Worst Edit you've ever heard...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Apollo C. Vermouth, May 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tvstrategies

tvstrategies Turtles, all the way down.

Why, oh why is Hendrix’ Rainy Day two songs when it’s so much better as one?

Rainy Day Dream Away + Still Raining Still Dreaming

Use Audacity to edit them together by splicing in the latter just as the “walking” guitar starts, before the former begins to fade out.

Magic

ChazFromCali and Colinjpush like this.
  2. rednoise

rednoise Senior Member

The "why oh why" is that it makes a lot of sense in the context of LP sides. I like the flow of the album with the split track.

I also edited the two halves together several years ago. I like the edit, but it's not seamless. The two parts are mixed and eq'ed rather differently, so the seam is obvious. I did what I could to disguise the break, but I still can't help hearing it every time.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2021
    Colinjpush likes this.
  3. sotosound

sotosound Forum Resident

But you could be right. :)

The one that jumps out is towards the fade, where they sing “And in you I put all my faith and trust” for the second time. The remix for the US edition of The No 1’s fixes it.

Hall Cat likes this.
  4. Retro Music Man

Retro Music Man Forum Resident

In the '70s, Sydney's top rating pop station was 2SM, owned by the Catholic Church. They were very fussy about suggestive lyrics.

Apparently, whenever they played "Maggie May" by Rod Stewart, they edited out the following line:

All you did was wreck my bed, and in the morning, kick me in the head
    Now that's censorship! :D

5. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

"I'm so awful goddamn glad I'm not in your shoes" would have gotten anyone in trouble? I can't imagine anyone would have even noticed.

6. HappyFingers

HappyFingers Forum Resident

The original UK 45 releases of:
    Love - Alone Again Or
    The Easybeats - Good Times

TimeWarper and sotosound like this.
  7. Hall Cat

Hall Cat Senior Member

I think there might be another one right before that

8. classicrockguy

classicrockguy Forum Resident

Where is there a bad edit in that song?

9. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

You don't know what you're talking about, person from one of the largest radio markets I've ever worked, who didn't grow up like I did, in one of the smallest and most conservative on the Arbitron list.

10. fictionalsounds

fictionalsounds Forum Resident

agreed. it's a killer guitar solo that just kicks the song into overdrive!

TimeWarper and blehman like this.
  11. no.nine

no.nine (not his real name)

Really? I didn't know that there were any stock copies with both songs unedited. I thought it was just "Kuiama". I just did a quick scan of random UA & Jet/CBS copies on Discogs, and it seems that the edited versions appear on the CBS copies. Whether there are also any UA copies with the edits, I don't know, but I didn't find any just now. I didn't find any with only the edited "Kuiama" either, so I was probably wrong about that.

12. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Yeah, mine (with the full versions) was a UA copy. And that was in print for more than a year before the CBS/Jet deal, so there's a load of them out there.

no.nine likes this.
  13. classicrockguy

classicrockguy Forum Resident

I thought I heard a clumsy edit in the Beach Boys song "Hold On Dear Brother" from the Carl and the Passions album, at about 2:25 in this video. Kind of hard to tell though, sounds like the song skips a bit or something

14. Jerk The Handle

Jerk The Handle Electrician

All Depeche Mode singles up to the late 90s. They're all ridiculously inferior to the album versions :laugh:

15. Cracklebarrel

Cracklebarrel Forum Resident

Only just today - on the occasion of the death of Charlie Watts - and with headphones, did I notice the rather obvious, but still well-executed splice at the :05-second mark of Start Me Up.

That massive snare hit reverb just disappears with the riff. In just a year or two, it might pass for gated-snare.

So maybe not the worst - but one so obvious I can't believe I didn't notice before. Also, edits used to bother me so much more, especially as a kid, than they do now.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2021
  16. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

??? Most of them are the album versions and I can't think of any that are ridiculously inferior, most just fade out a bit earlier or have a slightly shorter intro. Only Personal Jesus is significantly edited and that's understandable for a 7" version. There are no clunky edits.

17. ranking chamois

ranking chamois Forum Resident

I haven't read through the whole thread so I hope this hasn't already been mentioned, but there's a right clunker circa 4:58 on Dr John's I Walk On Gilded Splinters - sounds like someone actually did walk on a splinter as they were doing it!

18. old45s

old45s MP3 FREE ZONE

...and don't forget their edited versions of Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey, Sweet Virginia (Stones), The Ballad Of John And Yoko, He Did With Me (Vicki Lawrence) and In The Year 2525.
    I
    have (on tape) copies of all their edited versions of songs... the aforementioned are some of the songs with the naughty bits cut out.. however they did some brilliant editing to versions
    of songs they played... mainly to the longer versions they wished to shorten for airplay>>>>>
    Perhaps their best was their 8 min. edit of Rick Wakeman's Journey To The Centre Of The Earth which was 20 mins each side of the LP. Not only did the 2SM engineers choose the best 'bits' of the album to include in the edit, they (in one part) had the narrator "voiced over" a musical bit which worked really well. They also had a good edit of Child In Time (Deep Purple) which (in round figures) was the first 3 mins of the song cross-faded to the last 45 secs of the song. Their 2 edited versions of Thick As A Brick were quite good as well.

Speaking of edits.. I can remember hearing Don McClean in an interview back in '72 on the radio. He said he didn't know that radio stations were playing a "single" version of American Pie.
    He said he'd never heard it before until he visited Australia.. and it wasn't a local thing, it was worldwide!

One of the best edits I've heard was the single version of The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face. (Roberta Flack).
    It's like.. the album version was made to edit!
    On the album, the three long verses are repeated... on the single, the repeat verse is edited out on all three. Works perfectly!

Daddy Cool's Come Back Again single version has most of the brilliant guitar(s) solo edited out. Sacrilege!
    Also Spectrum's I'll Be Gone single version has a nice harmonica edited out.

The Australian single version of Tubular Bells was a beautiful blend of the best bits of both sides of the LP.
    It's the version with the actual "bells" on the intro as opposed to the "Exorcist" version.. and the "roll call" version that 2SM played.

Retro Music Man and Colinjpush like this.
  19. Vox78

Vox78 Forum Resident

The brutal edit of U2’s New Year’s Day on the U218 comp decapitates the Edge’s solo before it has a chance.

20. J Alesait

J Alesait Forum Resident

Awful edit, at the 0:20 mark on this video:

21. thetman

thetman Forum Resident

Queen Live at the Rainbow CD- breaks up Keep yourself alive into 3 separate tracks..awful awful editing. Why not just keep it as one song?
    If playing the cd as a whole not that big of deal I guess- but ripping and playing it on my touch or something it sucks.

22. SonyTek

SonyTek Forum Resident

Just curious, what were the "naughty" lyrics in "In The Year 2525"? Or did they just not like the part about "from the bottom of a long glass tube"? Or, "If God's comin', he ought to make it by then"? Did they consider that sacrilegious?

23. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

She Loves You...

24. Heavy Metal Snow White

Heavy Metal Snow White Just A Rock N' Roll Clown

Jimmy Page gave zero you-know-whats.

25. steviej

steviej Forum Resident

I'm not familiar with that compilation, but if it's the standard single edit that I've heard on other compilations, I actually prefer it to the album version. That last bridge/verse part of the song adds nothing and I'm always happy to hear it jump back into the chorus after the solo.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.