Socks The Buzz Driver

I haven't looked up any info about these Portland songs. I'm curious if they have ever been officially released?
    Also, are there any songs deemed to be "lost" from those sessions? Perhaps the OP has them in his possession?

23. Bill Cormier

Bill Cormier Forum Resident

I had a similar experience a few years ago, found a Hank Williams Audiodisc acetate in a thrift store. I called the Country Music Museum in Nashville and they had me play it over the phone for them.
    Unfortunately, they said it was a dub of a commercially released song, probably from a radio station. It would be exciting if this was NOT the case for the Guthrie discs however !

Tommyboy likes this.
  24. Vinyl Archaeologist

25. Vinyl Archaeologist

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.