World’s largest HMV opening in Birmingham, UK

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by Newscot, Oct 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rich100

rich100 Forum Resident

No, the old Toys R Us opposite, it's stood empty for a while so I would imagine there was a deal to be had on the rent.

Dave Decadent and whoman4says like this.
  2. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

I'm sure that will happen in time when the numbers dictate as such.

I don't know why this is a bad thing. I remember some used CD shops I'd go to in high school also had small collections of that kind of stuff, and it was cool. If you care enough about music to be buying vinyl or whatever, it's a lifestyle thing for you, so why not go all in? This place has so much space, it's not like a t-shirt section is bumping a vinyl rack or anything, at which point I'd agree with you. But I think it's all related...posters, t-shirts, etc. Hell, it has been since they started selling Beatles and Monkees merch in the 1960's.

The business strategy is to sell to people for whom music is a lifestyle, not sell a couple Adele CD's to middle-aged moms. (No offense to Adele, who I very much enjoy, or middle-aged moms). I think it's a good plan.

LivingForever likes this.
  3. Music Geek

Music Geek Confusion will be my epitaph

There is still an HMV in the town where I live (Guildford, not far from London) but the last few times I have been there I have always left empty-handed.
    Their jazz section is literally 20 CDs. They don't even stock new releases.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2019
  4. xfilian

xfilian Forum Resident

Touche! :righton:

rich100 likes this.
  5. octophone

octophone immaterial girl

I use this store often. It is often busy around lunchtimes, especially on a Friday (new release day + people getting paid), and on Saturdays. I went in on a midweek morning recently and had the place to myself.

6. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

Yes, I went on Tuesday.

7. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

After all the promises following the sale, my local HMV is still just as crap as it was before - with one new stand of Vinyl.

The nonsense about stocking albums beyond the "greatest hits" for the avid record buyer just didn't follow though.

Man at C&A likes this.
  8. Gavaxeman

Gavaxeman Take me back to dear old Blighty...

To be fair Brum is looking good these days ... a lot of money has been spent

9. Gavaxeman

New station is beautiful ...grand central ..best way to visit

10. Gavaxeman

Also checkout Swordfish records down the road from the new HMV ..one of the last indie shops left in Brum

11. rich100

rich100 Forum Resident

From what I've read, it's going to be a different format to the current HMV's, so mostly physical music and cd's and films but not the naff merch' (could be wrong), also saw mention they will be stocking every 4k available which is welcome.

If anyone does make a special trip, I highly recommend you also take time to visit both Ignite (in the indoor Oasis market opposite), he stocks a nice range of new vinyl. And the other one is Swordfish which is mostly second hand but some new stuff also, he's round the corner near the law courts, looks a bit grim as you walk round but indy shops won't get the good spots in the city.

richierichie and Gavaxeman like this.
  12. rich100

rich100 Forum Resident

Beat me to it :)

Gavaxeman likes this.
  13. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

big fan of swordfish. One day I’ll remember to use my independent Birmingham card to get discount on the second hand vinyl.

Gavaxeman likes this.
  14. dlemaudit

dlemaudit Forum Resident

i go there very often , including week ends , always very quiet , the cd section on top floor in particular and their selection is not that huge

15. richierichie

richierichie My glass is always full.

Every few months me and some mates meet up. alternating beween Manchester & Birmingham for record shopping, a drink or two and to talk sh#te.

It`s Birmingham for the next get together, early November so I`ll be suggesting visits to Swordfish* and Ignite* as well as a trip to the Vault.

Thanks to @rich100 & @Gavaxeman for the tips.

Whether HMV can make this work, I`ve not a clue but unlike some of the nayayers on this thread I wish the man from Canada all the success there is. It`s good to see something to buck the trends. `Fresh air` music will NEVER replace physical music in my universe.

16. oxegen

oxegen Forum Resident

Yes, it is closed.

rikki nadir likes this.
  17. Chee

Chee Forum Resident

How does Second And Charles or Bookmans survive? Hastings went down like a Led Zeppelin.

18. rikki nadir

rikki nadir Gentleman Thug

Here is my experience at my nearest HMV yesterday. I posted this on the discussion on this forum of Jethro Tull's Stormwatch 40th edition boxed set, which has been delayed in the UK for some murkily-explained reason. Some UK fans have obtained, so I thought I would try my luck:

I went to HMV yesterday and they had a notice in the Jethro Tull CD section championing the Stormwatch 40th edition - 'Ask at checkout, Out on Friday!' . When I asked about it I got blank looks until one guy said 'been put back, mate' waving at another of the staff to look it up while he walked off.

The staff member spent 5-10 minutes on the computer and then mumbled 'Fifteenth November' and then went back to his main job of staring out into the mall. No apology, no query to ask if I wanted to pre-order as the sign still in the CD racks advises.

I spent a further ten minutes going through the stock they did have, some of which was unpriced or had a price sticker that had been torn off leaving remnants but no update. Then I left and went 20 feet outside the mall and spent my cash at the secondhand market stall that sells vinyl, CDs, 45s and memorabilia. Then I went home and ordered some stuff on amazon that is arriving later today.

I am still stunned a day later by HMVs astonishing consumer experience.

Man at C&A and Gavaxeman like this.
  19. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Look at it in a positive light. This may not be a retail move for the company, but just an innovative way to solve an inventory issue: instead of blowing-out all the stock they can't sell throughout the world, just send it all to one place! :idea:
    "We have all your Zamfir and Jessica Simpson needs...!" :p

20. Gavaxeman

Telford Hmv staff are very friendly, and have gone out of their way to help me out in the past - they put some smiths stuff to one side when I called to ask if they had stock and was an hour away , also the manager let me have his copy he had put to one side of Johnny Marrs last one on purple vinyl as it was the last one in store.

Great to see the new racks and some proper sale items on vinyl , happy with a clear vinyl A Love Supreme from the last exclusives for a tenner ..lots of blu rays on sale too

21. Gavaxeman

Great flash sale on hmv U.K. website at the moment ..great vinyl deals

22. Gavaxeman

Anyone know of hmv are doing any coloured exclusives again in June...starting to see some pop up on FNAC in France and they are normally similar ..but nothing trailed yet by hmv online or email like normal

Porkpie likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.