Worst album or compilation idea?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DaleClark, Oct 2, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vinyl is final

Vinyl is final Not Insane - I have a sense of humor

Only slightly related: Has anyone ever seen the very old "Star Wars Christmas Special". UnFrickin' believable.

jbmcb, phillyal1, Jarleboy and 5 others like this.
  2. geo50000

geo50000 Forum Resident

I forgot about "I'm A Boy", that would've been a good one too. Also, "Little Billy" was in the can and could've been used.

3. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

[​IMG]

The ATM (For trade only) unofficial series for collectors, put together this "cover" for their version of the recordings. :D

Octavia and Zoot Marimba like this.
  4. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Dude's a legend. Why would he do this...

Yes, this is the Vic Mizzy, regaling the convelescent home on his Montgomery-Ward-edition Bosendorfer, with spoken little ditties his grandchildren can't un-hear...but - BUT-! - also includes actual "performances" of both the Addams Family and Green Acres, where he seems to have crooned over the top of his TeeVeeToons disc (shoulda gotten Gladys down the hall in Room 104 to man the audio, and turned it down a just bit more during the vocal!). Yep - just the thing to put you in the mood for some sprightly mall-walkin! Anybody seen my good pair of Easy Spirits...?

[​IMG]

5. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    I kinda like this album but it doesn’t make much sense.

Chew and marc with a c like this.
  6. mbrownp1

mbrownp1 Forum Resident

Greendale. And the tour was worse.

7. mavisgold

mavisgold Senior Member

8. Wiserforthetime

Wiserforthetime Forum Resident

This is a really bad cover,the UK one was better. The entire first side being Beatles songs too is terrible to do to a solo artist. I'm pretty sure I read that George even offered to sequence an LP for the label and they went with this.

No Bull likes this.
  9. The Surfsider Sing The Beach Boys Songbook is hilariously bad.

10. Hooperfan

Hooperfan Your friendly neighborhood candy store owner

Certainly not today. But at the time, a number of these songs were only available on hard to find albums. But, yeah, looking at the track listing, it seems very incoherent

intv7 and Keith V like this.
  11. Hooperfan

Hooperfan Your friendly neighborhood candy store owner

phillyal1 and Keith V like this.
  12. geo50000

geo50000 Forum Resident

I got roped into buying that one by the cool-looking cover. I got it home, put it on, and it was..."What the hell is this?"
    I took it back to the store, claiming it was defective (I wouldn't have been lying) and got something else.
    Definitely scraping the bottom of the Hendrix barrel. And 3 volumes of this $#!t!

13. KDubATX

KDubATX A Darby Man Never Says When

Pointless comp that misses the point of what exactly is 'spooky' about MJ in the first place.

[​IMG]

Etienne Hanratty and unclefred like this.
  14. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

It was unofficial of course. Nothing to do with the Hendrix estate at the time. Ephron himself put the stuff out.
    The cover photo is from the Royal Albert Hall rehearsals (February 1969).

15. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

It was supposed to be part 4 of the Arista Greatest Hits set with Monkee Business being number 3.
    I’d have to go through the songs on all four albums and see if all the singles are at least there.

Hooperfan likes this.
  16. anth67

anth67 Purveyor of Hogwash

Or all their recent unreleased gems like Glittering Girl, Melancholia, Jaguar, Little Billy, Young Man Blues, Sodding About (and/or Hall of the Mountain King)...and, yeah, Dogs and Magic Bus and Mr. Hyde.

Could've been almost a real album, and a great last gasp of the early Who. What they released just baffles.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019
    geo50000 likes this.
  17. onionmaster

onionmaster Tropical new waver from the future

They were the US owners of Queen's catalogue and the DVD sources from pre-existing official DVDs...still

18. anth67

The winner. A senselessly wasted opportunity.

Frozensoda likes this.
  19. tmoore

tmoore Forum Resident

One wonders what songs US Decca was aware of. I wouldn't be surprised if they were NOT aware of a lot of these songs at that point in time, given that you have an English group and a US label (especially a "not-with-the-times" one such as Decca). I suspect that Townshend and co. were not happy with Decca by now (thought I remembered reading they felt that "I Can See For Miles" should have been a bigger US hit than it was -- they definitely felt that way about "Pinball Wizard ---- but that was still in the future at this point). Or --- maybe -- they had bigger plans for tying those other songs together, and didn't want to release some of them on a "leftovers" compilation.

I was keeping my list confined to songs Decca had issued on singles (A- or B-sides) up to that point and had not released on LP -- songs that Decca definitely knew about at the time this LP was compiled.

My catalogs are at home and I will not be able to look at them until later, to make such a list (of songs that had already appeared on US Decca 45s). Presumably that info is online also, but I don't always trust what I see online.

anth67 likes this.
  20. No Bull

No Bull Forum Resident

part musical...part cartoon, part variety show.. part live tv. all awful. I hade never heard of this until now... it has the original cast!! wow.. and this introduced Boba Fett (sic) incredible.

P.S. Bea Arthur is in this! so excited.

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  21. davebush

davebush New Test Leper

I made the mistake of buying this. 3 CDs of material by KC related musicians. None of it very memorable.

[​IMG]

22. Mark B.

Mark B. Forum Resident

I sometimes play the CD of this for the kids at the elementary school where I work. They like it okay, but it's no "We Will Rock You ".

Jarleboy likes this.
  23. dezz

dezz Forum Resident

Ethel Merman's Disco album's pretty dreadful - so bad it borders on hilarious.

Jarleboy likes this.
  24. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

It’s kinda weird...
    I’m still glad I have it and when I want to play it it’s exactly because it’s such a messy, misleading, thrown-together cash grab!

geo50000 and anth67 like this.
  25. anth67

Good point about the U.S.-exclusive throw-together product. I just wish the band would've proactively compiled something for universal release (also in '70 & '72, for that matter, in addition to '68). But they were probably just so forward looking at that juncture, youthfully unconcerned with their "legacy."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.