Worst Edit you've ever heard...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Apollo C. Vermouth, May 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. flaxton

flaxton Forum Resident

I did buy the the single first and alright now by Free. Love the single and album versions. Also White Room by Cream.

Man at C&A likes this.
  2. sixtieswerebest

sixtieswerebest Forum Resident

I believe we don't get a taste of the real world when we hear the single of Miracles by Jefferson Starship.

ARK, Tom Perry and mBen989 like this.
  3. InStepWithTheStars

InStepWithTheStars It's a miracle, let it alter you

I'll put my opinion of "Won't Get Fooled Again" down here - the single edit is massively inferior, but as far as edits go, it's competently done, with nothing excessively jarring unless you're accustomed to the long version. By that, I mean that someone who hadn't heard the song before could listen to the edit and not think it was edited. There's no major change in tempo or drive caused by the edit, and it's certainly interesting to listen to a song I know in my bones and still be surprised by it.

But in terms of what I want to listen to, the full version wipes the floor with the single.

4. Deadwax Jones

Deadwax Jones Forum Resident

Love the song, but “Do It Til You’re Satisfied” has the worst edit I’ve ever heard on its album version. Included here at 2:10.

I bought the CD several years ago and thought the CD itself was screwed up when I first heard it, but that jarring change is in every version on other media too.

5. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Never heard the song before but even to me the edit is appalling on my first listen!

Man at C&A likes this.
  6. Michel_LeGrisbi

Michel_LeGrisbi Far-Gone Accumulator ™

I have a Promo of AC/DC's "For Those About To Rock..." at least 1 measure is cut before the rhythm guitar starts & the whole thing is pitched up, not good.

7. statcat

statcat Forum Resident

what exactly is going on at 1:35? Sounds like a jarring edit to me.

8. kinkkontroversy

kinkkontroversy Forum Resident

I was seeing how far it would be before I heard that one here.

MrSka57 and WillieDaPimp like this.
  9. kinkkontroversy

kinkkontroversy Forum Resident

I don't even pick up on it lmao

SonyTek likes this.
  10. jimjim

jimjim Forum Resident

AlienRendel likes this.
  11. Jonny W

Jonny W Forum Resident

Incredible!

12. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

The old Syndication?-TV version of the Monkees Theme Song.

13. Mulderre

Mulderre 60s and 70s Music Lover

14. Mulderre

A note on Autobahn. The label in the UK version specifically mentions "Highlights from Kraftwerk' album Autobahn". And it's completely different from the US version.

15. Exotiki

Exotiki The Future Ain’t What It Use To Be

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x10ljs9

Definitely a few clunkers in there.

jdicarlo likes this.
  16. Mulderre

Supremes/Four Tops single edit of River Deep Mountain High. Second chorus completely butchered.

sotosound likes this.
  17. Mulderre

Can we mention the atrocity of Lyin' Eyes? Talk about destroying a song!

18. jimjim

jimjim Forum Resident

Wrong answer - the UK edit is one of the greatest works of editing ever done. US one is OK but it lacks the urgency that the UK one has (even if it does have the flute-led section that the other leaves out).

EDIT: Sorry, this was directed the previous poster. Not you Mulderre...

19. tim_neely

tim_neely Forum Hall Of Fame

This 45 isn't supposed to exist. What is the catalog number, B-side, and ZSS numbers of both sides?

According to the still photo, it looks like the catalog number is 4-46028, which was actually used for a Johnny Cash single, "Ragged Old Flag"/"Don't Go Near the Water", released in March 1974. The matrix number looks like ZSS 159673, which I can't find associated with another CBS 45, but seems to date from mid to late 1974. (Those other 45s with ZSS numbers in the same range came out after the CBS label changed its numbers and started using a black "starburst" on the label.)

That this record isn't listed on Discogs, 45cat, Popsike, Worthpoint or especially on any Springsteen collector's site is interesting, too.

20. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

Do you mean the closing theme ("For Pete's Sake")? That was pretty badly edited. But the opening theme wasn't an edit - the TV theme is a different recording than the longer album track version. (For one thing, the TV theme comes to a full ending after "...coming to your town," whereas the album version fades out.

Lost In The Flood and goodiesguy like this.
  21. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

how about the lead guitar break in Aime! Pure Prairie League!

22. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

Yes, you're right, it was the closing theme, of course!

23. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

If you want to hear a bad edit of the opening theme, you'll have to listen in Italian. "Tema dei Monkees" was recorded for the opening credits, and then the label in Italy extended that 40-second track to song length with repeats and the instrumental sections of the standard album track, and issued it as a single.

24. Cookie!

Cookie! Forum Resident

Van Morrison - Brown Eyed Girl: An edit was made that censored the line "Makin' love in the green grass..." with an awful, obvious copy/paste job that involved taking the line "laughin' and a' runnin' " from earlier in the recording and patching it over the apparently offending lyrics.

This may have not ended up being such a big deal, however in 1990 upon the release of The Best Of Van Morrison compilation, someone involved in the compiling accidentally pulled a tape of "Brown Eyed Girl" with the censoring edit which led to it being used for the well selling compilation. This caused this edit of "Brown Eyed Girl" to be distributed and heard pretty widely. This was corrected later on in the '90s when The Best Of Van Morrison was reissued.

All Down The Line likes this.
  25. jdicarlo

jdicarlo Forum Resident

I’ve heard some of the Sirius stations inconsistently play a version of “Money for Nothing” that clumsily removes the “that little ******” verse, while other times they just play the normal single edit.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.