Worst Banshees song?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Black Magic Woman, Jun 3, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. theghostinyou

theghostinyou Forum Resident

Almost anything off their first two albums for me. Just not my thing. However I love nearly everything else that followed

themisto likes this.
  2. theghostinyou

Peepshow trumps Juju for me. It's crazy artistic, unique, and the lyrics are much stronger than on Juju.

3. theghostinyou

Grrr Superstition is not terrible. It flows better than most of their albums and has some amazingly catchy tunes. You must dislike pop/new wave music to not like it

4. theghostinyou

How can you say that when Superstition contains the ghost in you, little sister, kiss them for me and drifter!? Also have you even heard the eclipse mix of shadowtime? Smh :rant:

5. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Same here. I think its their best.

themisto likes this.
  6. rubberhead

rubberhead I've never made a bad record

No.

7. theghostinyou

Sorry but I can't take people who list Superstition as their worst seriously. It had very strong melodies, vocals and well crafted pop rock songs. It was different than anything else they've done. My guess is people were just butt hurt over the Banshees doing more of a pop album. If it were any other band it would be yielded as a classic :waiting:

8. Pavol Stromcek

Pavol Stromcek Senior Member

I love pop/new wave music and dislike Superstition. So there!

tin ears likes this.
  9. theghostinyou

Tsk tsk...why don't you like it then?:wantsome:

Last edited: May 20, 2019
  10. manxman

manxman Forum Resident

I can't say why anyone else rates Superstition as mediocre, but to these ears it's a rather bland and vapid album with none of the darkness that had always been at the core of the Banshees' sound. Whether Stephen Hague was the right producer for them is debatable: the glossy pop sheen he brought worked brilliantly on "Kiss Them For Me", but it's the only great song on the album. More fundamentally, I think the Banshees had simply run out of inspiration, as The Rapture is a pretty uninteresting album too.

themisto likes this.
  11. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

It may be the greatest final album any band has done IMO.

lechiffre and Jeremy Holiday like this.
  12. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

I like Superstition for what it is. The band went for a pop sound, but it worked fine. "Kiss Them For Me", "Drifter", "Little Sister", "Shadowtime" , "Silver Waterfalls", "Softly" and "The Ghost In You" are pretty strong numbers and Siouxsie sounds really comfortable singing them.
    Regarding The Rapture, I haven't been able to really connect with that album yet, but I don't dislike it.

13. Pavol Stromcek

Pavol Stromcek Senior Member

I just find it to be rather bland and uninteresting melodically. It's not terrible (like The Rapture is, IMO), but just not very engaging to me.

When I want what I consider to be strong melodies, I go for Tinderbox. To me, a much better example of the Banshees doing (smart) pop would be "Cities in Dust."

themisto likes this.
  14. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

You need to be careful - others rate first two albums as their best and you slagged those off up above. This is a forum and neither opinion is "right" or "correct" about early or later works.

I love Superstition, but I'm also a fan of Stephen Hague's style. He produced work that I love by New Order, Pet Shop Boys and Madonna. But Siouxsie herself doesn't like this album or his production, according to official bio. So musical tastes are extremely subjective.

15. Droogmeister

Droogmeister Welcome to the Atrocity Exhibition

I'd say it was a vast improvement over the original, as was the Banshees version of Helter Skelter.

16. Steve G

Steve G Senior Member

Happy house

17. theghostinyou

Well at least we can agree on The Rapture being a bit of a bore

Pavol Stromcek likes this.
  18. theghostinyou

Absolutely. Superstition is a tossup for my fave album along with Peepshow so I'll defend it for life haha. It's cool if people love their first 2 albums. I personally find them rather unlistenable and the few times I've listened to them I skipped through most of the songs as it's a bit too "noisy" for me.
    And yes I've heard she doesn't like the album or production but I think it's a great album. It's fun and bright with catchy hooks while also showing emotion and vulnerability. The ghost in you and little sister are both in my top ten Banshees songs with kiss them for me not far behind.

19. theghostinyou

For me that would go to The Police "Synchronicity"

20. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips?

The Rapture is a far better album than people give it credit for, it suffers a bit from “Second Stone Roses album syndrome” ie. it’s fashionable to mock it.

The Scream is a classic post punk album, and side 1 of Join Hands is also immense.

tin ears, lechiffre and Droogmeister like this.
  21. SCOTT1234

SCOTT1234 Senior Member

I wouldn't want to dampen your own enthusiasm, and it's all a matter of individual taste in the end, but you're trying to tell me I can't be serious if I don't agree that Superstition is the best Banshees album and The Scream/Join hands are the worst? You're having a laugh!

22. Droogmeister

Droogmeister Welcome to the Atrocity Exhibition

:-popcorn:

23. Moshe

Moshe "Silent in four languages."

I don’t think there are any worst songs.
    A few I like maybe less than others, but they don’t really have a bad song.

I like the ones mentioned.
    Helter Skelter I like.
    Peek-A-Boo is great fun.
    I like pretty much all of them.
    You can’t go wrong with Banshees.

Last edited: May 20, 2019
    Droogmeister likes this.
  24. theghostinyou

I didn't say it had to be your best. I said if you list it as their worst I can't take your opinion seriously :crazy:

25. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips?

You’ll be trying to tell us Seven Year Itch is better than Nocturne next......

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.