Worst Brand or Model Names?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Cyclone Ranger, Aug 8, 2022.

1. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

OCD would be an excellent brand...if it existed...

2. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

I'd hope not. Actual OCD is a disorder that negatively impacts those affected, sometimes greatly. It isn't something to make fun of. It isn't funny.

Schiit is a punny and funny name for an audio company. A company trying the same thing with OCD initials would be neither punny nor funny.

Fishoutofwater likes this.
  3. mwheelerk

I certainly mean no ill towards those who truly suffer with this affliction but a little light hearted use of the term hurts no one..and I feel somewhat OCD myself about this thing called music...

jonwoody likes this.
  4. Ham Sandwich

Being precise about setup and dialing things in precisely for best sound quality is not OCD. Actual OCD is way beyond that and becomes debilitating and would not be a bad thing for an audiophile to be afflicted with. There are certainly some audiophiles who have OCD or hoarding disorder (related to OCD). It wouldn't be appropriate for an audio company to be making fun or pun of OCD.

Fishoutofwater likes this.
  5. mwheelerk

Okay, you win. I am an insensitive bore. My apologies to all of those who suffer from a difficult aflliction.

6. Monsieur Gadbois

Monsieur Gadbois Senior Member

Forsell. They make excellent audio equipment, especially turntables.

[​IMG]

7. Cyclone Ranger

Cyclone Ranger New old stock Thread Starter

Eh, I thought it was funny. At least a little. :)

It’s a somewhat well-earned stereotype among audiophiles, if we’re honest about it. Even if it’s more accurately described as ‘anal-retentive’ or neurotic than true OCD.

jonwoody and mwheelerk like this.
  8. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Before Ortofon, the company was FonoFilm. Sound for cinemas.

9. McLover

McLover Senior Member

PT= Physical Terrorism (know it too well). Physical Therapy. Physiotherapy to the non Yank English speaking world.

10. McLover

McLover Senior Member

....Repair,...or Recovery!

Randoms likes this.
  11. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

Especially the way it's pronounced by the Japanese: "hee-tahch."

McLover likes this.
  12. Larry I

Larry I Senior Member

At the dawn of the internet era, Matsushita Electric tried to register their domain name. The American company that had the exclusive right to do registrations had a program that automatically rejected certain words and phrases that it listed as inappropriate (of course, based on English). Guess what four-letters in "Matsushita" got their name to be rejected.

McLover, jonwoody and doctor fuse like this.
  13. F-Stop Fitzgerald

F-Stop Fitzgerald Full Fathom Five

Crosley gets a well-deserved kicking around these parts, but my Crosley refrigerator has already lasted longer than the Maytag I replaced it with. My Crosley deep freeze unit is a fine piece of equipment too. In fact, most rental property owners in this area stick to Crosley when buying appliances for their units.

That said, one would be better off just setting fire to a pile of dollar bills than to invest in one of their "turntables". Kitchen appliance quality =/= audio quality.

14. Colin M

Colin M Forum Resident

You are obviously not into home espresso making sadly.:shake:
    [​IMG]

jonwoody likes this.
  15. Ham Sandwich

Oh I'm familiar with coffee and espresso gear. I spend too much time and money on coffee stuff.

The OCD name stood for "Ona Coffee Distributor" and was sold by Ona Coffee. I'm not sure if the OCD abbreviation was an intentional play on obsessive compulsive disorder. But the current version of that tool has a new name and is now the NCD for Nucleus Coffee Distributor.

jonwoody and stereoptic like this.
  16. fish

fish Senior Member

Most offensive to my ears.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

jonwoody and Aftermath like this.
  17. fish

fish Senior Member

2nd most offensive to my ears.

[​IMG]

jonwoody likes this.
  18. Gordon Crisp

Gordon Crisp Forum Resident

I chuckled!

19. Colin M

Colin M Forum Resident

Is this a bad name or bad kit? I think the Steepletone Capitol Music has it beat on both fronts…how about a wood effect plastic?

[​IMG]

jonwoody and fish like this.
  20. edd2b

edd2b Forum Resident

Glad someone got there with an explanation of Roksan, and cos like me thoy also be in Glozshire! :laugh:

The theory behind Naim though varies. Most of their product names are anograms, but Naim is either part pun by their founder on naming or a Jewish Boys name by same, also meaning ‘sweetness and light’ or Middle Eastern for excellence!

‘Boulder’ is another unusual name, but commendably from its place of origin.

My pet hate is anything with the word ‘tone’ in it! :nyah:

Last edited: May 26, 2023
  21. fish

fish Senior Member

Not many of these left around after Stuxnet.

[​IMG]

jonwoody, SamS and Helom like this.
  22. Larry I

Larry I Senior Member

Naim is, according to Julian Vereker, the company founder, their play on "name." They were probably too busy to bother thinking of anything else. At lest it wasn't something hard to pronounce or spell like modern drugs or Ikea shelving.

jonwoody likes this.
  23. vwestlife

vwestlife Forum Resident

Crosley appliances and Crosley electronics are two separate companies no relation to each other, other than the brand name. Neither company actually manufactures anything.

Crosley appliances are made by Frigidaire or Whirlpool. (And FYI, Maytag appliances are also made by Whirlpool.) Crosley electronics are made by various OEMs; many of their turntables are made by Hanpin, which is also the OEM for most Audio-Technica turntables. Their high-end turntables are rebranded Pro-Ject models.

Helom likes this.
  24. fish

fish Senior Member

nosliw likes this.
  25. manxman

manxman Forum Resident

When redecorating my home, I chose a beige/mushroom shade of paint. Its name? "Muddy Puddle."

jonwoody and Colin M like this.